Three kids, a full time job and no time! Tips?

i know I'm not the first person to say I have no time to exercise - but I really don't. I'm wondering what interesting, creative ways others have come up with to exercise in the in-between times? I keep reading about two hour walks and trips to the gym - I'm lucky to get a ten minute jog around my neighborhood :) anyone have any secrets to share?

Replies

• JLCrunch
    JLCrunch Posts: 46 Member
    I have a 3 year old and a soon to be 2 year old and my own full time job. Anytime I exercised after work I felt like I was missing out on family time (dinners, playing). I'd get home and it was time for bed. I joined a 24 hour gym close to my job and started going around 5am. It's been a week. So far, so good. It may be worth a try?
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Fitness Blender has an online site with hundreds of fitness videos, you can put in the maximum time with the type of workout you want and the area of the body you're working and boom. Lots of choices. Are your kids older or younger. You can also find workout videos on Youtube.

Older kids can be in charge of making dinner once in a while (we do have grilled sandwich night and my nine year old makes his sibs french toast.) Younger kids are pefectly willing to join in, although you have to be careful to not step on the. ;)

For day to day, I park at the far end of the parking lot, have been known to take an extra lap around Costco before actually shopping. Whatever I can do. ;)

My twins and my middle son are 19 months apart. So even though I'm not working, when they were bitty, it was survival mode only, I TOTALLY get not having time.
  • kri5tin81
    kri5tin81 Posts: 1 Member
    I'm in the same boat, plus my job is a desk one. I walk on my breaks and lunch and go on bike rides with my kids at night but still...I'm struggling. This whole body changing in your 30s thing kinda crept up on me.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    I have 3 kids and I work full time too. When the youngest was still very young, my basic exercise was long walks with the kids and also running on the treadmill - best investment I ever made regarding exercise. A stationary bike or exercise dvds would have probably also worked, but it was running I always loved and the treadmill allowed me to squeeze in at least some 30 minute runs per week, when all kids where napping or watching tv or in the unlikely scenario where all 3 where happily playing.
    With the kids no longer being babies, I started going to the gym a couple of times per week in the late evening letting my husband put the kids in bed, plus weekends. This last year I managed to have all kids in afterschool activities at the same time a few days, so I use this time to go to the pool.
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Family night can be at the Y for swimming
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Stationary bike.
  • katalinax87
    katalinax87 Posts: 146 Member
    You tube is your friend here. Fitness blender is really good too
  • suzettedees
    suzettedees Posts: 85 Member
    I have 3 kids and a full time job too. When my kids were younger I would take their bikes to the track and walk while they biked. Kids usually like to be involved in exercise. Play soccer or frisbee with them. A yoga tape. I also try to walk on my breaks at work.
  • dinsfamily
    dinsfamily Posts: 84 Member
    I have 4 boys and homeschool them so I can't get to the gym or workout anytime during work hours. We also have sports or some other activity most evenings so that's out too. I have to workout at 5:30am while everyone is sleeping and hubby is home. That means waking at 4:45. I'm a night owl so it isn't my favorite thing, but I don't have any other options.

Over the last few years, I've grown to like (maybe too strong...tolerate) it and really enjoy the other early birds at the gym.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    aggelikik wrote: »
    I have 3 kids and I work full time too. When the youngest was still very young, my basic exercise was long walks with the kids and also running on the treadmill - best investment I ever made regarding exercise. A stationary bike or exercise dvds would have probably also worked, but it was running I always loved and the treadmill allowed me to squeeze in at least some 30 minute runs per week, when all kids where napping or watching tv or in the unlikely scenario where all 3 where happily playing.
    With the kids no longer being babies, I started going to the gym a couple of times per week in the late evening letting my husband put the kids in bed, plus weekends. This last year I managed to have all kids in afterschool activities at the same time a few days, so I use this time to go to the pool.

I second the treadmill being a good investment. You can get up early and get in a workout before the kids get up, you can do it while they nap, or after they go to bed... I have mine in the kid's playroom which has a TV, when my kids were toddlers I'd turn on PBS and they would watch a 30 minute cartoon while I worked out. Now that they are a bit older it's no big deal to get in a workout while they play or watch cartoons.

• whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    I have 3 kids and work full time as well. The activities I fit in are:
    Gym at night after the kids go to bed
    Walk or bike ride with the kids in the evening
    Gym over my lunch break when my work schedule fits
    Treadmill for the days I can't get a walk or run in outside
    Bench and Plates in the garage for when I can't get to the gym

Basically I make time to fit a workout in 5-6 times a week. It might mean me being up past midnight to get it in, but if I want to squeeze it in, I do what I have to do
  • jdleanna
    jdleanna Posts: 141 Member
    I have 4 kids, and one is incredibly disabled. I wake up very early and work out to online videos. (5 am now...I used to do it earlier but lost the will to live getting up at 4:30!) Fitness Blender is decent. I like Daily Burn if you don't mind spending $13 a month to subscribe.
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    family gym membership, I have 3 kids and work part time. youtube is great for free workouts also :)
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    weightlifting at the gym on the weekends + daily 20-30 minute home workouts as intense as you can make them (DVDs, circuits w dumbbells, a cardio machine) OR including walking or cycling or skating or whatever into family time + watching diet
  • gardnercranston
    gardnercranston Posts: 12 Member
    I have three kids age 1-6 and work full time. The only time I can fit workouts in during the week is getting is 5am gym time. The first few mornings suck, but you actually start getting used to it. It's a great feeling coming home after work and your workout is already done.
  • carolyn481mfp
    carolyn481mfp Posts: 2 Member
    When my kids were younger, I worked out at a nearby Y, kids went to the onsite daycare. Workouts were limited to 45 min-one hour. That was all they could handle in the childcare area. The Y was also our date nite. Now that they are older, I take my daughter with me to the gym and we play squash together. No points or rules, just slam the ball around. I have taken an early Sunday morning walk or bike ride for 8 years with a good friend who lives nearby. Gradually, you will get some free time back. Working full time is hard. Go after work or before work. It will take coordination with a spouse or other care giver, like hiring a babysitter. Did that too. Have to schedule your "me" time first. You will be a better mom, wife, partner, employee, etc. It is not selfish. Nobody else will put your needs before theirs.
  • traceyc83
    traceyc83 Posts: 72 Member
    I have 2 kids and I sometimes work as much a 60 hours a week. I get up at 5am and work out before work. I have an
    elliptical and some weights and a balance ball at home. It gives me a lot more energy to get through the day too. I've done it so much that my body programmed itself to get up at 5 all the time.... Even when I don't want to, I still do because I know I can't go back to sleep. I've tried going to the gym mid day and putting my kids in the childcare but I find this works much better.
  • ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    take 20 min each night or several times a week and do a home workout with your kids running around you;) invest in some dumbbells, bands, a step and your own body to use videos on youtube or dvds from the library Bodyrock, fitness blender, Bret contreras has tons of videos of specific exercises to make your own circuits and work hard from one exercise to the next and be done in 20min. You can find all workout equipment on craigslist for cheap and varagesale or Facebook swap pages. Your kids may want to join in too:)
  • _ankylosaurus_
    _ankylosaurus_ Posts: 28 Member
    I have 4 kids (ages 13, 12, 5 and 2) and I'm a very busy trial lawyer. I've been doing the Body By You workouts at home in the early, early morning. I can get in a good 30 minute workout and shower before the rest of the family is up. I also walk with a friend on days that I take a lunch. I love my Fitbit and try to get extra steps in every day by taking the stairs, etc. It's not ideal but every little bit helps.
  • Khorner84
    Khorner84 Posts: 55 Member
    edited August 2015
    I work out at night from home after my kids go to bed. That's the only time I have to do it. I have three kids 4 and under and I work. My oldest is autistic. If you want it bad enough you will make time. You own progress is your biggest motivation. Take progress pics.....every 2-3 weeks. Good luck and light a fire under that *kitten*!