MFP Calories vs. Machine Calories?

Options
I have been tracking the calorie loss my elliptical says over the calorie loss MFP suggests I lost, but why the large difference?! For example, 30 minutes on my elliptical is telling me I've lost roughly 260 calories. But, MFP is telling me I should have lost over 400? I don't exactly go "real fast" on my elliptical, but I'm definitely not crawling either... So, anyone have the answer? Why the huge difference? And, am I "doing it right" by tracking what my elliptical says over MFP? :huh:

Replies

• kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    does your elliptical have different resistance settings and speeds? that'll affect what MFP doesnt calculate
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I bust my @$$ on the eliptical doing intervals and what not and I can burn about 12 calories a minute.... If you aren't Giving it all you can I would say the 400 calories is too high. The 260 sounds more reasonable.. you could average them or do about 300 calories. but the only way you are going to get a most accurate reading is with a HRM.
  • shannontrevino
    shannontrevino Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If you up the resistance and go all out until your spent, you'll burn more calories. Sprints are a good fat burner.
  • tsbrown09
    tsbrown09 Posts: 53
    Options
    I use the amount from the elliptical. I get different amounts with different levels of resistance, so far they are always less than MFP. However, since I have gotten better and started using different programs, with higher resistance, I am getting much closer than I was.
  • Yocum1219
    Yocum1219 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on resistance & settings. The treadmill I use is within 2-3 calories of MFP calories (as long as I remember to put in my weight). But each machine is different, so and HRM is what I'm gonna go for, if not save up for an actual Body Bugg or something similar. :o)
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I would go with the machine more so than MFP.
    Both are generally higher than what you actually burn.
    When I use my HRM and compare to what the machine says, the machine is always higher. :(
    I typically burn 10-12 calories per minute, that's kind of in the middle of speeds/intensities.
    30 minutes on the Arc (similar to an elliptical), is usually for me around 350 calories.
    When you use the machine, make sure you keep having it check your heart rate.
  • Crystaljk78
    Crystaljk78 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    According to my elliptical, I burn 305 calories in 30 minutes. I prefer to log that number rather than the higher one given by MFP, just so I know I'm not going over on how many calories I eat that day. :)
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    That's a great example of why I don't believe in "eating" all of your exercise calories. As has already been pointed out, an HRM that measures burn would be the most accurate. MFP #'s are estimates at best, and machine #'s are notoriously inaccurate. IMO, just go with the lower #.
  • Musicmedicine
    Musicmedicine Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I would probably suggest manually typing the calories into MFP from off of the elliptical because the machine knows the resistance settings better. Sorry if this has been said already.