Can drinking fit in with weight loss

Options
has anyone found that they can still drink moderately (two days a week in my case, never more than a 6 pack of light beer in one sitting) and successfully meet weight loss goals ? Does drinking have to go by the wayside or can they go together somehow. Drinking never seemed to be a problem but I'm noticing as the years go by that even light beers are having a negative impact. Wondering how others are able to balance this out in their lives, thanks in advanced !

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Set aside the calories like you do for anything else you eat or drink.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,071 Member
    Options
    I met my weight loss goal while continuing to drink in moderation.

Of course, I logged any calories drunk and kept within my calorie allowance.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Calories from drinking can better be used on healthy food. Also, it throws your metabolism off because part of the calories expended to keep your body warm and alive are being used to fight off the effects of alcohol. My sister has cancer and has been through three or four rounds of chemo over the past few years, but continues to drink and smoke. She looks like a wizened old skeleton, and when questioned, says that her doctor says to keep doing whatever she's doing. I guess he says that because she hasn't died yet.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,071 Member
    Options
    I guess the doctor says that because the cancer is too advanced so she might as well enjoy doing whatever she enjoys for the remainder of her life.

For other people, those trying to lose weight, which I presume is not people with terminal cancer - yes, sure, calories from drinking CAN be used on healthy food. So could calories from, say, chocolate.

But I enjoy chocolate so I find a way to fit it into my calorie goal, within moderation.
    Likewise with alcoholic drinks.
    Certainly hasn't 'thrown my metabolism off'
  • MicheleStitches
    MicheleStitches Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the beers. Check what you are eating in addition to the beers and don't mindlessly snack while you are drinking. Plan ahead for those days you are going to indulge and make sure the beer is part of your allotted calorie requirements. Also, unless you actually ENJOY light beer, don't waste your time with those. They are not really significantly lower in calories (Bud Lite is only 25 calories less than regular Budweiser for example.) If you are going to treat yourself to an adult beverage, make it something you really get pleasure from ad savor it!

And to answer your other question: yes, I am losing a pound a week and I have not removed alcohol from my diet.
  • zane856
    zane856 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone !! I have a question for those who said to make it fit in the calorie allowance for the day. I know logically this makes sense but in practice seems impossible. So if I get 1200 calories, and I know 600 is going to be spent on beer, I make sure each of my 3 meals is only 200 calories ? I think that would work only up until I started drinking and then I'd want to eat everything, haha. But is that how you guys successfully do it ?

Counting calories is all so new to me so I'm trying to get a better handle on it, any tips are appreciated!! I do eat healthy and exercise a lot so the beers are not coming after a giant pizza or anything fun like that (tho a giant pizza may be followed by the beers...) but even despite the healthy eating, the beers seem to be getting me. One day I'll likely give it up but hopefully not yet !! Thanks everyone !
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I lost all of my 40-50 Lbs whilst consuming spiritous beverages. I took it easy on the beer though.
  • Whitmo58
    Whitmo58 Posts: 1 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    You can drink in moderation and count the calories but I found that cutting alcohol out altogether not only helped me drop weight rapidly, I feel better and have more drive and energy to do things like exercise or work around the house. Now that 14.5 lbs are gone in 38 days maybe I can celebrate with a beer!
  • zane856
    Options
    Oh and bonus points for the girl who told me to drink fun beer instead of light beer!! Best advice ever, I'll be getting some ciders tonight ! :)
  • youdontknowwhatyousaw
    Options
    Bottle of wine last night, weight loss this morning. Just plan it into your day or week, depending on how you track calories.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Don't waste your precious calories on lite beer. :s Life is too short!!
  • jdleanna
    jdleanna Posts: 141 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I have 1 or 2 glasses of wine most nights. Hasn't stopped my weight loss and I'm down 10 pounds. I log my wine and fit it in, along with a snack. I have to say I have no idea how you'd fit 600 calories worth of beer if you're on 1200 calories total. That doesn't leave you enough for actual needed nutrition. So I guess I'd say spend a few days banking your calories... exercise daily, and don't eat back those calories. Save them and eat them back on your drinking days.

Or drink less. If you're only on 1200 calories you need to watch your nutrient intake.
  • zane856
    Options
    I was wondering about the "banking" calories. Does it really work that way? I'm all for saving an extra 100-200 calories a day and forgoing snacks if it leaves me extra for the weekend, but wasn't sure if it does work on a weekly basis that way or only a daily basis ??
  • queenliz99
    Options
    I was wondering about the "banking" calories. Does it really work that way? I'm all for saving an extra 100-200 calories a day and forgoing snacks if it leaves me extra for the weekend, but wasn't sure if it does work on a weekly basis that way or only a daily basis ??

I bank my calories. So yes.
  • zane856
    Options
    The more I learn about counting calories the better it's sounding ! I was really hesitant about starting it but it's not turning out to be so bad. Thank you !
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

Yep. I have to bank my calories for my weekend old fashioned/wine/chinese food/pizza/ etc. Even in maintenance.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you skip food, you can drink your calories and still lose weight.
  • xjessicaxrx
    xjessicaxrx Posts: 144 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I go out nearly every weekend and get legless, usually end up with a kebab on my way home too and i have still been losing every week. I have lost 22lb since 1st of June 2015. I just work really hard sun-fri to stick to my calorie limit
  • queenliz99
    Options
    I go out nearly every weekend and get legless, usually end up with a kebab on my way home too and i have still been losing every week. I have lost 22lb since 1st of June 2015. I just work really hard sun-fri to stick to my calorie limit

Get legless!! Is that a British term? :) LOL