yikes!

Options
What can i do to decrease my appetite. Its out of control. I am eating way to many snacks during the day. For example Today,
my doctor recommend calorie intake is 1800, and I'm 369 lbs/ 5'3''

ok so for breakfast --
it was 322 calories. I had Tomato, Large eggs (2), Turkey Bacon (2), Half and half (2 tbsp), and coffee. plus artificial sweetener.

Lunch --
it was 366
tortilla, pork roast, and pico de gallo

Dinner --
it was 480
whole wheat hamburger bun, 100% beef pattie, tomato, and onion, mustard, and ketchup.

and SNACKS! --
total of 1,572
I had...
sugar free ice cream w/ Hershey sugar free syrup
1/4 cup of mixed nuts
sobe pina colada
sugar free grape drink
rice cakes
coconut oil chews
and sugar free ice cream w/ Hershey sugar free syrup

I have my diary set to public, so you can look and see previous days. but anyways, its been like this for a few days now, and i just cant control my snacking. any thoughts. I was on a diet pill a while ago, but my dr. took me off of it. and i cant afford any other diet pill, too much $$

Replies

• 50andfabu
    50andfabu Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm not expert, but why don't you try eating more at your 3 meals (400 calories for breakfast, 500 for lunch, and 600 for dinner) and then having PLANNED snacks (150 calories each). Many people say protein rich meals help keep them satiated. For me, I used to try all sorts of diets, then I realized, I should just eat what I want and stay within my calorie range.
    Good luck.

• cwilso37
    cwilso37 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    If you cannot have snacks around.... then remove them from the house or just do not repurchase them.

I would echo that it is possible to increase the amount per meal to see if that helps. Are you weighing your foods? It looks like alot of the diary entreies look eyeballed or generic. Not sure what 100% beef patties are... are the 70/30 or 96/4. This changes calories a lot.

More controversial points
    Also is 1800 calories required right now? Why not slowly reduce calories? Your body is used to more than 3k a day (your maintenance level according to http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/). As such why not slowly lower your calories as you get used to it. Start with 2400 a day, at that rate you are still losing a pound a week.Then in two weeks lower it 200 calories or so.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I agree with questioning if your calorie level needs to be that low. I also agree with increasing meals. Depending on when you like to eat, have the bulk of your calories at that meal, maybe. I used to eat at night....so I'd save a ton of calories for night. But i realized that if i eat a higher-calorie breakfast, like 500 calories, and a higher-calorie dinner (another 500, give or take), i don't snack all night, i have enough calories for a light lunch of about 300 calories, and then i can still have two 100-calorie snacks.

There are a ton of low-calorie options, like the Greek yogurt cups, bananas, apples, really most fruits and veggies....outshine makes fruit and veggie popsicles that are only 60 calories, sugar-free jello is only 40 calories, low-cal pudding cups, single-serving bags of chips if you crave them...

You can cut calories by not drinking your calories, too, since liquid calories don't really fill you up but add calories anyway. Veggies and lean protein can keep you full for awhile thanks to the fiber in the veggies and the properties of digesting protein.

If you are unable to control snacking, it might be a good idea to remove the temptations from the house until you can learn moderation. I had to do that personally, but some people can just immediately moderate. You could also take a walk anytime you feel the urge to snack but aren't really hungry or it's close to a meal time.

I think the best idea would be to eat more at meals if you don't want to be an all-day grazer. Everyone is different and it can take time to find a way of eating that works for you to help you lose weight. Good luck!
  • BirdyWeirdy77
    BirdyWeirdy77 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys
  • BirdyWeirdy77
    Options
    cwilso37 wrote: »
    If you cannot have snacks around.... then remove them from the house or just do not repurchase them.

I would echo that it is possible to increase the amount per meal to see if that helps. Are you weighing your foods? It looks like alot of the diary entreies look eyeballed or generic. Not sure what 100% beef patties are... are the 70/30 or 96/4. This changes calories a lot.

Also is 1800 calories required right now? Why not slowly reduce calories? Your body is used to more than 3k a day (your maintenance level according to http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/). As such why not slowly lower your calories as you get used to it. Start with 2400 a day, at that rate you are still losing a pound a week.Then in two weeks lower it 200 calories or so.

Yes I do guess most of the time because I can't find the brand name
  • BirdyWeirdy77
    Options
    cwilso37 wrote: »

Yes I do guess most of the time because I can't find the brand name

Yes my doctor said I should do 1800 cal a day if I can handle it...I was good for so long, exept the last few days I have been eating like crazy.
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    What works for me: I eliminate sugar and refined carbohydrates; also I never use artificial sweeteners, which can trigger reactions similar to sugar and cause cravings.

I eat no more than 30 grams of carbs at any meal and no more than 90 carbs a day. I always eat protein and carbs together. I make sure I get sufficient fiber, 24 - 30 grams a day. These measures have removed hunger and cravings. Also, eating sufficient protein and fat helps me feel satisfied and keeping carbs even throughout the day and on the lower side keeps my blood sugar levels stable so I don't get hungry constantly.

I don't think your calories are too high, since your weight is on the high side right now. As you lose weight you can decrease your calories but right now 1800 sounds good. Try eliminating sugar and processed carbs and see how you feel. Best of luck!