Peanut Butter?

Options
2»

Replies

• MJKing2
    MJKing2 Posts: 177
    Options
    I too love peanut butter. I was eating the Peter Pan creamy whipped peanut butter and the taste was still good, but lower in calories than regular. I just switched this week to the Bell Plantation PB2 powdered peanut butter and I'm really liking it too. You mix it with water so it's lower in calories and it curves my peanut butter cravings.
  • percussionbeat
    percussionbeat Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I love pb too! Makes for a such a satisfying snack, but yeah, have to source for the natural ones that just have peanuts. Went through this short period of craving pb so bad I was dreaming about it at night :P
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I can be good and bad. Everything in moderation for 1 but most importantly if you want it to be truly good for you then change to an all natural PB which most people hate do it it's texture plus the flax oil sitting on the top!
  • gaeljo
    gaeljo Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I work for an organic peanut butter company: www.onceagainnutbutter.com There are some amazing peanut butters out there to try. We make sugar free ones but we also make one called, American Classic which you don't have to stir before you eat it. Peanut butter is very good for you. It is rich in protein. While it is high in fat, it is also rich in niocin a fat burning vitamin that is naturally occurring in peanuts. There is no reason you can't eat 2 tablespoons a day. I've lost 56 pounds and I eat peanut butter nearly daily. Hard not to around here! LOL. Enjoy it without guilt!
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    A tablespoon or two of PB a day is awesome :) Try the organic kinds, they have less salt & don't have hydroginated oil holding the solids & liquids together. Just be prepared to stir the jar before every use.
  • crystal_loga
    crystal_loga Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    As I type this, I am eating peanut butter... lol I like to add a few teaspoons in my cereal to give it a little extra flavor and get some protein in.

I buy Low Sodium Natural Jif. It's 90% peanuts. Its kinda high in calories, so I don't eat it every day, but it taste very yummy. I cant tell the difference between this and regular Jif other than it has a more roasted peanut taste. My main areas I try to watch are calories and sugars, so this fits well in my plan.

2tbsp
    190 cals (130 from fat)
    16g Fat (3 saturated)
    0mg Cholesterol
    80mg Sodium
    8g Carbs
    2g Fiber
    3g Sugar
    7g Protien

Hope this helps!!
  • cdez80421
    cdez80421 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Try "Better N Peanut Butter" you can get it at most natural grocers and some Target Superstores have started carrying it now, I like the kind with the blue label, it has less sodium. Different texture than normal peanut butter but has half the fat and calories.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I eat PB DAILY! I go through a jar a week :) I do kettle, unsalted. It's 14gf/2tbs, or 1oz. I didn't fancy it at first, but now i don't like any of the salted stuff. I've found I have to watch sat fat, but other than that go for it if it fits in your macros!

Edit- You can make your own too.. Buy some peanuts and put them in a food processor! I just got a pack of honey roasted yesterday, so I'm going to experiment ;)
  • sharonuk10
    sharonuk10 Posts: 277
    Options
    I love me some creamy skippy peanut butter and have it on a slice of bread or some crackers for an after walk snack. It hasn't hindered my weight loss in anyway over the last year.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    Anything Peanut Butter & Co touches is pure gold. Deeeee-lish. I've found that a big spoonful as dessert helps curb cravings later. God I'm drooling at my desk...

AMEN to Peanut Butter & Co.- they make Dark Chocolate Dreams- over a toasted low cal Eng. muffin and it's my substitute for warm gooey choc. chip cookies. LOW in sugar too, believe it or not.

Any of the nut butters are wonderful- I've found sunbutter ( sunflower seed) , almond butters, and cashew butters-
    you can find them in the organic sections or health food stores.
    Or Smucker's natural- it has no sugar- is good too. The oil separates a LOT so you have to stir it but it tastes so much better ( imo)
  • traceyrbb
    traceyrbb Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE peanut butter!!! I've tried the reduced fat and natural peanut butters but they aren't the same to me. and they don't seem to have that much less calories than what's in Jiff. I sometimes eat it daily as long as i stay around my daily calorie goal. i actually use it as my favorite stand by when the family decides they want McDonald's or pizza...I'd rather eat my peanut butter sandwhich!!! If i had to give up peanut butter then i may as well stay heavy :wink: (but you don't have to give it up...it's healthy for you in moderation!!)
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Smucker's has an all natural pb and now Peter Pan has come out with one. I've tried the Smucker's and it's good but it separates from the oils and I am not a fan of cold pb. (it should be refrigerated after opening). On another note for pb, it has become my binge food and unfortunately, I'm going to have to say goodbye to it for a while. :(
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    My diet is pretty much pre contest body building diet and I eat 2-3 tablespoons of PBJ a day!!! I eat Naturall More w/flax seed oil
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is awesome for you. Reduced fat peanut butter... not so awesome.

Here is the ingredient statement on some reduced fat peanut butter. (PEANUTS, CORN SYRUP SOLIDS, SOY PROTEIN, SUGAR, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: MOLASSES, SALT, FULLY HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OILS (RAPESEED, COTTONSEED AND SOYBEAN), FOLIC ACID, NIACINAMIDE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE, ALPHATOCOPHERYL ACETATE, COPPER SULFATE, FERRIC ORTHOPHOSPHATE, MAGNESIUM OXIDE, ZINC OXIDE.)

What you can take from that is they reduced the fat by adding soy protein. And this particular brand of peanut butter contains 190 calories and 12 grams of fat per serving (2 TBSP).

Now, if we switch to this same brand's natural peanut butter, here is what is in it (PEANUTS, SUGAR, PALM OIL, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: SALT, MOLASSES.)

Also, it comes in at 190 calories and 16 grams of fat per serving (2 TBSP). So you might be saving a little on the fat, but you're losing nutrients (which is why they had to add all of that stuff to the other one) and you're not saving any calories -- which is really what you should be counting. Because too many calories = weight gain
  • Bigfootehs
    Options
    I use PB2! its amazing and delicious. 1 serving is only 45 cal. you can but it online
  • Tamelaine
    Tamelaine Posts: 37
    Options
    I LOVE peanut butter. My absolute favorite is Trader Joe's peanut butter with flaxseed. It is so delicious. I recently saw it at Target (not the same brand obviously, but made by the same company).