Is the Whoosh effect a thing?

Options
2»

Replies

• daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I never had a whoosh in four months of dieting, then in the fifth month I had one. It was also the first month I really concentrated on strength training over aerobic. I'm not sure how or why it happened. I prefer the non whoosh way but I take losses any way they come.
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    This happens to me a fair amount. I just lost a little over two pounds yesterday with a "whoosh".
  • 1linde
    1linde Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    If you don't you may be eating back too many calories. I was eating 1600 calories and couldn't understand why not losing. I'm older and may be my metabolism but had to but down to 1200 and less to get the scale to finally move - I only lost 3 lbs in 3 months at 1600 and I have over 50 lbs to lose. My doctor did offer to run some tests but this is working for me now and I am being very compliant in tracking and weighing / measuring food. I am being monitored by my doctor. If you are close to goal it could just be taking you longer to lose the weight. Right now I go about 5 days the same and then down 2 or so pounds.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    It is woo. *laughs and walks away*
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Whoosh is just the statistical tail of "weight loss isn't linear.". It has nothing to do with fat being flushed out of your fat cells or anything else important. Not losing for 2 weeks happens for the same reason as losing 3 pounds in 4 days, which is to say, who the hell knows.
  • wickmclean
    wickmclean Posts: 7 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I don't understand what the actual claim of the "Whoosh Effect" is. I think it is a false rumor. It would seem that the claim is that fat simply disappears from the cell, like a reservoir or a balloon draining, which is not how fat cell metabolism works. Fat cells are made up of fatty acid molecules - if even a few these molecules left the cells from every fat cell during sleep without undergoing lipolysis, an incredibly gruesome death would follow, no matter where they went, be it into the bloodstream or into the body cavity. Likewise, if death were somehow miraculously averted, the water that replaced these fatty acid molecules would have to come from somewhere, and the resulting death from immediate dehydration would be pretty undesirable. I guess if you were brought back from the chemical and dehydration deaths you would die from "whoosh" not having enough fat cells anymore. Finally, fat cells never disappear, which is the most suspicious part of this. Sounds gimmicky but again I don't understand what is being claimed.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    That's how I lost all my weight... no loss for 3 weeks, then a woosh (always the week after my period).
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    OK, if it is not a function of calories in (massive feast) or calories out (massive burn), it is aquired water that was camouflaging a previous loss
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    umayster wrote: »
    OK, if it is not a function of calories in (massive feast) or calories out (massive burn), it is aquired water that was camouflaging a previous loss
    Yeah, probably so. Not sure what else it could be. The fat weight was already gone due to the deficit. It was just being masked until it was no longer being masked.

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    divyatew wrote: »
    @BWBTrish I've been sticking to 1400 for 5 weeks straight without any difference in the scale, however I do not use a food scale. I use measuring cups and spoons. I've also been a vegetarian all my life and have eaten high-carb the entire time. I've lost 15 pounds twice before (only to fall victim to the Freshman and Sophomore 15) and am trying to lose it for the last time! The 1400 is net, I average anywhere from 1600-2000 a week but burn off 400-500 in the gym!

If you dont weigh your food on a food scale then you have no idea how much you really are eating.

Look at this short eye opening video which shows you the difference between weighing and measuring
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

Also a lot of times the calorie intake is under estimated and the calorie burn of exercise over estimated....than think of the fact that you dont have a huge deficit and you eat at maintenance level instead of losing weight you just maintaining weight.

It all doesnt matter if you eat high carb low carb, vegetarian, clean or processed food...its all about having a deficit. which you apperantly have not.

Start weighing your food, create a deficit and you will lose weight :)

good luck, you can do this.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Oh and for the woosh thing...i think it has a lot to do with if you are holding water or not...i know that i lost pretty on schedule till some months ago.. Now ( weight loss is set to half a pound) i lose 2 pounds a month.... twice around the 2 pounds lol
    So no idea why, or what triggers that. But i lose a couple days after each other till about 1 to 1.5 pounds...than for 14 days nothing and i have the same again...result 2 pounds a month so average half a pound a week. Fine by me as long as i lose weight :)
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    wickmclean wrote: »
    I don't understand what the actual claim of the "Whoosh Effect" is. I think it is a false rumor. It would seem that the claim is that fat simply disappears from the cell, like a reservoir or a balloon draining, which is not how fat cell metabolism works. Fat cells are made up of fatty acid molecules - if even a few these molecules left the cells from every fat cell during sleep without undergoing lipolysis, an incredibly gruesome death would follow, no matter where they went, be it into the bloodstream or into the body cavity. Likewise, if death were somehow miraculously averted, the water that replaced these fatty acid molecules would have to come from somewhere, and the resulting death from immediate dehydration would be pretty undesirable. I guess if you were brought back from the chemical and dehydration deaths you would die from "whoosh" not having enough fat cells anymore. Finally, fat cells never disappear, which is the most suspicious part of this. Sounds gimmicky but again I don't understand what is being claimed.
    The claim is that water retention masks the fact that weight loss has occurred.

The whoosh is the loss of water, not fat. The fat has already been lost. Water is acting as a place holder for a while. As you said, fat cells don't disappear but they do flatten out when they aren't holding anything.

Some people are more prone to water retention than others and those are the people more prone to whooshes.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I'm a serial plateau-er, and have had this happen a couple times. Here is what happens for me:
    -I'll eat at a deficit, will gain and lose 2-3 lbs. from week to week, but will continue to hover around the same weight. This is the plateau.
    -After several months (longest was 6 months), I'll start losing a lot of weight very quickly. The whoosh usually takes a few days, so I don't literally wake up with a bunch of weight loss. It is just that I'll lose a few lbs. each day for a few days. Afterwards, I just return to the plateau (hovering around a now lower weight) for the next several months.
  • divyatew
    divyatew Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys :)!
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I whoosh three times a day. It's really invigorating. I strongly recommend it! :smile:
  • Primmalim
    Primmalim Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Man, I haven't had a whoosh yet. I hope it happens soon!
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    divyatew wrote: »
    Thanks guys! What caused the whooshes for you?

I don't agree with the above explanation for the whoosh effect but I have found that my weight loss comes in waves. I will often see the drop on the scale after I've taken one or two rest days from gym and the water retention is coming off. I've also found I tend to alternate a smaller loss with a larger loss every week or so.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I didn't eliminate carbs and my weight loss in the last couple of months of losing went very stairstep. Nothing, nothing, nothing, four pounds gone. Rinse and repeat.

"Stairstep" is a good way to describe it.

I don't know how it works, but I've lost over 100 lbs and only in the very beginning (first few months) was my weight loss somewhat linear. After that, it has gone down in a very stairstep fashion of plateaus of 1-3 weeks and then big drops (not typically overnight, but dropping a lot of weight over the course of several days is typical).

Water retention masking weight loss is part of it because soon before the drop my body feels and looks similar to risen dough, and then I have to pee a lot.
    It seems different to me than water retention around my TOM, intense exercise, or from excess sodium intake. The level of water retention seems more severe, ime.

I wouldn't count on a whoosh if you're experiencing a stall unless you know your tracking of intake and exercise calories are on point.
    If you're relying on volume measurements (cups, spoons) and generic imprecise database entries, and also inputting huge numbers for your exercise calories, and then are not losing, you might be waiting a long long time for a whoosh that may never come or if it does eventually come it'll be a disappointing drop that is not what you would expect from your cico data and your goals.

If you get your tracking as precise as you reasonably can (weight measurements for intake and using correct entries in the database, and inputting conservative/realistic estimates for your exercise burns) then trusting the process and waiting out the stalls will be so much easier to deal with, you won't worry that you're wasting your time by waiting it out because you can trust that what should happen will happen.