5k in 30mins PR

Options
what is the normal time realistically for 5k to a good runner. Did my first 10k yesterday in an hour 14mins too

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    "normal"? "good"?
  • dc1arkson
    dc1arkson Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    "normal"? "good"?

Yes normal as in I don't know what is a normal good time for a regular runner so I have something to aim for, sorry didn't think I explained it bad lol
  • MCinBC
    MCinBC Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you are from...are you talking about 5 kilometers or miles?

I am 50 and run my 5km in about 23-24 minutes and my 10km in about 45 minutes which is about 4m30s per km. But those times are on a track. When I go for longer runs and in park/trails/streets, my pace is a bit slower. In my early 40's I was at about 41-42 minutes for a 10k.

If you are starting to run, your pace will increase as you go. You should hit the 10k-1 hour pace pretty fast. Just make sure you go step by step as injuries can happen easily if you are not careful and patient. Have fun!
  • Slainte831
    Slainte831 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Right now, I would be thrilled to run a 5k in under 40 minutes. My long term goal would be 10-min miles.

But this is just for me. Everyone is so different. I think you should run your first 5k, and then in your next race try to better your time as measured against yourself. In my experience, there is no 'normal', lol!
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I agree with Slainte831, everyone is different. Plus, "good" is subjective. Last year, I decided I wanted to try to improve my 5K time. Previously, I'd run in 33-34 minutes. So, I trained hard and then on race day, ran 100% of my ability. I was able to run in about 26:30. That became my benchmark. I decided to pick a personal goal of beating 25 minutes. It took me three tries, but last July, I ran a 23:31 5K. I actually just ran another today in 24:15 and placed 1st for my age group. It is entirely possible to improve your 5K time!

Some tips...

1. Run. Consistently. I run about 4-5 days per week, plus cross-train. I do a long run of anywhere from 6-10 miles once every week or every other week.
    2. Reserve your speed. You do not need/want to go out on all your training runs blazing fast. I promise, just put in the work of running at an easy/conversational pace. You can build in some speedwork or even better, hills, after you've been consistently running for awhile.
    3. Race more than once. I've found what has helped me become a better runner/racer is by simply racing more frequently. You learn how to pace yourself, push when needed, and compete. It's also nice knowing you've got lots of chances to reach your goal vs all your eggs in one race basket, so to speak.

Finally, BELIEVE you can run faster. I really had to change my mindset on this one last year! I made some mantras for myself like "I'm training to win" and "I'm strong." While this might sound corny, I really feel it made a difference. Goodness knows I've wasted so many years telling myself things like "I'm just here to finish" and "I'm slow."

Wow, I know that's a novel. I hope that helps. Bottom line, set a benchmark by running a race as hard as you can. Then, start making a reasonable next goal. Once you've met that one, make another. Good luck.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    If you really want to work out where you stand in terms of 'good' or 'normal', then I would recommend using an Age Graded calculator. it compares your time to someone of the same age and gender as you. This page has a calculator and tells you everything you need to know: runnersworld.com/tools/age-graded-calculator

However, don't get too bogged down in comparing yourself to others. Just enjoy beating your own PRs, that's the best bit about running! Even if you aren't as fast as you want to be right now, just focus on getting there :)
  • dc1arkson
    Options
    I agree with Slainte831, everyone is different. Plus, "good" is subjective. Last year, I decided I wanted to try to improve my 5K time. Previously, I'd run in 33-34 minutes. So, I trained hard and then on race day, ran 100% of my ability. I was able to run in about 26:30. That became my benchmark. I decided to pick a personal goal of beating 25 minutes. It took me three tries, but last July, I ran a 23:31 5K. I actually just ran another today in 24:15 and placed 1st for my age group. It is entirely possible to improve your 5K time!

Some tips...

1. Run. Consistently. I run about 4-5 days per week, plus cross-train. I do a long run of anywhere from 6-10 miles once every week or every other week.
    2. Reserve your speed. You do not need/want to go out on all your training runs blazing fast. I promise, just put in the work of running at an easy/conversational pace. You can build in some speedwork or even better, hills, after you've been consistently running for awhile.
    3. Race more than once. I've found what has helped me become a better runner/racer is by simply racing more frequently. You learn how to pace yourself, push when needed, and compete. It's also nice knowing you've got lots of chances to reach your goal vs all your eggs in one race basket, so to speak.

Finally, BELIEVE you can run faster. I really had to change my mindset on this one last year! I made some mantras for myself like "I'm training to win" and "I'm strong." While this might sound corny, I really feel it made a difference. Goodness knows I've wasted so many years telling myself things like "I'm just here to finish" and "I'm slow."

Wow, I know that's a novel. I hope that helps. Bottom line, set a benchmark by running a race as hard as you can. Then, start making a reasonable next goal. Once you've met that one, make another. Good luck.
    Thank you so much for the tips!
  • dc1arkson
    Options
    If you really want to work out where you stand in terms of 'good' or 'normal', then I would recommend using an Age Graded calculator. it compares your time to someone of the same age and gender as you. This page has a calculator and tells you everything you need to know: runnersworld.com/tools/age-graded-calculator

However, don't get too bogged down in comparing yourself to others. Just enjoy beating your own PRs, that's the best bit about running! Even if you aren't as fast as you want to be right now, just focus on getting there :)

I will check this out thank you!
  • dc1arkson
    Options
    Running is a novelty to me still as last year I couldn't even walk around the supermarket without a trolley cause of been over weight so I am basically learning just how to even become a runner. I would love to get to a time where I could realistically go in for a race
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    dc1arkson wrote: »
    Running is a novelty to me still as last year I couldn't even walk around the supermarket without a trolley cause of been over weight so I am basically learning just how to even become a runner. I would love to get to a time where I could realistically go in for a race

It sounds like you want to, and I swear that's really the first, biggest step!! Be patient with yourself and set reasonable goals. I like setting short-term goals (ones I could reach within a few months, say) as well as long-term goals (that may take some real work and maybe 2-3 years to get there). Good luck - you can do it!!

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Based on current basic army fitness standards, you'd need to be under 24 minutes to be "acceptably" fit. At the other end, under 19 minutes would put you at "superb" fitness.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Like you, a year ago I could go 5 k in about...oh I don't know...never! Today my best time has been around 33 minutes (on a treadmill) and just under 34 (in a race). I train a 10 K once a week or so at about 65 minutes. I'm *not* fast. I'm 44, and have short legs and a wide hip span. I'm still about 20 lbs overweight. I am not built for speed! But I feel like my progress has been good. I feel fit and healthy and I set small challenges for myself every week. The only person I'm competing with day-to-day is myself. In a race, it's the person in front of me.

My personal goal is to be able to run a 30 min 5k in a race, but I signed up for my first race when I could reasonably compete in the middle of the pack (so 36 minutes for my daily 5K without working on speed).
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Don't focus on your time. Focus on finishing. Once you can finish, focus on being just a little faster the next time. And the time after that.

In every 5k there are a handful of people looking to really race (those that can finish in under 17 minutes). The rest of us (the majority) are there to raise money for a good cause, have fun, and challenge ourselves. No one cares how slow you are. Even the winners generally stick around to encourage the everyone else.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I ran my first official 5k yesterday in the s same time as you. Initially I was giddy because it was 30 sec faster than my previous best. Then I allowed myself to worry about how I compared to others. As it happens, I was squarely in the middle of my peer group (55 - 59 M), so I felt OK. But objectively it would be foolish to feel better or worse based on how others ran.

BTW, this was a pretty big group, 1500+, and the results are posted online, so if you want an empirical db to compare yourself to, go to cruiseinshoes.com, click on Race Results and find your peer group.
  • rumijs
    rumijs Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    dc1arkson wrote: »
    what is the normal time realistically for 5k to a good runner. Did my first 10k yesterday in an hour 14mins too
    In running, there is no such thing as normal or good. It's all personal bests. You'll hear people speak of sub 30s and 20s for a 5k. I say those are more ultimate goals to reach rather than average run times. They're more of a popular goal than universal averages.
  • Kadi82
    Kadi82 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's a normal time as everyone is different. Running for me is beating myself rather than others. But in saying that before my injury I did a pb of 28.29 for 5km but on an average run for training I'd do it in around 32mins.
  • joolieb1
    joolieb1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I think doing 5K in 30 mins would be a fantastic goal but anything up to 45 mins we be great and you did 10 k in a respectable time. It we depend on the reason u r running. I am 51 and building my fitness from scratch, right now if I ran 5k I would b very pleased no matter what the time. It would also depend on the type of running, treadmill, grass, trails - you are doing well
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Have a look here:

Average Race Times

• dc1arkson
    Options
    It seems my comment of normal and good has got a few people's backs up but by no means is it supposed to, I do not see myself as a runner so when I say this I am asking for advice only. If you really find my words not correct please don't be offended or see them as anything other then that. I ran 5k in 30mins and yes my first ever 10k in 1hr 14mins, I didn't push myself speed wise on the 10k as I wanted to just finish and reach that goal.
    A faster 5k will now be my aim thank you to everyone with advice