Question about my stomach

Options
It's fat but it's firm if that makes sense?
It sticks out really far but it's firm. How can I make it soft so it goes flatter? I'm pretty sure there's muscle or something that pushes my belly out.
Does anybody know what might be happening? :-)

Replies

• chubbyandawkward
    Options
    bump?
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I have that problem, Mine is finally starting to diminish
    The less salt I have the better the results (huge salt fan here)
    Milk as well has that effect on me.
  • jefferyowens
    Options
    There are two main types of fat in the body. Subcutaneous and visceral.

Subcutaneous fat resides directly under the skin and on top of muscle tissue. It is the typical flabby looking fat that jiggles.

Visceral fat resides in your abdominal cavity under your muscles. It is visceral fat that makes your midsection bulge but feel firm. It is also the most dangerous type from a health standpoint. Fortunately, at least in my experience, it is the easiest to lose.
  • bluemax87
    bluemax87 Posts: 71
    Options
    Sugary foods need to GO. Sugars are processed into lipids by the body which attach themselves to fat cells. Lipids are near impossible to break down for energy, making it harder to break down fat cells during exercise.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Sugary foods need to GO. Sugars are processed into lipids by the body which attach themselves to fat cells. Lipids are near impossible to break down for energy, making it harder to break down fat cells during exercise.

I am totally lost. I was taught in all my biology classes that lipids ARE fats. They are not synonyms?
  • bluemax87
    bluemax87 Posts: 71
    Options
    I know lipids are fats, but the way it was explained to me was that lipid cells are apparantly harder to break down than the regular fat cells your body creates. Your body has a way of storing energy in fat cells for use later. However, the sugary-stored fat cells are harder to break down for some reason. I don't honestly know the science behind it, or the exact terms. I do know that I've cut my sugar intake down quite a bit and I've been able to drop from 230 to 220 on diet alone before getting on this site...
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Well- the science isn't too important. the point is that fat is hard to break down and sugar can eventually be stored as fat and yes you will lose more weight if you don't eat a boat ton of sugar. So bluemax has a point there.

Otherwise, yeah, just keep at losing weight and it will eventually get smaller.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Too many carbs, doin too much ab work, doin improper ab work, eating the wrong foods (such as enriched foods), not doin enough cardio, not drinkin enough water.

Just a few ideas off the top of my head.