How do you get back on track after a vacation?

Options
titotito48
titotito48 Posts: 120 Member
I just got back from a one week vacation where I indulged way past my calorie allotment most days. I did do some hiking a few of those days and my regular run on the day that we left though. I will try to stick to my 1200 calories, drink all my water and do my regular workouts til I feel the bloating subside, then I will weigh in. Hopefully damage not too bad.

Replies

• cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Just keep going! A few pounds or a week of vacation won't matter if you look at the big picture and realize that healthy eating is a lifelong journey.
  • jennaatsuad
    jennaatsuad Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    A week won't undo all of your hard work! You wouldn't expect one week of "perfect" eating to get you to goal, and one week of indulgence won't put you back at square one - just enjoy your vacation memories and get right back on with your day-to-day life routine. :)
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    titotito48 wrote: »
    I just got back from a one week vacation where I indulged way past my calorie allotment most days. I did do some hiking a few of those days and my regular run on the day that we left though. I will try to stick to my 1200 calories, drink all my water and do my regular workouts til I feel the bloating subside, then I will weigh in. Hopefully damage not too bad.
    You simply start tomorrow from wherever you are.

Just worry not, get on track and enjoy the start of your journey back.

• teresa19622015
    teresa19622015 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm going to Spain and one of the people coming is a fabulous cook and takes over the kitchen. Also I've been off the wine since starting and that will definitely be on the menu. I know I can get right back on track as soon as I return but I am trying to work out strategies now to help while away. Eating great meals and drinking is a big part of the pleasure of going. Also it's my house now as my mother died recently, my father's ashes are there, my husband's too...we'll be scattering my mother's, so a sad visit. The place holds a lot of great memories. I am a bit worried as it took a lot of psychological effort to get going on this 'healthy life change' and don't want to flick that switch off.
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I admit it's painful for me because I've indulged in those things I crave, and that just starts those cravings all over again. I just plow through like I did when I started although it's not easy.
  • CoffeeSlayer
    CoffeeSlayer Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    There are moments in the WLJ that will test your dedication. Vacations, celebrations, falling off for awhile, going on a binge .....These are the moments that seperate the successful. If you can keep picking yourself back up you will have to do it less and less.
  • Oldbitcollector
    Oldbitcollector Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    It's no biggie. Just pick right up, right now and off you go.

A week of vacation isn't a life change, it was vacation!
    Consider it a celebration of your great life and get back to work. :)
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Just get back to your calorie deficit, enjoying every same things (or versions) in smaller amounts!

And have no regrets!!
  • jennontheroad
    jennontheroad Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I was on vacation for a month in Turkey and I gained weight. I've been very closely watching what I eat since I've been back and lost the weight again. Because I indulged so much on holiday it's easy now to pass on treats and carbs. Also it's much easier to eat healthy when you have your own kitchen and routine. Enjoy your holiday!
  • titotito48
    Options
    I had a good day yesterday. Stayed close to my allotted calories. Today is a little easier
  • IncredibleShrinkingSandy
    Options
    How did you decide to make a change in the first place? You just finally did it. The cravings and insatiable hunger will taper off after a few days and your body will adjust to the calorie deficit just like it did before. To get anywhere you have to take the steps. I recently took a diet break for 3 weeks knowing full well exactly how long I was going to do it and that I would be back in full swing at the end of it. After 3 weeks of eating to my hunger and not worrying about calories (I still made sure to keep it marginally healthy) I was starving the first week I was back on counting calories. After about a week of being within my calorie budget I was no longer hungry in between meals and it was as if I never took that break. I lost the 7 pounds I gained from the diet break during that first week back on calorie counting as it was mostly water weight. My body knew it was go time again and while there was a small adjustment period to getting back on track, I stayed strong and used mind over matter. I know it sounds a lot easier than it is. I have struggled with my weight from my late teens and throughout my 20s. So, I understand that it's a battle inside yourself. Just remain strong and don't forget that no matter what the choice is yours. Cake and pizza aren't going anywhere. They will still be there when you reach your goal. The best part of that is that after you reach your goal you will have more control over eating all the cake or pizza and instead having the discipline to eat just a slice.
  • titotito48
    Options
    How did you decide to make a change in the first place? You just finally did it. The cravings and insatiable hunger will taper off after a few days and your body will adjust to the calorie deficit just like it did before. To get anywhere you have to take the steps. I recently took a diet break for 3 weeks knowing full well exactly how long I was going to do it and that I would be back in full swing at the end of it. After 3 weeks of eating to my hunger and not worrying about calories (I still made sure to keep it marginally healthy) I was starving the first week I was back on counting calories. After about a week of being within my calorie budget I was no longer hungry in between meals and it was as if I never took that break. I lost the 7 pounds I gained from the diet break during that first week back on calorie counting as it was mostly water weight. My body knew it was go time again and while there was a small adjustment period to getting back on track, I stayed strong and used mind over matter. I know it sounds a lot easier than it is. I have struggled with my weight from my late teens and throughout my 20s. So, I understand that it's a battle inside yourself. Just remain strong and don't forget that no matter what the choice is yours. Cake and pizza aren't going anywhere. They will still be there when you reach your goal. The best part of that is that after you reach your goal you will have more control over eating all the cake or pizza and instead having the discipline to eat just a slice.

• titotito48
    Options
    That is very encouraging that you lost what you'd gained after one week. I hope that is true in my case
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    After my last Vacay (that sounds extremely similar to yours) I made sure I had a gallon of water the first 2 days after (then I went back to my regular water intake) but then I slowly worked my calories back down. So instead of starting right back at 1200 calories a day could you bring it up a little? So you don't feel like you are starving in the beginning and end up in a binge?
  • titotito48
    Options
    I did go over a bit the last two days and am working my way down, but I didn't think of drinking a gallon of water. I will do that today and tomorrow. Great idea! Thanks.will weigh in on Friday and will post my results
  • NC_Girl
    NC_Girl Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm so right there with you. I was on vacation a week and a half and stuffed my face with anything and everything that I wanted! Today is my day 1 back to tracking. It's been a struggle but my honey is doing this with me this time to lose what he put on. I'm hoping that where we are both doing it that I might be able to get back on track. Good luck to you....lets just take one day at a time and DO THIS!
  • titotito48
    Options
    So I drank a gallon of water the last 3 days and my official weigh in was this morning. I am up 1.4 pounds. Not too bad for everything I ate while on vacation. Hoping next week takes the rest off and maybe a little bit more!
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I went to Paris in May and ate whatever I wanted whenever I wanted
  • skinnyb05
    skinnyb05 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I just returned this past Tuesday from an 8 day trip. I logged into MFP everyday but it was impossible to track my calories. I ate my favorites but also found myself making better choices. I weighed in when I got back and it said I was up 3 lbs. I knew that wasn't a "real gain". It was merely lack of drinking all my water and being in routine. I got back to all my water, tracking my calories and working out and this morning I'm showing up only .5 lb. You will drop it and see.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I did a week at the beach recently and went to all the silly touristy restaurants like Planet Hollywood and Cheeseburger in Paradise, had lots of tasty cocktails and while I did still come here and log most days, I was on vacation, and that meant a total vacation.

Then I simply came home and went back to it. I don't even care if I gained anything or not. I haven't weighed myself since the day I got back and won't again until Sunday. I needed to give myself a good two weeks before I did any measurements.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!