Foot pain?

Options
Hey y'all!

I'm just about ready to chop off my damn feet...

Long story short, my feet like to randomly start hurting if I go walking for a while (hasn't happened lately *crosses fingers*)- but moreso if I run or use the elliptical. I made a point of purchasing decent quality running shoes, but my feet still hurt. I've had several false starts because I'll try to establish a regimen, only to be set back by soreness and, one time, an injured knee (ended up using elliptical with improper movements to take pressure off the sides of my feet).

I don't think my shoes are the problem... so what might this be? Has anyone else had this problem - and if so, what did you find helpful?

Replies

• abble_pie
    abble_pie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Go to a specialty store and get fitted for insoles
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    1) did you get fitted for them? different shoes for different feet
    2) consider insoles
    3) roll your feet, think like a tennis ball or frozen water bottle
    4) it could be plantar fasciitis, see your dr if the pain is that bad
    5) rest. consider doing something active that doesn't involve your feet. water related maybe, or spinning for example
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Where exactly do you get pain? When exactly do you get pain?
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    2) consider insoles
    5) rest. consider doing something active that doesn't involve your feet. water related maybe, or spinning for example

1) I did not... I know this is laughable, but I had assumed that the results I had obtained from an in-store kiosk showing pressure and whatnot were legit? From what I saw, nothing was too out of the ordinary, although I don't recall exactly what it said :(

2) Good point! I've considered them, but a part of me worries that getting the wrong kind might exacerbate the problem. I'm probably just being a worrywart, though.

3) I'm... weird about feet stuff. My toes tend to have this weird tendency cramp, I guess? Like, outta the blue if I put pressure on my foot a certain way, it feels like my toes are twisting. It's been a thing since I was a kid... but I'm always very paranoid about messing with my feet and toes too much as a result.

4) It's not unbearable, but it does slow one down. It's not normal.

5) I like to swim and use the cycle... but my feet would still hurt using the cycle, and swimming tends to result in the weird toe-twisty feeling if I'm not super careful... :neutral:

• Wicked_Seraph
    Options

I get it almost around the sides/near bottom of my feet and occasionally towards the front. I haven't had this kind of pain in a while, so it's difficult to describe it exactly. This would happen after a few minutes of physical activity - so it wasn't by any means due to having exercised too long or something.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options

I get it almost around the sides/near bottom of my feet and occasionally towards the front. I haven't had this kind of pain in a while, so it's difficult to describe it exactly. This would happen after a few minutes of physical activity - so it wasn't by any means due to having exercised too long or something.

That's a tough one. Maybe a poor fit? Does this happen with several pairs of shoes or only one pair?
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Options
    That's a tough one. Maybe a poor fit? Does this happen with several pairs of shoes or only one pair?

It's happened with a few pairs. I had a pair of shoes that was older, bought new ones, and had the same thing happen. I went walking this morning and noticed that my feet started to hurt around the bottom on the sides at a certain pace - a brisk pace I WANTED to stick to. It subsided considerably once I lowered my pace. The shoe fits properly as far as I can tell... so I have no idea why it happens :/
  • whiteblossom14
    whiteblossom14 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Hey y'all!

I'm just about ready to chop off my damn feet...

Long story short, my feet like to randomly start hurting if I go walking for a while (hasn't happened lately *crosses fingers*)- but moreso if I run or use the elliptical. I made a point of purchasing decent quality running shoes, but my feet still hurt. I've had several false starts because I'll try to establish a regimen, only to be set back by soreness and, one time, an injured knee (ended up using elliptical with improper movements to take pressure off the sides of my feet).

I don't think my shoes are the problem... so what might this be? Has anyone else had this problem - and if so, what did you find helpful?

Hi I also suffer from foot pain I have tried everything expensive trainers went in store got what I was told would help ££££ later still sore feet. I think it's something I have and have to live with unless anyone can help
  • eliaus3640
    eliaus3640 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Try a podiatrist if u can't find a solution? I
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Two things that may be happening:
    1. Over pronating
    2. Over flexing (are you on a treadmill?)

Get on a treadmill and set up an iPad or other device to film your foot strike. Set the camera directly at foot level in the back. Look for any rolling or anything else that may be suspect. Do this a few times.

Then go to a running store. They will film your strike as well. They should see the same things and maybe more. They will have you try several pairs of shoes. Buy your favorite. Try them at home.

I got a pain on the side of my heel after wearing some cheap back-up shoes for tennis. Even with my custom insoles. So fit is important.

SuperFeet make great insoles.

• rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who keeps his feet flexed doing various bodyweight exercises. And later gets spasms. He gets all dramatic hopping around with his toes and foot stuck in a flexed up state.

Many people tend to keep their feet flexed on a treadmill or elliptical. Try getting full range of motion in your feet when on machines. It has been suggested to set the treadmill incline at 10-15%.
  • whiteblossom14
    Options
    eliaus3640 wrote: »

Hi what's that? X
  • harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options

Hi what's that? X

Podiatrist is a foot/ankle/leg doctor. I second going to see a Podiatrist to get to the root of this problem
  • whiteblossom14
    Options

Hi what's that? X

Podiatrist is a foot/ankle/leg doctor. I second going to see a Podiatrist to get to the root of this problem

Ok thank you will see where my nearest one is.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »
    1. Over pronating

Get on a treadmill and set up an iPad or other device to film your foot strike. Set the camera directly at foot level in the back. Look for any rolling or anything else that may be suspect. Do this a few times.

Then go to a running store. They will film your strike as well. They should see the same things and maybe more. They will have you try several pairs of shoes. Buy your favorite. Try them at home.

I got a pain on the side of my heel after wearing some cheap back-up shoes for tennis. Even with my custom insoles. So fit is important.

This is a really good idea! I've never considered that my stride itself might be the problem, but it certainly makes sense. I'll see if I can't try this. fwiw, the foot pain happens regardless of where I am... elliptical, treadmill, or the open road. The pace itself sometimes seems to determine it - I noticed that when I walked at a brisker pace, the pain started up. Same with running or using an elliptical... but not so much when walking. Heck, if I take my very, very leisurely lunch walk in flats (not what I use to actually exercise, mind you, but I can't do a ~true workout during lunch since lol sweat)... no pain. Stride seems to be a likely culprit... I imagine increasing pace exacerbates the problem! I like the idea of going to a running store and having them help, as well.

Thank you all for your help! Hopefully I'll finally be able to get into running the way I've been wanting to! :smiley:
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    2) consider insoles

1) I did not... I know this is laughable, but I had assumed that the results I had obtained from an in-store kiosk showing pressure and whatnot were legit? From what I saw, nothing was too out of the ordinary, although I don't recall exactly what it said :(

2) Good point! I've considered them, but a part of me worries that getting the wrong kind might exacerbate the problem. I'm probably just being a worrywart, though.

3) I'm... weird about feet stuff. My toes tend to have this weird tendency cramp, I guess? Like, outta the blue if I put pressure on my foot a certain way, it feels like my toes are twisting. It's been a thing since I was a kid... but I'm always very paranoid about messing with my feet and toes too much as a result.

4) It's not unbearable, but it does slow one down. It's not normal.

5) I like to swim and use the cycle... but my feet would still hurt using the cycle, and swimming tends to result in the weird toe-twisty feeling if I'm not super careful... :neutral:

most running stores have employees that can look at your gait and get you on your way in no time. machines don't know the right questions to ask. my walking gait is different than my running gait and I never stand on two feet equally.

a podiatrist can help you find the right fit for insoles

I don't like playing around with feet either. and when your toes do that I find rising up onto the ball of my feet helps it stop. but ice your feet, or roll, or both

not normal=see doctor

it's not the same pressure on the foot so it would/should not cause the same pain, especially if you have very low resistance.

stretch your feet. that will also help with the twisty toe thing.
    good foot series
  • marcelo_templario
    marcelo_templario Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I think you must have *kitten* heel, or, you broke your outter toe.
  • marcelo_templario
    marcelo_templario Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I think you must have *kitten* heel, or, you broke your outter toe.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »
    1. Over pronating

all of this including the Superfeet recommendation. Love their insoles, I roll my feet out bad, was making my feet, knees, hips hurt. Took 5 Drs for one to look at me and go "look how you're standing!" A running store, good shoes, good insoles later and I'm doing great.
  • Tyke2410
    Tyke2410 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    See a podiatrist - I had a very similar sounding problem, turned out to be collapsed arches, now I have made to measure insoles to wear 24/7.
    You may have a totally different problem (and I hope you do!) but a gait analysis at a sports store that wants to sell you some footwear may not suffice; see a medical professional if you can. My problem caused me pain in my feet, ankles, knees, right hip and muscle spasms in my neck/shoulder. Unhappy feet can be a nightmare!