Mashed Potatoes are bad news!

Options
Kinda...I just decided to take my potatoes and instead of quarter and bake them, like I typically do and totally enjoy...and turn them into mashed potatoes, which I also totally love. The problem is that a serving of 75g is like 150cals, and I dont know about you, but I need like 3 servings to feel like its an adequate amount of mashed potatoes...like 1 serving is barely enough to coat the bag of veggies and chicken I'm gonna have with it...

TLDR, just quarter/season/bake your potatoes...mashed are not worth the time, and deff not the calories :P

Replies

• Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I love my mashed potatoes. Mine are not as high calorie, though....maybe find a lower-cal recipe?
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    The problem is not enough gravy with your mashed potatoes...
    :p
    Seriously, I feel you. Are you sure about those calories?
    Maybe try a different recipe.

Your solution is fine, and in time, you will get used to having what you enjoy in proper moderation.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I love mashed potatoes. I put light laughing cow cheese and light sour cream in mine, makes them soooo nice and creamy.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    How does mashing potatoes make them worse than baking?

Do you add milk or butter to the mash? Do you bake then in oil?

See I would have though baked would be worse over mash.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »

I add milk and butter. Just much less than the average person in my family, lol. Or sometimes just salt and sour cream
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Mashed for me!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Kinda...I just decided to take my potatoes and instead of quarter and bake them, like I typically do and totally enjoy...and turn them into mashed potatoes, which I also totally love. The problem is that a serving of 75g is like 150cals, and I dont know about you, but I need like 3 servings to feel like its an adequate amount of mashed potatoes...like 1 serving is barely enough to coat the bag of veggies and chicken I'm gonna have with it...

TLDR, just quarter/season/bake your potatoes...mashed are not worth the time, and deff not the calories :P

Have you tried having just one serving, or even 1.25 servings? Or, knowing you will have mashed potatoes that night, have you tried to save some extra calories for that extra serving? Surely, you really don't have to have 3 servings of mashed potatoes even though that's what you want.

I love my mashed potatoes and will never give them up. I eat both the kind I make and the Idahoan flavored ones, Applewood Bacon being my favorite.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Typically milk or cream are added to the potatoes when cooking. I like Alton Brown's version from his Good Eats show. Higher calorie but oh-so-good.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/creamy-mashed-potatoes-recipe.html

But, I've found the bagged instant stuff is a pretty good substitute that has reasonable calories per serving, and way faster. The "real" mashed I leave for special occasions and potlucks.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    yeap I def. feel you! mashed potatoes, are right next to corn flakes and pasta, the serving size are just sad (for me), so I don't have them as often.
    and yes potatoes of course are potatoes and nothing will substitute them, but cauliflower mash so does it for me *_*
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I like lite sour cream or greek yogurt w chicken stock in mine. Also pair them w a lower calorie meat and veg to round out a higher calorie choice! I also like light butter =)
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    All depends on how much calories allowance in the day.
    If you dont have much..well yes it is difficult maybe..but with some planning you always can get them in.

But as a male with at least a minimum of 1500 calories you can eat and spend the calories mashed potatoes costs. Just some planning
  • HikeCyclist
    HikeCyclist Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Can't read all the responses, as this thread is making me hungry. But...

I usually make mashed cauliflower. Maybe you can mix potatoes & cauliflower to lessen the calorie load? I've also heard of people using parsnips in mashed cauliflower- not sure why, maybe it helps give that mashed potato consistency. Not sure how the cals in parsnips compare to potatoes, though.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »

Typically milk or cream are added to the potatoes when cooking. I like Alton Brown's version from his Good Eats show. Higher calorie but oh-so-good.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/creamy-mashed-potatoes-recipe.html

But, I've found the bagged instant stuff is a pretty good substitute that has reasonable calories per serving, and way faster. The "real" mashed I leave for special occasions and potlucks.

Add milk while cooking?

Have I been mashing potatoes all wrong?

I steam potatoe then chuck them in a bowl with some milk and it butter and then use a potato masher, or a electric egg beater thing.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Can't read all the responses, as this thread is making me hungry. But...

I usually make mashed cauliflower. Maybe you can mix potatoes & cauliflower to lessen the calorie load? I've also heard of people using parsnips in mashed cauliflower- not sure why, maybe it helps give that mashed potato consistency. Not sure how the cals in parsnips compare to potatoes, though.

:o I've never thought to do the mix cauliflower+potatoes. now I'm curious how it would taste. thanks will have to try it soon
  • Wytcher9
    Wytcher9 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Ah, mashed potatoes, I remember you fondly. I've switched to sweet potatoes for better nutritional values. Also, try substituting cauliflower in your mashed "potatoes".
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Options
    I like mashed parsnips...little sweeter than potatoes, a tad less calorie dense, different texture. I mash a lot of stuff...lol
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I like mashed cauliflower. I never liked mashed potatoes anyway. You could do half and half?
  • tillthefitladysings
    tillthefitladysings Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of an outsider here, but I like to mash my potatoes with unsweetened almond milk and some vegan ranch. Fairly low in calories but I think it's delicious. I also like mashed parsnips, or a parsnip-potato mash. :smile: But to each his own! I also love baked or roasted potatoes.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Another mash combo that I think is very tasty is dry roasted seasoned with your fav condiments (we particularly like cajun and smoked paprika) add this to the boiled spud and mash away. The higher water content in the pumpkin usually means there is no need to add in milk, cream etc.