How to eat vegetables

Options
faji2015
faji2015 Posts: 93 Member
edited August 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I basically eat processed or carbs only. I am on 1200 calorie and now I am getting worried about my hairs n skin...when I was not on 1200. I was eating three meals. Serious meals what everybody eats. But, I can't leave my sweey tooth n carb love. I waste my all calories on 2 carb items daily.So, I am not left with any calories to eat proper meals.And then, I starve myself rest of the day. What should I do?

Replies

• faji2015
    Options
    Sweet*
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Go to the store, buy veggies, go home, cook veggies (optional), eat veggies.

I don't think I understand the question.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    How old are you?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    The title is about eating veggies and the post is about not being able to stop eating sweets.

To eat veggies, buy veggies. Buy all different kinds and if you don't absolutely hate them, keep trying them in new ways until you find ones you like. There are about 18,000,000 different ways to make veggies - you're bound to like a few.

The sweet tooth thing...either make room in your 1200 calories for treats (not easy) or learn to live without them. It's hard to stop eating yummy treats all the time...at first, it's hard...but it gets easier.

All of that assumes you really must eat 1200 calories. Lots of people are able to eat more and still lose weight. Start high and don't drop to 1200 unless you must. But if you must, focus on getting all your vitamins and minerals. That will help you skip the sweets. It's really, really, super hard to get all your vitamins and minerals on 1200 without supplements. You can do it! But it's not easy and it doesn't leave room for McDonald's, chips, brownies, etc.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    How old are you?

Her profile says she's 20.

OP, what are your stats (height, current weight, goal weight)? 1200 calories may be too low. You may be able to lose weight while eating more calories than that, which would mean that you could fit in vegetables into your plan.

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    FoxyLifter wrote: »
    How old are you?

OP, what are your stats (height, current weight, goal weight)? 1200 calories may be too low. You may be able to lose weight while eating more calories than that, which would mean that you could fit in vegetables into your plan.
    Thanks I'm mobile, it's difficult to get accurate info.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    faji2015 wrote: »
    I basically eat processed or carbs only. I am on 1200 calorie and now I am getting worried about my hairs n skin...when I was not on 1200. I was eating three meals. Serious meals what everybody eats. But, I can't leave my sweey tooth n carb love. I waste my all calories on 2 carb items daily.So, I am not left with any calories to eat proper meals.And then, I starve myself rest of the day. What should I do?

Number of meals is not important for weight loss. Eat in a way that suits you.

Be aware that sense of taste can change. Hyper-processed foods and convenience food has a completely diffrent flavor range than whole, natural, home cooked food. It takes commitment and some time to get accustomed to the more delicate and subtle tones of real food. But you will appreciate it more.

Start somewhere, anywhere. Every little helps. When one habit is established, you'll soon be ready for another. For instance, decide to have breakfast every day, just for one week. Then look at what you should be eating for breakfast. Then make one home cooked dinner per week. Then try two new vegetables every week. Google recipes. You get the idea.
  • faji2015
    Options
    How old are you?

I am 20, 5.5" and weigh 156lbs. I weigh my carbs so I am losing 2lbs per week. Actually, my mother cooks at home. And at college(Hostel) we have cafes so I usually eat processed.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Sit down and pre-log your days to include a balance.
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    How old are you?

I am 20, 5.5" and weigh 156lbs. I weigh my carbs so I am losing 2lbs per week. Actually, my mother cooks at home. And at college(Hostel) we have cafes so I usually eat processed.

2lbs a week is too aggressive. Switch to .5 or 1 lb loss a week. And just experiment with different vegetables. I like salads, steamed broccoli, baby carrots, cucumbers, and zucchini.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    How old are you?

Are you able to workout at your college? If so, do a little exercise each day as this will give you some extra calories each day.
  • tillthefitladysings
    tillthefitladysings Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If your sweet tooth is really very bad, you can hide veggies in smoothies. Put in fruits to make them sweet, but spinach and carrots and such are really yummy in smoothies. My roommate often puts carrots and flavored yogurt in with berries or fruits, and he loves it.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    jaqcan wrote: »
    How old are you?

2lbs a week is too aggressive. Switch to .5 or 1 lb loss a week. And just experiment with different vegetables. I like salads, steamed broccoli, baby carrots, cucumbers, and zucchini.

This.

Try roasting veggies. Roasted asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, brussels sprouts, (fresh) green beans - the possibilities are endless. Experiment with different seasonings.

I can freaking DEMOLISH a pan of roasted broccoli.

There comes a time in everyone's lives when we have to put on our big-girl panties and eat our veggies.
  • catbhn21
    catbhn21 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Sweeten up your vegetables, add whole grains and try for microwave cooking on campus instead of processed meals. Julienne carrots with orange juice and and throw in the microwave. Steam broccoli and eat with dried cherries or cranberries and a whole grain like farro. Target makes grain pouches you can heat up in the microwave with options like farro and quinoa. If you want chips or crackers, eat them with something healthy like a homemade bean dip or hummus. Maybe pick a sweet treat that has some nutrition. I like the Fiber One brownies. I remember Annie's made a brownie mix that you could add yogurt and microwave. If you used Greek yogurt that maybe not too awful. Or just chocolate milk, haha.
  • faji2015
    Options
    Eileen_S wrote: »
    How old are you?

Are you able to workout at your college? If so, do a little exercise each day as this will give you some extra calories each day.

Yes, I walk 5km daily.
  • faji2015
    Options
    catbhn21 wrote: »
    Sweeten up your vegetables, add whole grains and try for microwave cooking on campus instead of processed meals. Julienne carrots with orange juice and and throw in the microwave. Steam broccoli and eat with dried cherries or cranberries and a whole grain like farro. Target makes grain pouches you can heat up in the microwave with options like farro and quinoa. If you want chips or crackers, eat them with something healthy like a homemade bean dip or hummus. Maybe pick a sweet treat that has some nutrition. I like the Fiber One brownies. I remember Annie's made a brownie mix that you could add yogurt and microwave. If you used Greek yogurt that maybe not too awful. Or just chocolate milk, haha.
    If your sweet tooth is really very bad, you can hide veggies in smoothies. Put in fruits to make them sweet, but spinach and carrots and such are really yummy in smoothies. My roommate often puts carrots and flavored yogurt in with berries or fruits, and he loves it.

Nice ideas. Definitely going to try them. :smile: thank you.
  • tillthefitladysings
    tillthefitladysings Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    OH, another good idea for sweet veggies. One month when my cramps were especially awful, my boyfriend made me a potassium-rich dinner that I think you'd like. He made a sweet potato mash, as well as green beans that he had cooked in a pan with some water, honey, and chilli powder. They were sweet and spicy, you might be interested in trying something similar!
    Good luck!
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Put veggies in with your pasta or rice to fill you up with less calories. Pick sweet veggies like carrots, corn or red peppers. Roast them to intensify the flavor, or saute in a little balsamic salad dressing to sweeten them. I also mix quinoa in with my rice (half & half) to boost the protein a little.

Also, add more protein to your diet for your skin & hair. Skin, hair & nails are primarily composed of protein & need protein to stay healthy. Just throw some chicken on top of your beloved carbs ... best of both worlds!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Eileen_S wrote: »
    How old are you?

Yes, I walk 5km daily.

That's barely above sendintary. I would up your activity levels substantially, at least double what you are walking daily to 10K. It's also time to get off of a highly processed diet and into more whole foods. There is nothing wrong with processed foods in moderation but they shouldn't be the majority of your caloric intake or you will find that you are hungry all the time, especially at 1200 calories, which at your weight is likely going to be lower than you need to go.
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I second the idea of roasting veggies. It brings out the sweetness in many of them and is so easy. Just toss them with some olive oil (be sure to measure!), salt and pepper and put in the oven.

Fill 1/2 your plate with roasted veggies, add a protein and a small portion of carb and you have yourself a meal.