No more fast food!

Options

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    Dandelie wrote: »
    How quickly did you notice changes in your health and life?

I am about 60 days into my journey. Within the first three weeks, I didn't eat out. One night, we were rushed out the door after something happened. I didn't eat anything and didn't plan. We stopped at McD's. The first part of the meal I didn't notice because I was so hungry. The second was DISGUSTING! It made me want to throw up. I put it down and wouldn't eat any more. I haven't been back since. It's pretty soon after you cut things out that you will notice how your body is changing and your tastes move away. It is pretty easy to go past a fast food restaurant after tasting that nasty food.

I don't get this need to demonise fast food like macdonalds and call it disgusting and nasty.

If you don't like it don't eat it.

But there is no reason people can't eat it and lose/ maintain weight and be healthy.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options

I am about 60 days into my journey. Within the first three weeks, I didn't eat out. One night, we were rushed out the door after something happened. I didn't eat anything and didn't plan. We stopped at McD's. The first part of the meal I didn't notice because I was so hungry. The second was DISGUSTING! It made me want to throw up. I put it down and wouldn't eat any more. I haven't been back since. It's pretty soon after you cut things out that you will notice how your body is changing and your tastes move away. It is pretty easy to go past a fast food restaurant after tasting that nasty food.

I don't get this need to demonise fast food like macdonalds and call it disgusting and nasty.

But there is no reason people can't eat it and lose/ maintain weight and be healthy.

@paperpudding I agree with your general point on demonizing fast food but once one gets off it then tries it later it can really taste like crap. It did taste good when we last ate it but we just lose our taste for junk food after eating better for a while.

While the Huddle House can serve some very high carb meals I get them to leave off the carbs and just have coffee, 5 fried eggs and 6 strips of fried bacon. That will permit me to hit my medium protein macro.

The CookOut and other fast food places locally offer low carb meals now but staying < 50 grams of carbs daily I have to watch for "hidden" carbs.

• paperpudding
    Options
    Yes, tastes change over time, I accept that. ( although 60 days isn't really much time)

But that doesn't make the food no longer eaten 'disgusting' or 'nasty' or 'making me want to throw up'
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I was constantly going to places like mcdonalds, subway and greggs. For the past 2 weeks ive made sure I havent gone any of them places, I havent ate chocolate either, ive had a couple of days where ive walked past and been tempted but im glad ive stopped myself. Ive lost 4lb so far and the weight wasnt shifting until I stopped going to them places.

2 weeks isn't really long enough to draw any conclusions.

For myself, who has reached her goal weight and then kept it off for nearly 2 years - yes I eat fast food once or twice per week and yes I eat chocolate even more often than that.
    Quite possible to do so and to still lose / maintain weight - of course, only if you do so within your calorie allowance.

Awesome! And yay for your other posts too.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yes, tastes change over time, I accept that. ( although 60 days isn't really much time)

But that doesn't make the food no longer eaten 'disgusting' or 'nasty' or 'making me want to throw up'

Agreed.

Although I had a filet o fish a couple weeks ago and it was just as good as I remembered... just not one bit filling for the calories, which is why I avoid fast food.

Although I think if I tried soda again I would find it way too sweet.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    We were never really big fast food eaters - we occasionaly hit Chick-fil-a and once in awhile Subway. Our issue was eating out dinners about 2x a week. We cut it down to about 2x a month now not because of the calories, but how expensive it has gotten!

Think of how much money you'll save by not going out so often! That's a huge motivator for me! :)
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I was a chubby kid and we had no fast food with the exception of the occasional birthday party. I tried Taco Bell for the first time when I was pregnant at 25 years old! Anyway, I think there are ways to eat out at all restaurants while fitting it into your calorie budget, but it's much easier to make and eat things that are home-cooked because you're not guessing how much butter, oil, etc are in the dishes.
  • Gozergirl
    Gozergirl Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I used to eat at fast food 4 times a week. In one month, I have changed that to 1 time a week, and even then it is a better option. I save money by bringing my lunch to work, and I feel better!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

I agree with this sentiment. It's just... what should the person say if the food made them nauseous?
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options

I think the sodium is about the only memory I have of fast food after a long break; IDK, it's fuel in an emergency.

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    As for me, I probably eat fast food more often than I should. Mostly because I get lazy and bored of my cooking. For sure, preparing the food at home is the best way for me to control the content and calories. And not always because the calories do not match what the restaurant said, or because they haven't published that info, but because I usually wind up getting way too much stuff and eating much more than I would have at home. I definitely have much more consistent and desirable results when I make breakfast/lunch at home!
  • worstcaster
    worstcaster Posts: 217 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'm on the road a lot for my job. I try to preplan meals but still eat out often. The Asian chicken salad from Mcdonald's is not too bad calorie wise and tastes pretty good with the low calorie sesame ginger dressing.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    See if you can say no to restaurants and fast food for 1 full month.
    Put sticky notes all over your house. Even in your car.
    Tell everyone you know about your goal and ask for support.
    Call a friend when you feel tempted.
    Fast food/ restaurants do not care about your health.
    They just care about digging in your wallet.

Do slow food restaurants care about your health? Would you prefer to eat at restaurants that only offer what you don't want to eat?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

Uhm, I think this is exactly what the previous poster was saying. That the food tastes bad and she will not eat it again? It is not demonising to say that you find the taste of something disgusting.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

I agree with this sentiment. It's just... what should the person say if the food made them nauseous?

Yes I guess you should say you feel nauseous eating it
    ( although I find it a bit strange that a food previously enjoyed has gone to the 'making you feel like throwing up' point in just 2 months)

I guess it was the whole ' the food is disgusting and nasty' idea added to the nearly making her throw up that seemed demonising the food, rather than just saying the food wasn't appealing to her any more.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Yes I guess you should say you feel nauseous eating it
    ( although I find it a bit strange that a food previously enjoyed has gone to the 'making you feel like throwing up' point in just 2 months)

I guess it was the whole ' the food is disgusting and nasty' idea added to the nearly making her throw up that seemed demonising the food, rather than just saying the food wasn't appealing to her any more.

I have never enjoyed this type of fast food. I have never managed to eat at McDonald's or Burger King. The smell of whatever fat they use to fry things into makes me want to throw up, it smells like trash to me, literally. It is not a matter of the food not being tasty, it is a matter of head scratching and wondering how people eat it, same as I would feel e.g. about someone telling me cat food looks delicious. It is not about the calories or the quality or whatever, I will drink soda for example and not pretend it is a nutritious or healthy choice. Of course since I have not been used to eating this type of fast food ever, perhaps I could get to accept that it actually is edible if I were forced to eat it regulalry for whatever reason. But perhaps the opposite is also possible, that once you get a break then you also start to notice whatever it is that makes me gagging at the smell?
  • paperpudding
    Options
    Perhaps.

Or perhaps some new converts to healthy eating get a bit over zealous about demonising things that don't fit into their healthy eating criteria.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »

I think the sodium is about the only memory I have of fast food after a long break; IDK, it's fuel in an emergency.

Oh man. Yeah. My last filet of fish didn't do that but I went to Pizza Hut and Smashburger last year and can say NEVER AGAIN. All I could feel was the salt in my body for two days. Awful. Although Smashburger was good at least... Pizza hut was just not.
  • krisfrantzen
    krisfrantzen Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Very rare now before was 4-5 times a week. Once and a while I get a wendys spicy chicken wrap can't get over those but still within my limits.

Feel so much better. The salt was killing me especially with high blood pressure.

Still when they come out with new things on TV commercials it calls to me but it fades and i tend to just get past it.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

@paperpudding I agree with your general point on demonizing fast food but once one gets off it then tries it later it can really taste like crap. It did taste good when we last ate it but we just lose our taste for junk food after eating better for a while.

While the Huddle House can serve some very high carb meals I get them to leave off the carbs and just have coffee, 5 fried eggs and 6 strips of fried bacon. That will permit me to hit my medium protein macro.

The CookOut and other fast food places locally offer low carb meals now but staying < 50 grams of carbs daily I have to watch for "hidden" carbs.

Shouldn't it taste like crap the first time you have it too, then? I don't think the business model would work if it was that way.