NSV: my first official 5k ... And I nailed it

Options
Thanks to MFP, I started a C25k program. I'd never heard of such a thing before MFP and was doubtful i could learn to run. At first, i couldn't jog 100 yards. Remarkably quickly and to my astonishment, within about 6 weeks i was running 3 miles, albeit at a tortoise like pace. I stuck with it and gradually gained speed and distance. However, I had never run in an actual race until this morning, when I did my first 5k. . I could feel that I was running well, but I didn't realize how well (i had forgotten to turn on Runkeeper) until they posted my time -- my average speed (MPH) was more than 10 second lower than my previous best. I guess my blood chemistry was òut of whack, because I actually had tears streaming down my face. This was a bigger thrill than any weight loss milestone that I've hit. On to a 10k.

Replies

• seomra
    seomra Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Well done!
  • RobinSFoster
    RobinSFoster Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!
  • nurselroy
    nurselroy Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! :)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Very cool, indeed :D Running in a race gets you caught up in the adrenalin rush! Way to go!!
  • trexxie1
    trexxie1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I did my very first 5K this morning too! I was at a snail's pace but I did it!
  • debbie_elder
    debbie_elder Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a couch to 5K and just completed week 1. 8 more weeks of training and I am looking forward to this milestone :)
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Trexxie-are you Detrotier? Was it the Cruise in Shoes 5k?
  • trexxie1
    trexxie1 Posts: 7 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Sheldonklein - Congrats to you!!! - i did "Cheeseburger in Caseville " 5K Fun Run up in Caseville, Michigan. Finished 23rd out of 28 for my age class!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Great job! There's no feeling like crossing that finish line with a PR!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!