Starving myself FAT

Options

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Caloric surplus at 800 calories? Hah, only if your BMR is 500.

This comment is to be said to the rhythm of "Baby Got Back" by Sir Mix A Lot.

Haha Great job :laugh:

• sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I could get to 200 on 800 calories a day. Of course, I'd be starting above 200.

Nobody gained weight up to 200 eating 800 calories a day. It just didn't happen, whether you believe it did or not. You'd be more believable if you claimed you could fly. At least there could be some discussion on gliding versus flying. There's no reasonable discussing to be had on gaining up to 200 on 800 calories a day.
    Stop trying to impose your science on others. Her fingerprints are different than yours and so is her science.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    k78fnjsgnkp7.jpg
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    oocdc2 wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Your body doesn't work that way. If you're starving yourself, you'll lose weight. But eating that little could set people up for binges, which would negate their progress.

You don't have to eat breakfast if you don't want to; just fit those calories in at a later time.

OP, the "Starvation Mode" you described does NOT exist. It just doesn't. It's a bunch of hogwash that needs to just die already and quit being spread around. You were likely overcompensating at dinner for skipping breakfast and lunch and that was the cause of the no loss. Your body was starving after all day not eating! You are likely losing now because you are no longer letting yourself get so darned hungry before eating.
    Maybe "Starvation Mode" didn't happen to you and others on this site, but it sure happened to me. For years, I was eating maybe 800 calories: no weight loss. In fact, I slowly gained weight over the years until I was well over 200 lbs. When I joined this site and started to log my food, I started to eat more (1450 calories!), but I started to eat better.

Now, I will 'fess up that (I believe) a major problem was my sugar intake during the starvation years was way too high for a pre-diabetic. When I got my sugar below 30 g daily, weight loss went much easier. But, even now, more than 40 lbs later and around 1200 daily caloric intake, I'm still eating more than I did when I started.

I think my points are, 1. Circumstances alter cases: there are potentially too many factors at play for each individual to make one-size-fits-all conclusions, including CICO, and 2. No one on these forums can know the eating habits/lives of anyone else unless they live with them. If people could stop making inferences and snap-judgments, that would be great. We'll all just trying to lose/gain/maintain weight here. Thanks.

Let me leave this for you.

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/
  • saschagala
    saschagala Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Frankly, measuring your weight every day is pointless and put you under lots of pressure. Do it once a week, the number that pops up then will stick, unlike the daily one which already changes during daytime!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    oocdc2 wrote: »
    Maybe "Starvation Mode" didn't happen to you and others on this site, but it sure happened to me. For years, I was eating maybe 800 calories: no weight loss. In fact, I slowly gained weight over the years until I was well over 200 lbs. When I joined this site and started to log my food, I started to eat more (1450 calories!), but I started to eat better.

Now, I will 'fess up that (I believe) a major problem was my sugar intake during the starvation years was way too high for a pre-diabetic. When I got my sugar below 30 g daily, weight loss went much easier. But, even now, more than 40 lbs later and around 1200 daily caloric intake, I'm still eating more than I did when I started.

I think my points are, 1. Circumstances alter cases: there are potentially too many factors at play for each individual to make one-size-fits-all conclusions, including CICO, and 2. No one on these forums can know the eating habits/lives of anyone else unless they live with them. If people could stop making inferences and snap-judgments, that would be great. We'll all just trying to lose/gain/maintain weight here. Thanks.

You're saying you got to 200 pounds eating 800 calories a day?
    Seems legit ....lol

She did say maybe. She didn't count. Nothing out of the ordinary here.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    I starved myself fat too. Then I started really logging EVERYTHING I ate or drink for 2 weeks. Turns out I was eating a lot of stuff and forgetting I ate it. Or I was eating food and not realizing how many calories I was actually eating. I wasn't starving myself at all, I was eating way more than I realized hence I was slowly but surely gaining weight.

This is possibly a bit off-topic, but you may have starved yourself despite gaining weight, if you didn't get the nutrients you needed. I had a really bad diet, had lots of strange and subtle signs of malnutrition, but I was fat, and I didn't know that one could be overfed and undernourished at the same time.
  • Tahlia68
    Tahlia68 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    tlroof wrote: »
    My epiphany. I recently realized that I was literally starving myself to a fatter me. It's so hard to figure out what to believe in the world of weight loss but this is true! We cannot starve ourselves and get results! I have a very active job working outside since April of this year and I thought I would definitely see some weight loss. I decided to skip breakfast and lunch, eat a late snack and then a small dinner and I hadn't lost a lb! I'm not a 'breakfast person' but I've been forcing myself to eat in the morning, eat lunch each day and an earlier dinner. In the last three days the scale has gone down. I'm sure I'll plateau after I lose water weight but it's good info to get the ball rolling! Eat!
    You can not starve yourself FAT? CICO doesn't matter if you skip meals as long as you eat at a deficit. :smile:

• MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    I starved myself fat too. Then I started really logging EVERYTHING I ate or drink for 2 weeks. Turns out I was eating a lot of stuff and forgetting I ate it. Or I was eating food and not realizing how many calories I was actually eating. I wasn't starving myself at all, I was eating way more than I realized hence I was slowly but surely gaining weight.

This is possibly a bit off-topic, but you may have starved yourself despite gaining weight, if you didn't get the nutrients you needed. I had a really bad diet, had lots of strange and subtle signs of malnutrition, but I was fat, and I didn't know that one could be overfed and undernourished at the same time.

Every definition I've seen of the word "starve" indicates that you'd need to pick something else to describe a diet that isn't all that (micro) nutrient rich
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Every definition I've seen of the word "starve" indicates that you'd need to pick something else to describe a diet that isn't all that (micro) nutrient rich

OK, maybe undernutrion or malnutrition are better terms.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    kvansteen wrote: »
    starvation mode... http://authoritynutrition.com/starvation-mode/ temporary but true and can be combated with exercise.

Pro-tip: If authoritynutrition states something, the truth is pretty much guaranteed to be the exact opposite.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,082 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

OK, maybe undernutrion or malnutrition are better terms.

Yes it is obviously possible to gain weight and be malnourished at the same time - if one ate only bread, chips, soda, meat,cheese - one would be anaemic and get scurvy. These are forms of malnourishment.
    But not starve.

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    saschagala wrote: »
    Frankly, measuring your weight every day is pointless and put you under lots of pressure. Do it once a week, the number that pops up then will stick, unlike the daily one which already changes during daytime!
    Not pointless. Not a necessity, but not pointless.

• Melon_Ninja
    Melon_Ninja Posts: 10 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    If you starve yourself you'll lose the weight. It's the binging that comes after the starving as well as not learning what and how to eat. I was apart of a test group on a 700-900 calorie diet at my heaviest. I kept loosing but I never felt good, it was shocking. After the 6 weeks I went to 2000cals a day and maintained.

That was under supervision for a University... I had a weekly check in, blood tests, the works!!! And I was on a bunch of Vitamins. Do NOT do this on your own...

I would NEVER do this again though, It was lucky that I was off work during the time as there is no way I would have functioned. I've got a good 80lbs to lose and I plan to do that eating well and learning a new life style.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    saschagala wrote: »
    Not pointless. Not a necessity, but not pointless.

Yup. If you're gonna break down sobbing uncontrollably if you see a slight upwards fluctuation, then maybe daily weighing isn't for you. But if you can handle it, it's good data
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Oh. My. God. Becky.

Instead of bingo we should now all play a game where comments must be in the form of 90s rap songs....

I will continue.

OP... It takes food to make your body work right... It takes a food scale to make weight loss out of sight...

(It Takes Two by Rob Bass...)
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Oh. My. God. Becky.

Instead of bingo we should now all play a game where comments must be in the form of 90s rap songs....

I will continue.

OP... It takes food to make your body work right... It takes a food scale to make weight loss out of sight...

(It Takes Two by Rob Bass...)

Alright stop calaborate and listen , cico is the way to do this.

Get a food scale and weigh everything.

( ice ice baby - vanilla ice...)

that's all I got ...its too early for this !
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I hate rap. B)
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    @PrizePopple @WinoGelato and @thorsmom01 just made this thread worth reading again.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    2Poufs wrote: »
    @PrizePopple @WinoGelato and @thorsmom01 just made this thread worth reading again.

:smiley: