Sorry TMI Period weight gain

Options
13»

Replies

• cmcdonald525
    cmcdonald525 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm usually up 4-6lbs the week or two before, then the second day of my period: Whoosh! That's usually when I see my lowest weight of the month. Yet even though I know the cycle and expect it, I get so frustrated seeing that higher number for so long. Lol the only reason I don't hate my TOM is for that new low.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    TOM totally effects my weight loss. The week before I feel like i'm starving- binge on everything in site lol. The week of, i'm much less hungry, but my weight is stagnant. Right after my period, I lose in a big WHOOSH. its very strange and really affects my month :) Don't be too hard on yourself during this time-- you cant control it :)

This is how it is with me every month as well. I just don't step on the scale until the week after TOM. I'm maintaining, but still don't like seeing the 2 pounds extra on the scale even though I know it's just fluid and will be gone the following week.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    We're not taught nearly enough about our own bodies and menstrual cycles growing up. Try hanging out on a "trying to get pregnant" website sometime. It's really depressing to see how little most women (and a lot of doctors) really know about our A&P.

Quite. I don't really understand why more ladies don't go out and learn about it. I can't tell you how many partners would tell me, "How do you know all these things even I never knew?" Just because I don't own a car doesn't mean I get to be ignorant about how to drive one! :)

Cogent information: Check out trendweight.com. It will hook in with fitbit or withings and will filter out the noise of temporary water weight by giving and graphing a rolling average for your weight. Yeah, you don't get the immediate hit of losing a pound of water weight, but at the same time, you don't shoot up when you gain either. This is what the graphs look like.

You are a real man. I like you :)

ETA: The pic doesn't show here.

+1
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Extremely normal, I was 84kg last monday and now 77.9kg...I gain weight at ovulation.
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    My experience is that I apparently know stuff about periods that a big chunk of women don't. Which is mind-boggling to me.

Lol.

To be fair, I've just learned stuff now that I weigh myself daily that I didn't know before, such as I also gain and lose a few pounds around ovulation.

I actually see a bigger shift for ovulation than for my period. During my period, my weight maintains for a few days, then drops. During ovulation, it actually shifts up a pound or two.
    kgeyser wrote: »

No, because that's not the topic of this discussion, nor is it appropriate for the General Diet and Weight Loss section, nor are divisive topics appropriate for the main forums.

I found it interesting. Btw it is about the TOM also.
  • 6502programmer
    6502programmer Posts: 515 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    We're not taught nearly enough about our own bodies and menstrual cycles growing up. Try hanging out on a "trying to get pregnant" website sometime. It's really depressing to see how little most women (and a lot of doctors) really know about our A&P.

Quite. I don't really understand why more ladies don't go out and learn about it. I can't tell you how many partners would tell me, "How do you know all these things even I never knew?" Just because I don't own a car doesn't mean I get to be ignorant about how to drive one! :)

Cogent information: Check out trendweight.com. It will hook in with fitbit or withings and will filter out the noise of temporary water weight by giving and graphing a rolling average for your weight. Yeah, you don't get the immediate hit of losing a pound of water weight, but at the same time, you don't shoot up when you gain either. This is what the graphs look like.

You are a real man. I like you :)

ETA: The pic doesn't show here.

+1

I didn't want to junk up the thread by embedding the picture that shows what happens when you eat steak dinners, cheeseburgers, and chicken wings, but here it is in its glory:

4w.png

The important takeaway is that the site shows you your weight loss in a rolling average, and evens out day to day variations of water weight, etc.

Back on topic (more or less): Read The Hite Report on Female Sexuality. Seriously. It will help you understand what is normal, what is not, and that even if it's not, there's still countless women JUST. LIKE. YOU.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    My experience is that I apparently know stuff about periods that a big chunk of women don't. Which is mind-boggling to me.

Lol.

To be fair, I've just learned stuff now that I weigh myself daily that I didn't know before, such as I also gain and lose a few pounds around ovulation.

I actually see a bigger shift for ovulation than for my period. During my period, my weight maintains for a few days, then drops. During ovulation, it actually shifts up a pound or two.
    kgeyser wrote: »

No, because that's not the topic of this discussion, nor is it appropriate for the General Diet and Weight Loss section, nor are divisive topics appropriate for the main forums.

I found it interesting. Btw it is about the TOM also.

Taxes on tampons have nothing to do with weight gain related to menstrual cycle, which is what the OP asked.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

The sad part is that this may be true.

The only reason I know anything is because I took it upon myself to educate myself. Most people don't.

I remember watching a horrible video in health class involving pancakes being poured in the shape of a uterus, but I don't remember discussing some of the more practical aspects (or at least I don't remember the temporary weight gain issue being discussed).
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    My mother was a devout Catholic and any talk of bodies and how they work (especially DOWN THERE) made her very uncomfortable while I was growing up (once I became an adult, she was much freer in the things she'd discuss). Fortunately, I had a slutty older cousin who told me everything I wanted to know (and some things that to this day I wish I didn't know :wink: ).

One day, when my daughter was in 5th grade, the class was divided up: girls went into one room with one of the school nurses, boys went into another room with the other nurse. Each group got taught about the changes that were going to be happening to their bodies. Parents were notified about it beforehand...and I'm sure a few raised a stink about it, but I was glad they did it! I told my daughter to come to me with any questions, which she did.

Even in the absence of a class like that, not knowing that you may gain water weight during your period means that you've never:

(a) Felt bloated at that time;
    (b) Had a sister or friend who complained about feeling bloated at that time;
    (c) Seen a commercial or magazine ad for Midol and other like products, with a homicidal looking woman holding her belly, in obvious discomfort.

I never ceased to be amazed at how oblivious people can be.
  • HikeCyclist
    HikeCyclist Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    OP this might be useful to explain some things to you.

http://www.m.webmd.com/diet/features/is-pms-sabotaging-your-diet
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    My mother was a devout Catholic and any talk of bodies and how they work (especially DOWN THERE) made her very uncomfortable while I was growing up (once I became an adult, she was much freer in the things she'd discuss). Fortunately, I had a slutty older cousin who told me everything I wanted to know (and some things that to this day I wish I didn't know :wink: ).

One day, when my daughter was in 5th grade, the class was divided up: girls went into one room with one of the school nurses, boys went into another room with the other nurse. Each group got taught about the changes that were going to be happening to their bodies. Parents were notified about it beforehand...and I'm sure a few raised a stink about it, but I was glad they did it! I told my daughter to come to me with any questions, which she did.

Even in the absence of a class like that, not knowing that you may gain water weight during your period means that you've never:

(c) Seen a commercial or magazine ad for Midol and other like products, with a homicidal looking woman holding her belly, in obvious discomfort.

I spent 8 years trying to conceive and still never once noticed any bloating and I was paying a LOT of attention to my body. I still don't ever feel bloated due to menses. Bloated to me is intestines being full of air and needing a good fart, maybe we just have differing ideas of the word across different countries/cultures. I know I have more knowledge on cervical mucous than I ever imagined possible ;-). I've also never heard any other female refer to being 'bloated' apart from online forums or American TV shows. I perhaps might say I'm retaining water in my own head.

I feel that NZ is/was pretty progressive about body teachings; as a 9 year old in 1991 we had talks about periods, erections, cervical fluid, sperm, water retention etc and it involved boys and girls in the same room. I don't see why parents would need to raise a stink about that sort of thing?
  • rebeccamorgan58152
    rebeccamorgan58152 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »

I spent 8 years trying to conceive and still never once noticed any bloating and I was paying a LOT of attention to my body. I still don't ever feel bloated due to menses.
    Ditto. I had no idea that I retained a couple of kgs of water immediately before and during my period until I joined MFP, recorded my weight every day and read the forums. On the other hand, I can give you a decent estimate of how my relative estrogen and progesterone levels are going at any time, based on cervical mucus...

• tillthefitladysings
    tillthefitladysings Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Okay, everyone. She's been thoroughly informed that yes, this is normal. There's no need to go on and on about how crazy it is that she didn't know that. Now she knows. Done, easy.
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    My cycle is plotting to kill me...it's the weirdest damned thing to the point where I'm wondering if I could possibly be going through premenaupause already.

My actual period barely lasts 3 days...as in there is blood and I need protection. And I just BARELY need protection...I barely bleed those 3 days.

I start getting menstrual symptoms up to 1.5 weeks before I need any actual protection. It's very frustrating because I get this sensation of restlessness like it's nobody's business and it lasts until my stupid uterus decides to FINALLY let go. The sensation of relief is indescribable! Besides that weird restlessness that's only been happening for about a year symptoms are abdominal cramps (holy *kitten* the cramps, *whimper*), bloating to the point where I look 5 months pregnant with a gain of around 5lbs (not even kidding about the pregnant look), joint swelling (especially in the knees & it's a lot worse than it used to be), fatigue, moodiness and my fibromyalgia flaring up to encompass upper and lower body generalized pain instead of just my usual upper. Weirdly enough, my appetite diminishes though I get raging thirst. In the last few months I've also begun to experience breast pain both during my period and my ovulation. It used to be I had ZERO ovulation indicators, not even the milky discharge most people seem to have.

I don't quite know what to make of these changes. I mean, it's great that I barely bleed but I'd rather have a regular flow over 5-7 days than have to deal with all these intense symptoms without the so called payoff...:/
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »

I spent 8 years trying to conceive and still never once noticed any bloating and I was paying a LOT of attention to my body. I still don't ever feel bloated due to menses. Bloated to me is intestines being full of air and needing a good fart, maybe we just have differing ideas of the word across different countries/cultures. I know I have more knowledge on cervical mucous than I ever imagined possible ;-). I've also never heard any other female refer to being 'bloated' apart from online forums or American TV shows. I perhaps might say I'm retaining water in my own head.

I feel that NZ is/was pretty progressive about body teachings; as a 9 year old in 1991 we had talks about periods, erections, cervical fluid, sperm, water retention etc and it involved boys and girls in the same room. I don't see why parents would need to raise a stink about that sort of thing?

To address your last comment first: People can be uptight and puritanical about sex and anything associated with it, and some parents would balk at anyone other than them teaching their kids about it.

As for the fact that you never once noticed any bloat: I never said that EVERY woman experienced it. I just don't think it's a hidden aspect of being a girl, and I'm always surprised when woman have no idea that it can happen, even if it doesn't happen to them.