going back to work

Options
I've been going strong in my weight loss for about 2 months and its been great losing 9 lbs so far. I'm also very fortunate to have summers off but now I have to go back to work and I'm a little worried. I'm sure many of you are familiar with the junk food packed break room, the fresh donuts in the morning, the birthday celebration cake etc... How do I stop myself from going back to my old habits?

Replies

• pointkoala
    pointkoala Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Oh my, I completely understand that! I work basically next to the food department and they are always bringing in food. My excuse though? I'm vegan. Those donuts look lovely but sorry I can't have them, I'm vegan.

ALWAYS pack your own lunch. And always have snacks on hand. Granola bars or crackers or rice cakes (that's one of my favourites). Free donuts? Well, you can enjoy your snack too! Also, pack fruits and veggies.

I have my routine.... in the mornings at work I have a shake. At lunch, I have my own packed lunch (which is usually pretty good.... leftovers or something.... a lot of rice and beans which fills me up). Then in the afternoon, I have my fruit. I cup up two fruits the night before and have them the next afternoon. Gives me a sweet treat every afternoon at work which is awesome! To save time, I often just cut up fruit twice.... on Sundays for Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Then on Wednesday for Thursday and Friday.
    I also sometimes cut up carrots to have just sitting on my desk for a snack.

The only time I can cheat on that is when my department gets birthday cupcakes. Because they know I'm vegan, we buy cupcakes, and they make sure to get me a special vegan cupcake. LOL. But that is like five times per year so I just go with it, log it, and account for it. :)

Also congrats on losing the 9 lbs!!! :D
  • mikestobbs1
    mikestobbs1 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    You take your own meals and politely decline when offered *kitten*. It's easier when everyone knows you don't eat that stuff and they stop asking. LET'S GET SHREDDED.
  • noramachuca
    noramachuca Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Great advice! Thank you so much. I think you're both right, if everyone knows I don't eat that stuff it will be a little easier.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    It's easy to take that donut but you can be strong. Pack your own lunch. Have a mental idea of how long you'll need to walk or run or swim to burn off the calories of that offered donut. It's a great incentive to stop you from saying yes.
    If you do have the donut, adjust your next few days of calories to allot for that donut and/or exercise a bit more over the next couple of days to burn off that donut. Whatever you do, don't beat yourself up over it. It's going to happen that you eat a donut once in awhile. That's okay and it won't impede your progress if you handle it well.
  • smith31214080
    smith31214080 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I work in a school cafeteria and go back next week also I am concerned with sticking to my calories with the taste testing and temptations there everyday but I am planning on taking all my own meals and only eating fresh veggies from our salad bar.
  • suzettedees
    suzettedees Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I go back to work soon too and I'm also worried about it. I've started to plan in my head what I need to do. Pack healthy lunches the night before, pre plan dinners in advance. I make a menu plan for the week on the bottom of my grocery list. Enlist support from others. Talk to your co-workers about your weight loss maybe someone is in the same boat as you. Good luck!