New momma and exclusively pumping

Options
Samoora92
Samoora92 Posts: 34 Member
Hello fellow MFP peeps. I am a first time mom! My son is about to be 5 months old and im ready to get back on the bandwagon. I would like to lose the remainder 10lbs that i gained during pregnancy and another 30. Does anyone have some recommendations? I exclusively pump and plan to do so until he is a year so i dont want to do ANYTHING that will hinder my supply. i also need to be realistic bc i exclusively pump, work and am a new mom. Any suggestions, words of encouragement, new friends who are in the same boat would be great.

Thanks!!

Replies

• waskojenn
    waskojenn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow Mom! I just had my third son 8 wks ago, and I am BF exclusively but need to get my weight down all while not harming my supply. I plan on taking it slowly with healthier choices, lots of water, and getting more active progressively month to month. But if you have suggestions I would love to hear from you! I just met with a nutritionist and ready to get my confidence back and give my boys a Mama who's ready to play with them as much as possible.
  • Samoora92
    Samoora92 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You are better than me. Lol little one is about to be 5 months. How is bf going for you?
  • magban
    magban Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My little girl is 6 weeks in combination feeding mainly breast feeding but with a odd bottle of formula as well. I have 2 stone to loose
  • cassie241986
    cassie241986 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello! I just had my 2nd baby a month ago today. Add me of you would like, I need active friends and motivation. We can do this :smile:
  • MotivatedMother2015
    MotivatedMother2015 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I exclusively pumped until my daughter was 13 months and it is hard work!!!! lol It is totally worth it though I really hope you make it to your 1 year goal! Good Luck!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Pumping is pretty much the same as breastfeeding, as far as calories go. IIRC, it's about 20 calories per ounce. You can log it as a negative calorie food :smiley: Set a reasonable deficit (40 pounds to go -> about 1 pound per week) and don't go too far under the calories it gives you. And make sure you drink plenty of water!!

My baby is 10 months old this week and we're still breastfeeding. I'm at the point where I'm no longer logging the breastfeeding, but letting that create my deficit. I know that, by 5 months, your supply is pretty well established, so it should be okay to have a 1 pound a week deficit, but do listen to your body, and eat a bit more if you feel like you need to. And, of course, make sure that most of what you eat is nutrient-rich! (I also still take a women's multivitamin - the same one I took during pregnancy instead of prescription prenatal; I think it's still important)

You can do it! The weight may come off easily, or it may be slower than you expect. Our bodies are funny that way, especially when we are lactating. But it's totally worth it for your little one to keep pumping and to make sure he's getting quality milk!
  • captgalactic
    captgalactic Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have a 6 month old and am breastfeeding her. I am also a working mom, so I understand trying to balance it all can be challenging. I also have a 2 year old. When he was about 9 months, I really started working at the weight loss, and the pounds melted off (like 10+ lbs per month), but I also had supply issues. It got to the point where I couldn't pump enough. I think part of the problem was that the dietitian I had at the time told me I didn't need to eat the BF calories because my body could make the milk from my stored fat. So, this time around, I have a new dietitian and we put in the 1lb a week calories and then added 400 calories for breastfeeding. It is coming off much more slowly this time, but it is coming off at 1lb a week! My best piece of advice from my current dietitian, is try something, if it affects your supply, switch back. Also, drink lots of water!
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    If you're going to try losing weight through eating at a deficit while breastfeeding, please consult a nutritionist or your OB first.