24 hour fasting

Options
Has anybody ever tried this? If so, opinions please?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

For a colonoscopy. Not a whole a lot of fun. :# LOL
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    For what?
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    That is a great way to get your body to hold onto every fat cell you own. In my opinion, by not eating, you put your body into a self preservation mode.
  • caffeinatedcami
    caffeinatedcami Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I admit that I tried it once and I don't recommend it. I lost a tiny bit of water weight that I promptly regained when I started eating again. And I felt physically ill. I wanted to sleep all day. I understand the temptation but it's just not worth it. Plus it should be noted that so-called cleanses do not "detoxify" your body (your kidneys and liver do that on their own) and long-term they can actually slow your metabolism and cause other health problems.
  • kk_inprogress
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    That is a great way to get your body to hold onto every fat cell you own. In my opinion, by not eating, you put your body into a self preservation mode.

This is untrue. The body doesn't hold onto fat when you don't eat.
  • Annr
    Options
    @kkenseth ok then, if it doesn't hold onto fat, what does your body function on, when you deny it of nutrients?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

*shudder* I have that coming up sometime (thanks, Dad!), awaiting a mystery call from Health Canada.

I've never done a 24 fast and wouldn't except as a medical necessity.
  • kk_inprogress
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @kkenseth ok then, if it doesn't hold onto fat, what does your body function on, when you deny it of nutrients?

It burns through what glycogen stores you have, then starts burning through fat stores. It's not going to do that in 24 hours, but "starvation mode" as you're describing it is a myth.

Edited for content: I replied too quickly and wrote incorrectly.
  • Annr
    Options
    @zyxst No they arent fun...but its the living in the bathroom the night before that isn't fun. The procedure was a piece of cake, I was knocked out. I would suggest keeping some sort of "barrier cream" nearby the night before as you are "cleaning out your system".
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »

It burns through what glucose stores you have, then it starts in on your muscle. It's not going to do that in 24 hours, but "starvation mode" as you're describing it is a myth.
    I fast 4 days per week for 16 hours in an effort to maintain weight and lose body fat.
    It's been a slow process, but I maintained 180lbs and dropped body fat from 23% down to 15%.
    This was over 2.5 years, so it's not some miracle pill.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

No, that's completely wrong. The human body evolved specifically to run well in fasted conditions. A 24 hour fast is nothing - you need to go past 72 hours for the first hints of Bad Things.
  • kk_inprogress
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »

It burns through what glucose stores you have, then it starts in on your muscle. It's not going to do that in 24 hours, but "starvation mode" as you're describing it is a myth.
    I fast 4 days per week for 16 hours in an effort to maintain weight and lose body fat.
    It's been a slow process, but I maintained 180lbs and dropped body fat from 23% down to 15%.
    This was over 2.5 years, so it's not some miracle pill.

That's AWESOME. I don't think OP is as experienced as you are in body recomp though. I could be wrong.
  • Annr
    Options
    thanks for the clarification @kkenseth :-)
    @Pinnacle_IAO congrats on your journey thus far!
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options

I feel you on that one. I live off nothing but sugar free jello and diet coke when I'm testing my basal insulin rates. It requires a minimum of eleven hours of fasting (five hours to clear any mealtime insulin plus six+ hours for the basal test), and it's difficult not to kill anyone during that time.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    abatonfan wrote: »

I feel you on that one. I live off nothing but sugar free jello and diet coke when I'm testing my basal insulin rates. It requires a minimum of eleven hours of fasting (five hours to clear any mealtime insulin plus six+ hours for the basal test), and it's difficult not to kill anyone during that time.

How often do you have do that? Because fasting really sucks!!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Just for religious reasons. I don't even totally fast any longer. I'd get woozy. The deal with most of the religions in the US is that being hungry is okay, hurting yourself isn't. If it's going to hurt you or make you sick in any way, you don't fast. So, I kinda fast now.

Fasting to lose weight is not the healthiest or most sensible way to go about it.
  • fyoung1111
    fyoung1111 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I do a 24 hour fast two or three times per month—usually after a day or two or three of 3,000 calorie days. It is really not so difficult. I think I would find it more difficult to try to get by on 1000 calories than none at all.

Kkenseth is right. Starvation mode takes two to three days to kick in and only results in a 20-30% drop in your metabolic rate. The vast majority of us have plenty of fat stores to feed the machine during a one day fast. Those that don't, aren't fasting.
  • Prayerwarrior7
    Prayerwarrior7 Posts: 27 Member
    Options

Did it for spiritual purposes - not just for weight loss ;) Longest I've been without food and water is 3 days - for spiritual purposes. Was weak, couldn't pray much and kept on thinking about food :)

• Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

THE STEEL STALLION!
    :o