Anyone every had a recipe go wrong?

Options
fancyqltrmom
fancyqltrmom Posts: 19 Member
I have never liked salmon but I know it is healthy so I tried a new recipe. It smelled delicious baking in the oven ... but oh my it tasted awful! My dog wouldn't even eat it... shudder.. I did manage to swallow it though and was definitely NOT hungry till dinner.. that gross salmon is still repeating on me!!Linda

Replies

• fancyqltrmom
    Options
    This was wild caught from Alaska..I bet your cat would have loved it!! Thanks for the heads up..I still have a piece in the freezer.. I will return it tomorrow. I bought it in Publix, I live in Florida..Linda
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Did you overcook it? If it's seasoned and cooked appropriately it usually doesn't taste that bad! Can you salvage it to make salmon cakes?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My vote is cooked too long. Fish is cooked delicately just until it flakes easily.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I have messed up tofu pretty bad. Got the wrong density and then cooked the life out of it. I was lucky hubby gave it another chance.

I've found a tofu recipe pretty foolproof. I use extra firm, press it, cube it, marinate it, then bake it. Crispy on the outside, creamy on the inside.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'd say you overcook it too...

But to answer your question, yeah, all the time, lol!
  • fancyqltrmom
    Options
    It was my first time cooking it so maybe I did cook it too long. Thank you all for the feedback. I still won't ever eat it again though. What finally got the taste out of my mouth was peanut butter... LOL.. Yes I counted the calories.. Linda
  • Bolibadale
    Bolibadale Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If it had a Bad Taste then it is just bad overcooking will dry it out but not alter the taste. Did you use any spice or seasoning? Maybe try buying another piece and cook it skin side down with Mustard on the top side. If you like Mustard???
  • fancyqltrmom
    Options
    I marinated it in lemon juice, olive oil , garlic, basil and parsley.. the I baked it just till it flaked.. It was juicy but gross... LOL. Mustard might have worked as it would definitely had hid the flavor.. What I did to get it down was smother it in mild salsa..
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I find some way to screw up every new recipe I try! So don't feel badly, it happens !
  • Queenmunchy
    Options
    This is the BEST salmon recipe. You don't need to grill it, but the marinade is fantastic. You can broil it instead for about 4-5 mins on each side, depending on thickness.
    wvlohci38x7d.jpg
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    The Title of this thread is:
    Anyone every had a recipe go wrong?

I don't exactly follow recipes but still, you set out with a plan in your head. Sometimes you want to repeat it exactly as is. Sometimes you're anxious to make "adjustments." Sometimes ... never again!!

That's what cooking is. Some make the menu, some don't.

I never blew it this bad, though, My Mom was making spaghetti for several dozen people, a much larger batch than she was used to. Instead of adding half a teaspoon of cayenne, she added half a cup.
  • Queenmunchy
    Options
    OldHobo wrote: »
    I never blew it this bad, though, My Mom was making spaghetti for several dozen people, a much larger batch than she was used to. Instead of adding half a teaspoon of cayenne, she added half a cup.

Lol! That's an entire canister the way I buy it!
  • fancyqltrmom
    Options
    Oh my goodness!!! That must have been really hot OldHobo!! did the people eat it? Linda
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I've had plenty of recipes go wrong...am a baker, lol. I'll toss out whole recipes if they don't live up to my standards.

As for your salmon, I would try brining it. Should remove the "fishy" taste. bbq or smoke it or bake it...if its still "bad" then you may have a bad piece of fish. Also, if you bought the fish "fresh" it has been previously frozen...and refreezing it will make a fish go nasty in a nanosecond.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    recipe gone wrong?!? Wheat berry chili- - -I think it was used to hang wallpaper when I was done. Salmon, pan sear in butter or EVOO, when it flakes it is ready. Had some today with shallots. . . .yum.
  • fancyqltrmom
    Options
    this was fresh..not frozen ... they say.. I think it was old and I am going to return the rest tomorrow. Thank you for the shoulder to cry on.. HUGS Linda
  • OldHobo
    Options

She was a pistol.
    • Flapper and semi-pro basketball player in the 20's.
    • War wife working for the railroads in the 40's.
    • Policewoman in the 50's
    Never learned to cook though.

• fancyqltrmom
    Options

She was a pistol.

Did the guests eat it or did she catch the goof before it was tasted??
  • OldHobo
    Options

She was a pistol.

Did the guests eat it or did she catch the goof before it was tasted??
    First of all, nobody ate more than a bite. It was served around a swimming pool. There was a lot of awkward looking around to gauge other reactions.

Then somebody collected plates and somebody else brought watermelon.