Get a Dog

Options
2»

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Glad a puppy helps you, OP. Pets are out of my budget.

Agreed. Plus, I'm away from home a lot during the week.
    Well, why not impregnate someone? Most of the people I know with small children seem to spend a lot of their time running around...probably an even better way to get exercise than a dog!

You win the thread.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I understand the motivation behind the opening post, but no, no thank you. I love dogs and all, but it's out of the question financially and emotionally (it's been nearly 7 years since I had to put my beloved chihuahua to sleep, and I just can't have another dog yet).

I'm glad you found something that works for you, but please remember that what works for you may not work for someone else.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    danequin wrote: »
    If you need motivation to exercise get a dog, I got a puppy in April, needed motivation to walk and he's helped alot. been using my fitness Pal for the last 3 weeks steady and dropped 12 pounds. A dog can give you motivation to walk if you don't really want to.

Or just volunteer at an animal shelter!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Actually I do less exercising with my dogs because they stop every twenty feet to sniff or bark at something
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    True about the toddlers. When my daughters were 1 and 2, respectively, I weight about 100 pounds. And it was effortless. I never sat down for more than a couple of minutes at a time. As for my dog, she is my companion and friend. But I specifically got a dog that did not require too much exercise. As much as I love going out with her, we aren't getting that much exercise when it's 117˚ outside.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Sometimes a dog can make a great exercise buddy. But that should not be the only reason for getting a dog and before doing so a person should give careful consideration to whether their lifestyle will be able to provide for the needs of a dog. Also good to keep in mind that dogs get old a lot faster than people and in 6-10 years, depending on breed give or take depending on breed, you are going to have a pal who can't go out on those long walks and runs anymore.

Pets are great. I think anyone who can make room for one in their life will be glad they did. As long as they are up for the comitmet, time, training and sometimes difficulties and expenses of having them... for life.
  • pointkoala
    pointkoala Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    terrible post! dogs are a serious commitment, to be acquired only after proper consideration and planning. shelters are full of pups bought by some bozo why thought it would fix their health, relationship, security issues, etc.

Agreed. Dogs are animals. If you only get them for exercise, you clearly don't care about them as another being on this earth.
  • danequin
    danequin Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I got the dog, because I wanted a dog, He helps keep me motivated. Helps me get going even if I don't feel like it some times...I take him out for him not for me some times
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Terrible reason to get a dog. If you can't make the effort to exercise on your own then getting a dog will most likely not motivate you. I know plenty of people who did that. Poor dogs don't get the activity they need. Or people get the wrong dog, Pugs are not runners people! Or you get a dog that looks fine but has bad joints, like mine. She wasn't purchased for exercise.
    Then you got people who don't understand dogs in general. Too many stories of dogs having to be carried off trails because their owners thought they were fine because they kept up with them.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    It's great that you can enjoy exercise with your dog.
    A dog might be a good exercise buddy. It might be motivating to get them outside and walk them if you are committed to their well being. If you already want a dog and research types of dogs you might find one that is great for joining you in exercise. Don't just go pick out any dog and expect to lose a bunch of weight walking them. Wanting motivation to walk is not a good argument to get a dog though as they are a huge commitment. Not all dogs are good exercise partners.

My dog loved to walk, run and play like crazy when he was a puppy. He is old now. He is slower. He gets confused or scared more easily. He can't see as well. Still a great friend and family member but has been a poor exercise partner for the last several years.

• jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    My dog won't walk more than 1/2 mile. She'll lay down and refuses to go anymore until I turn back towards home. She's the worst dog for exercising. She will however lay directly on my butt until I get out of bed to feed her, so she's good for something. Or good for nothing. But I love her anyway!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    oh no, such a bad idea :(

If anyone's going to do this, at least get a lazy breed that's not made for real work and relying on energy you hope you'll magic up in the future based on guilt. Stay away from terriers, for one thing.

No this is just a terrible idea all around.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Y so srs. Pretty sure he's just saying that getting a dog has led to him being more active because dogs love to be walked.
    been to a shelter recently? that's why.

Why yes, yes I have.

then you'll know that the world is full of idiots who will read that post and take it as what he said, not what you think he meant. and the shelters are full of their victims.

So many idiots. So many people have big ideas about what great owners they'll be, and in reality, end up letting their pooches stay inside all day and just let them out for five minutes to crap in their reeking yard.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    It's like saying, "have a baby, it'll fix your marriage". Dumb and bad idea.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Get a dog if you want a dog, and have the time to devote to caring for it properly. Getting a dog just to motivate you to exercise is a recipe for disaster. I'd love a dog, but then I remember they poop and I don't like wearing shoes in the backyard.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Get a dog if you want a dog, and have the time to devote to caring for it properly. Getting a dog just to motivate you to exercise is a recipe for disaster. I'd love a dog, but then I remember they poop and I don't like wearing shoes in the backyard.

I stepped on a bee once & got stung because I wasn't wearing any shoes, as I ran across the lawn; to go check my mailbox.
  • Laurafmellor
    Laurafmellor Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Borrow My Doggy is a great site for those that are not in a position to have a dog of their own but love being around dogs. I've been walking Monty since April and not only is he good for the soul, we also do some pretty mega hill walks which he loves (as soon as he sees me he gets very excited!!)

5tixaszdc3hc.jpg