Starting New

Options
NJDad
NJDad Posts: 37 Member
I'm 42 and getting back into shape. Who's in?

Replies

• Fraz1self
    Fraz1self Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm in. Need to get to gym, but struggling to get motivated.
  • mirandagirl2
    mirandagirl2 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Best of luck to you ☺ Feel free to add
  • Madmadz77
    Madmadz77 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Just got back myself after a long absence. Feel free to add.
  • NJDad
    Options
    @Fraz1self -- I wasn't getting to the gym so I picked up Focus T25 to do at home. I like it so far. Maybe you want to check it out. If you live in NJ, SI, or near LA check out a boot camp called Max Fitness or The Max Challenge. It was pretty good and very motivating.
  • NJDad
    Options
    What programs are you guys doing? I have a hard time getting to the gym with my work schedule (lounge commute), so I'm trying at at home program. I was thinking about one of the P90s, but finally opted for the T25. Just started but I like it. It's only 25 minutes but it's killer.
  • sher6648
    sher6648 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/p90-workout.do

This is the workout program I am doing. It's called P90. It's brand new from the creator of P90x, Power 90 and all the rest. It is meant for people that are trying to get back into it or just starting out! I have loved every second of it. It comes with all the DVDs you need, resistance bands, an easy to follow recipe book, a book of tips for successful weight loss, and the workout schedule you follow with two 90 programs to follow (the cardio-based sweat program - or the muscle-based sculpt program). I suggest you look up a few other people's experiences too but it's pretty amazing!

Whatever you plan to do - have fun with it because it's not worth doing if it's not fun!
  • dillianavramov
    dillianavramov Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi NJDad,

I'm 41 and started a month ago.

I'm partial to P90X3 (a 30 minutes version of P90X), my core is quite weak after years of neglecting my body, so I'm working on that - planks, side planks, pushups, squats, resistance bands training. I'm yet to join a gym for some iron and cable training. T25 is quite focused on cardio if I'm not wrong. For cardio I'm using walks, some sprints, and stationary bike. Weekly goal 4000 cals from exercises.

Do you follow a certain regime - like paleo/primal, ketogenic, etc? I'm doing keto right now opting for resetting my metabolism and then thinking of switching to paleo/primal for long-term continued weight-loss and maintenance.

Good luck on your journey to a better, healthier self!
  • NJDad
    Options
    Hi NJDad,

I'm 41 and started a month ago.

I'm partial to P90X3 (a 30 minutes version of P90X), my core is quite weak after years of neglecting my body, so I'm working on that - planks, side planks, pushups, squats, resistance bands training. I'm yet to join a gym for some iron and cable training. T25 is quite focused on cardio if I'm not wrong. For cardio I'm using walks, some sprints, and stationary bike. Weekly goal 4000 cals from exercises.

Do you follow a certain regime - like paleo/primal, ketogenic, etc? I'm doing keto right now opting for resetting my metabolism and then thinking of switching to paleo/primal for long-term continued weight-loss and maintenance.

Good luck on your journey to a better, healthier self!

Well, 5 days in and I'm down a pound so, so far so good.

Re diet regime. Tried paleo, lost like 8 pounds in a month but didn't like it honestly. I don't doubt the science, is hummus really the worst thing in the planet if I'm eating whole foods?

Now I'm doing 80% vegan during the day and adding lean animal protein (chicken and fish mostly) at night. Doing that on advice of my dr because of high cholesterol. Did it for 3 weeks with a walking regime and lost a pound. Switched up walking with the T25 and that's another pound. We'll see how it goes.

The thing is my calories are low for my weight, I think. I rarely go over 2,200 when I'm not dieting. Now I'm sticking around 1600 and going up to 1900 if I'm hungry. With all the fiber and vegetables I'm eating, I don't get hungry unless it's time to eat so I find this is easier to stick to that I thought it would be.

I did cut back on strength training for the time being. I had started strong lifts. I previously did starting strength and worked out in a strength and conditioning gym which got me really strong but I wasn't really watching the weight so I ended up getting fatter while getting stronger.

So I figured I'd reset to a beginning weight (empty bar) and do strong lifts with T25, but my body is still getting used to the workout so I'm sticking with just the one workout 6 days a week and add strength back when I start to adapt (to put it another way, I wake up at 5 am and get home after 7pm. I'm exhausted after a full day so I'd rather make sure I get sleep before I add a second workout).

I really want to do P90X3. I half regret getting the T25 first but a couple of people said they thought it was a good place to start and to go into the P90 series after 10 weeks.

We'll see. Everything is moving in the right direction. I get my blood test in pct

Thanks for the inspiration and best of luck in your journey.
  • NJDad
    Options
    @sher6648 are you using one of their coaches? I had one assigned to me and she is great. Not pushy with sales and she is helping with nutrition.