Is it possible to make a healthy curry? Recipes please!

Options
lauraxx2015xx
lauraxx2015xx Posts: 29 Member
As curry is my favourite food,I need to avoid take outs at all costs. Recipes would really help me out. Thanks

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Yep, when you marinate in yogurt, choose a 0-1% and lean meats (chicken breast, chicken thigh, seafood) or just beans. Spices are negligible and if you stir in coconut milk, use a lighter version.
    http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-slow-cooker-chicken-tikka-masala-recipes-from-the-kitchn-211284
    And I like I use something like cauliflower rice instead of rice, just because it helps with my hunger.
  • lauraxx2015xx
    Options
    Yep, when you marinate in yogurt, choose a 0-1% and lean meats (chicken breast, chicken thigh, seafood) or just beans. Spices are negligible and if you stir in coconut milk, use a lighter version.
    http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-slow-cooker-chicken-tikka-masala-recipes-from-the-kitchn-211284
    And I like I use something like cauliflower rice instead of rice, just because it helps with my hunger.
    Thanks for the top tip!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Lazy way here... Cut some chicken chunks, pan fry them, sprinkle with curry and a bit of cumin, then add enough sour cream to make a sauce (low fat, fat free, honestly for me in that dish it tastes the same). Let simmer a bit, and serve on rice with whatever veggies you like.

Not gonna lie though, I'm not overly fond of Indian food and I have no idea how it's typically prepared, but a friend made that dish for me 15 years ago and I loved it (made with creme fraiche but you can't find that here, and it was definitely a calorie bomb).
  • lauraxx2015xx
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Lazy way here... Cut some chicken chunks, pan fry them, sprinkle with curry and a bit of cumin, then add enough sour cream to make a sauce (low fat, fat free, honestly for me in that dish it tastes the same). Let simmer a bit, and serve on rice with whatever veggies you like.

Not gonna lie though, I'm not overly fond of Indian food and I have no idea how it's typically prepared, but a friend made that dish for me 15 years ago and I loved it (made with creme fraiche but you can't find that here, and it was definitely a calorie bomb).

Thanks that's a great idea quick & easy to i will love it!
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I make batches of Jamie Oliver's curry pastes and they're pretty amazing. Basically, all the calories in the pastes are in the oil and tomato paste, and a little goes a long way. I've been making the Madras, Vindaloo, Jalfrezi and Tikka Masala for several years. I usually make them with chicken or shrimp.

Invest in the spices, easy to find online if need be.

Jamie Oliver's Easy Curry Pastes
    http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/search/?q=curry paste#R8LbyOjzwFg5RXkZ.97
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Look into Thai curries. I find they usually have more vegetables and less meat (plus delicious seafood options), and the calorie count is usually really good if you don't go crazy with the coconut milk.
  • kristi5224
    kristi5224 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I make a curry dry rub with Madras curry powder, dried ginger, coriander, sea salt, cumin and black pepper. i rub on thin sliced chicken breast and grill it on the bbq. I serve in with chopped papaya mixed with a little fresh raspberry, OMG it is delicious with rice. you get the Curry flavor and the fruit gives it the moisture. I make extra and pack it for lunch.
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Yum!
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    If you're talking about Indian food, homemade Indian food is very healthy as long as you aren't making the few dishes with cream. I make Indian food even more now that I'm counting calories because it's so low calorie and flavorful. "Curry" isn't a specific dish, it just means any dish with a gravy/sauce (as opposed to dry).

Here's my mom's recipe for Punjabi chicken curry (we are Indian):

Brown a lot of diced onions (low heat for a while) in a bit of oil and then puree them using an immersion blender. Then add crushed ginger and garlic and brown all of it together. This is your base, its called masala. Now add chicken pieces and season them with salt, red chili powder, ground cumin, ground coriander powder, and turmeric (no curry powder/paste/anything!!). Add a little tomato paste and a enough water to cover the chicken, bring it to a rapid boil for a few minutes, then let it simmer and cook down for a while. Done! The only really significant calories in it are from the chicken and oil.

Sorry I don't have measurements, I learned by watching my parents cook - but use much more spices, onions etc than you would think, our food is very flavorful so don't be stingy. You'll get the hang of the quantities by cooking it more and tasting while you're cooking
  • stromnessdundee
    stromnessdundee Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It is easy. Just follow the tips above. It is the oil,ghee and coconut milk/cream that add calories- go easy on them. I make veggie dishes and daal all the time with little fat. Try Pinterest for inspiration.
  • UrbanLotus
    Options
    Agreed stromness! Indian food is all about the spices, which are calorie-free :). I don't know why people are obsessed with adding coconut milk, never in my life have I put coconut milk in (north) Indian food lol.

I forgot to mention that you can substitute any protein for chicken. I make rajma (kidney beans) and channa (chickpeas) the same way!
  • UrbanLotus
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    UrbanLotus wrote: »
    Agreed stromness! Indian food is all about the spices, which are calorie-free :). I don't know why people are obsessed with adding coconut milk, never in my life have I put coconut milk in (north) Indian food lol.!

Cause the sauce!!! lol :) also everything is healthy in moderation :) just because your meat cooks in it doesnt mean you have to drink it after ;) Also coconut cream is for more a south indian cooking.

Sorry I think you missed my point - North Indian/Punjabi food does not/should not have coconut milk or cream or whatever in it, that is not how it is made. I don't mean for health reasons. (Source - I'm Punjabi.)
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I had a delicious curry in a restaurant and tried to copy it at home with great results. It was very simple, but huge on flavor because of the amount and combination of fresh vegetables:

2 cups of shredded zucchini
    10 oz package of fresh spinach or kale, chopped
    1 red onion, sliced
    1 bunch of asparagus, chopped
    1 package extra firm tofu (optional)

Sautee vegetables and tofu in a little olive oil. Add 1 can of coconut milk and 2 T of good curry powder. Simmer.

Also, a tip I have learned on coconut milk. I use the full fat version, but if you opt for the light, just buy a can of regular coconut milk and only use half and add a half can of water or stock, because the ingredients in "lite" coconut milk are just coconut milk and water. You can freeze the remaining half of the can for future use. Just make sure to mix the can before using because it does separate.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Agreed stromness! Indian food is all about the spices, which are calorie-free :). I don't know why people are obsessed with adding coconut milk, never in my life have I put coconut milk in (north) Indian food lol.!

Cause the sauce!!! lol :) also everything is healthy in moderation :) just because your meat cooks in it doesnt mean you have to drink it after ;) Also coconut cream is for more a south indian cooking.

Sorry I think you missed my point - North Indian/Punjabi food does not/should not have coconut milk or cream or whatever in it, that is not how it is made. I don't mean for health reasons. (Source - I'm Punjabi.)

OP didn't specify location. In North Indian curry you may not add coconut milk, but it's pretty common in Southeast Asia and even in South America and the Caribbean. That's why I mentioned it.
  • UrbanLotus
    Options
    Lol that's why I specifically said North Indian. Like each and every time I mentioned it.
  • lauraxx2015xx
    Options
    If you're talking about Indian food, homemade Indian food is very healthy as long as you aren't making the few dishes with cream. I make Indian food even more now that I'm counting calories because it's so low calorie and flavorful. "Curry" isn't a specific dish, it just means any dish with a gravy/sauce (as opposed to dry).

Here's my mom's recipe for Punjabi chicken curry (we are Indian):

Brown a lot of diced onions (low heat for a while) in a bit of oil and then puree them using an immersion blender. Then add crushed ginger and garlic and brown all of it together. This is your base, its called masala. Now add chicken pieces and season them with salt, red chili powder, ground cumin, ground coriander powder, and turmeric (no curry powder/paste/anything!!). Add a little tomato paste and a enough water to cover the chicken, bring it to a rapid boil for a few minutes, then let it simmer and cook down for a while. Done! The only really significant calories in it are from the chicken and oil.

Sorry I don't have measurements, I learned by watching my parents cook - but use much more spices, onions etc than you would think, our food is very flavorful so don't be stingy. You'll get the hang of the quantities by cooking it more and tasting while you're cooking
    Thanks will be trying that very soon.
  • UrbanLotus
    Options
    You're welcome, let me know how it turns out!
  • Whiskeytub
    Whiskeytub Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Here's another vote for non-coconut curries. Try this tomato based one from Joy of Cooking - I always add more veggies to it, cabbage, okra, and cauliflower are all good options but you can use whatever you have and is in season.
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/lamb-curry-with-tomato-52555391
  • lauraxx2015xx
    Options
    Thanks for all the brilliant suggestions.
  • lauraxx2015xx
    Options
    You're welcome, let me know how it turns out!

I used similar ingredients today to make lamb Kheema it was lovely, thumbs up from my partner & son.