Goal weight - how do you decide?

Options
MaggotPig
MaggotPig Posts: 89 Member
edited August 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
How do you decide what your goal weight is?

I've been gradually shrinking since January 2014. I'm a 6'0" female of I'd say large/broad build (I have quite broad shoulders and wide hips). I started out at 25st 6lbs (356lbs) and am currently 17st (238lbs). I've always said that my initial goal will be 15st/210lbs (which I never In a million years thought I'd achieve but is rapidly looking like I'm going to get there) and then I'd re-evaluate.

Weight loss resources/professionals are scarce where I live. My GP is aware of my weightloss as it's caused a few health issues along the way, and all she keeps asking is whether I'm still losing weight (yes!) and seems surprised that I am.

In order to reach the upper end of a healthy BMI, I'd need a goal weight of 13st (182lbs). I know that goal weights are largely arbitrary really, but I feel like I need to have a target, and end goal, to work towards. I currently struggle (and think I will continue to) determine visually when I'm happy with my weightloss. Besides the fact that I have abused my body over the years and it shows, I also still see myself as big as I was when I started out, so I can't really rely on the visual side of things.

Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions welcomed :)

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I chose the upper limit of my BMI but thought I don't mind if I'm slightly above it...I'm large framed judging by my wrist measurements

I was happy when I got to upper BMI and went to maintenance but kept dropping trying to find my maintenance amount and I'm now maintaining around 5-10lbs under my maximum BMI so have a BMI reading of around 24

Goals are something you aim for ...but you can re-evaluate as you get near
  • MaggotPig
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I chose the upper limit of my BMI but thought I don't mind if I'm slightly above it...I'm large framed judging by my wrist measurements

I was happy when I got to upper BMI and went to maintenance but kept dropping trying to find my maintenance amount and I'm now maintaining around 5-10lbs under my maximum BMI so have a BMI reading of around 24

Goals are something you aim for ...but you can re-evaluate as you get near

Thank you for taking the time to reply :)

I have several goals, scale based and otherwise. I also have a fat-bucket list of things I want to do where previously I wasn't able to due to my weight. One goal is to be able to walk into any standard highstreet store and be able to buy clothes. Top half is good, achieved that, but my bottom half is still huge!
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    May I suggest a progressive heavy lifting programme

Books: strong curves or new rules of lifting for women

Online programmes: stronglifts 5x5, starting strength, ice cream fitness

Seriously, absolutely totally worthwhile in getting your body tight as you lose weight
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    BMI for me not because its perfect, but its just a standard. As you lose weight then you start to see what it looks like and where its coming off, then you cna re-evaluate. What rabbit said about lifting as it will give you a better shape and help make your weight loss more effective by preserving muscle. For people putting on muscle then its challenging to stay within BMI.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    You haven't said whether your upper limit weight was one that you have held for a long time.
    What I based my goal on was the weight I had held for a good number of years before my weight gain.
    I felt like me at the previous weight, and once I had got back there, I felt happy in my body once again.
    Actually I feel better. The better us due to, for the first time in my life, doing structured exercise programmes. I look slimmer now than I did previously at my weight. If you can, do some resistance work.

Cheers, h.

• MaggotPig
    Options
    You haven't said whether your upper limit weight was one that you have held for a long time.
    What I based my goal on was the weight I had held for a good number of years before my weight gain.
    I felt like me at the previous weight, and once I had got back there, I felt happy in my body once again.
    Actually I feel better. The better us due to, for the first time in my life, doing structured exercise programmes. I look slimmer now than I did previously at my weight. If you can, do some resistance work.

Cheers, h.

I don't ever remember being this weight/size. I've always been very overweight, so I don't really have a previous weight to aim for.

I do resistance/weighty stuff at the gym and have recently discovered group classes. Going to kettlebells on Monday evening and really hoping I enjoy it. Until recently, exercise has been a chore, but I'm actually starting to enjoy it now!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Ok, then I do understand how you don't know what to aim for.
    Your 210,for an initial goal, is a good one to aim for, maintain for a couple of weeks, then decide where you want to go from there.

210 will put you in the 'overweight' BMI range. And you may find you want to reach for something like 185, which, I think, takes you into the 'healthy' range.

You have come so far already, are exercising well (glad to see you are incorporating a bit of resistance work), losing at a steady pace, and if you find that right now 210 is right for you, stay with that and continue with the healthier lifestyle you are developing.

Well done on on your achievements so far.
    Cheers, h.
  • MaggotPig
    Options
    Ok, then I do understand how you don't know what to aim for.
    Your 210,for an initial goal, is a good one to aim for, maintain for a couple of weeks, then decide where you want to go from there.

210 will put you in the 'overweight' BMI range. And you may find you want to reach for something like 185, which, I think, takes you into the 'healthy' range.

You have come so far already, are exercising well (glad to see you are incorporating a bit of resistance work), losing at a steady pace, and if you find that right now 210 is right for you, stay with that and continue with the healthier lifestyle you are developing.

Well done on on your achievements so far.
    Cheers, h.

Thank you :)

It's weird that I don't see it myself, but people are commenting on my weightloss, even my antisocial neighbour who I've never actually even spoken to before (I've lived here 2 years!) has commented. I think having a numerical goal is going to be important in knowing when I'm there.

The fact that I could realistically get to an "overweight" BMI is quite something in itself. I started out at super-morbidly-obese! Thinking about it logically, I'm still I eating 2000 calories a day and losing steadily, that's before factoring in exercise which I've just decided is actually quite fun, so going below the initial goal of 210lbs should theoretically be quite doable.

We've set a date for our wedding after I went to a wedding as a guest and for the first time ever, felt that I looked ok. The dresses I like will have a requirement for me to get my curves under control so I've got that as a goal as well :)
  • MaggotPig
    Options
    Interestingly, the photo on the left just popped up on that time hop thingy on Facebook, taken 3 years ago today. The photo on the left was 2 weeks ago gzjx0acoeubx.jpg
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    That's a great difference

Well done :)
  • healthkickkath1
    healthkickkath1 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Wow you look fabulous . Great job! Congrats on the upcoming wedding
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,874 Member
    Options
    First I chose a number I used to weigh 4 years ago ... within my BMI range, but near the top end.

I hit that, took a short break, and now I'm aiming for the middle of the BMI range.
  • MaggotPig
    Options
    Wow you look fabulous . Great job! Congrats on the upcoming wedding

Thank you - wedding is 2 years away (October 2017) as both fiancé and I have some shrinking to do. I figure that gives me just over a year before needing to think about dresses!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I've never really had a number carved in stone. I didn't plan or dream of losing all this weight. I cleaned up my diet and weight started coming off, so for the longest time, I was like, "Cool! How awesome is this? I wonder if I can drop another size?!" It was along the way that I was like, "Whoa. I can get to thin if I want." So, THIN has been the goal.

When people ask how much I plan to lose, I say, "More." It's always just more. I will know I'm done when I get there. Either I'll be looking how I want to look or the weight will just get too hard to lose and I'll say, "Well, this is good enough!"

I've been reevaluating how much I want to lose. My loose skin is becoming an issue. I can't get too much more or I'll actually need surgery, which I don't want.

I think I'd like to lose about another 30 pounds, but will just have to see how it goes. It's really an "I'll know it when I get there" kind of deal.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Middle of healthy BMI for me, but I'm maintaining 3 pounds over right now (too hungry as a whole to go under).
  • jms5137
    jms5137 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My current goal weight is a weight I got down to about 2 years ago and was happy with. I had a very active job at that time, so I'm not sure if it is a practical weight to maintain for the long haul, but I'll worry about that when I get closer to that number.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    My goal weight was a range that I'd be happy to maintain for the rest of my life while enjoying the food and drink that I enjoy. I looked at the TDEE of my goal weight for the amount of working out that I would realistically do over the next few years - if it was too low, then I wouldn't do it (for me, that would be at 5'6" under 140 lbs).
  • KrisiAnnH
    KrisiAnnH Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    My first 'goal weight' is just the highest healthy range for my BMI. I know BMI isn't an exact science but it seemed like a good starting point :) My plan has always been to get to a 'healthy' BMI and then see how I feel about losing more, I'm currently 13lbs away from my first goal and I know I'll want to lose more, but I may focus more on the fitness aspect once I'm there :) I think goals are always going to be changing/flexible though no matter if you're losing or in maintenance :)
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Talk with your doctor or dietitian.

I started aiming for the top of a healthy BMI range.
    BMI-Chart-eng.png

Then I changed to 10 lb under the top.
    When I get there, I'll see how I feel & look.
    I might go as much as another 15 under that (so 25 under the top), which would put me squarely in the center
    of the healthy range. But I can't imagine going lower than that.

I'm almost to a healthy body fat % as well. If I eventually get into the 'fit' or 'athletic' category, that's a bonus.

Also, the search function is your friend.
    This has been addressed many many many many many times already.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/search
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Past experience and BMI.
    As an adult, I have weighed everywhere from the lowest end of the healthy BMI to just crossing the line into obese. The weight I felt best at in the past was the middle of the healthy BMI range.
    Initially, I wasn't very confident so I set my weight loss goal high but have since lowered my goal weight.
    It is okay to set smaller goals or change your goal.