I have thyroid problem and I dont loose weight

Hi my name is Mayra and I have thyroid problem and I had try different type of exercise diet and nothing had work for me ¿ What can I do in my case ? I really wanna loose weight. Please advice

Replies

• SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    I am guessing Hypothyroidism? Have you seen the doctor and got your dosage right? The correct dosage can really make a difference to progress. I also suffer and whilst it can be slightly more difficult to lose due to a more sluggish metabolism, it is certainly not impossible. You just have to work harder and be very consistent over a longer time. Even with hypothyroidism, the science still relates, it still is calories in, calories out, I just find it's a few less calories in and a few more calories out, haha! Such is life, eh, could be a lot worse!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    If you are not on the right meds, get back to your dr until you figure it out. It might take some time to find the right dosage. Other than this, you lose weight like everyone else: eat less, move more. Out of control unmedicated hypothyroidism might cause a few extra kilos, provided there are also other symptoms (like no energy to do anything), but once you fix the energy issue and can do normal activities, you can lose weight, do not worry.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    mayraj602 wrote: »
    I have thyroid problem and I had try different type of exercise diet and nothing had work for me ¿ What can I do in my case ?

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease). Thyroid meds (in my case, Synthroid & Cytomel) reduce the fatigue so I can be more active. But I still kept gaining until I learned to log everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly. Logging works.

I lost the weight long before my thyroid levels ever entered the "normal" range by following the advice in the Sexypants post: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    I have thyroid problem and I had try different type of exercise diet and nothing had work for me ¿ What can I do in my case ?

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease). Thyroid meds (in my case, Synthroid & Cytomel) reduce the fatigue so I can be more active. But I still kept gaining until I learned to log everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly. Logging works.

I lost the weight long before my thyroid levels ever entered the "normal" range by following the advice in the Sexypants post: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

This is all great advice.
  • christabelle66
    christabelle66 Posts: 83 Member
    I am surgically hypothyroid and although I have to work hard to lose weight, it is not impossible, just slower. Are you taking your thyroid medication an hour before any other food or medications and/or four hours afterwards? are you taking other supplements (such or iron tablets) or eating foods (soy, raw cruciferous vegetables ) that could be impeding absorption of your thyroid meds? I take it as soon as I get up and set a timer to remind me not to eat or drink anything other than water for a full hour after I take my pills. I need to take my iron tablet at least 4-6 hours after the thyroid medication. I found that a combination of cardio (I mostly walk but also run) 3 to five days a week and weight training 2 to 3 days a week is the most effective to wake up my metabolism.
  • mayraj602
    mayraj602 Posts: 4 Member
    I am surgically hypothyroid and although I have to work hard to lose weight, it is not impossible, just slower. Are you taking your thyroid medication an hour before any other food or medications and/or four hours afterwards? are you taking other supplements (such or iron tablets) or eating foods (soy, raw cruciferous vegetables ) that could be impeding absorption of your thyroid meds? I take it as soon as I get up and set a timer to remind me not to eat or drink anything other than water for a full hour after I take my pills. I need to take my iron tablet at least 4-6 hours after the thyroid medication. I found that a combination of cardio (I mostly walk but also run) 3 to five days a week and weight training 2 to 3 days a week is the most effective to wake up my metabolism.

• mayraj602
    mayraj602 Posts: 4 Member
    I'm taking my meds but honestly I hardly ever take before I eat I always forget , and about nutrition I'm not info on what's good to eat and what's not . thank you for your helpfull
  • StaceyWhatsit
    StaceyWhatsit Posts: 24 Member
    Hi, I'm hypothyroid and I struggle to lose weight, the first 10 kilos I dropped just by logging my food intake and not going over my daily calorie allowance but now I can't have over 1000 calories or I stop losing and just maintain or gain weight. I talked to my doctor but he wasn't concerned and didn't test my thyroid function which I was hoping would show I needed an increase in medication. He just said to drink plenty of fluids. Its hard and frustrating at times but stay strong, you'll get there in the end!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    I'm taking my meds but honestly I hardly ever take before I eat I always forget , and about nutrition I'm not info on what's good to eat and what's not .

Synthroid & Cytomel should be taken with water on an empty stomach—at least 2 hours after eating and 4 hours after taking any supplements (vitamins, fiber, etc.). Wait 30–60 minutes before eating or drinking anything but water.

Following these guidelines will help your body absorb the medicine. As for food, how much you eat is much more important than what you eat. You lose weight by eating fewer calories than you burn—period.

Learn to log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Logging works.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,721 Member
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    Synthroid & Cytomel should be taken with water on an empty stomach—at least 2 hours after eating and 4 hours after taking any supplements (vitamins, fiber, etc.). Wait 30–60 minutes before eating or drinking anything but water.

Following these guidelines will help your body absorb the medicine. As for food, how much you eat is much more important than what you eat. You lose weight by eating fewer calories than you burn—period.

Learn to log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Logging works.

Yes, this. And if it isn't working, see your doctor.

I'm hypothyroid (for a decade now), on 175mcg of Levothyroxine (Synthroid), religious about taking it correctly. I'm also 59 years old, and waaay menopausal. I'm not having any trouble losing weight through calorie restriction - down 34 pounds since mid-April of this year.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    From a fellow hypo ....
    1. Make sure you're on the right meds/dosage. Your synthroid/levoxyl/T4 takes about 8 weeks to be at its max dosage in your blood. It's an accumulative drug. Cytomel (T3) is a fast acting drug--in and out in 24 hours.
    2. Make sure you know your numbers. For your TSH, don't let them just tell you you're in the normal range. Ask them what it is and what range your lab/doc use to define "normal." Many are still using a TSH of 5 as the threshold, even though it was lowered by the American Association of Clinical Endicrinologists 10 years ago.
    3. Free T3 and Free T4 are important as the body is supposed to convert T4 into T3, but some of us suck at it. Hence the cytomel.
    4. You need to be consistent with taking your meds and take them as directed. You're not helping your condition by forgetting to take them. You won't know if you're on the right dosage and feeling better if you're not taking them correctly.
    5. Wait AT LEAST one hour, preferably 2 before eating. Avoid calcium, iron for at least four hours after taking meds. Antacids can really limit absorption, take them as far away from your thyroid meds as possible. I take my meds at my 3-4am pee break. (I drink a lot of green tea.) And I eat breakfast after I get to the office at 8am.

It is possible to lose weight--I lost about 85-ish pounds and weigh less now than before I was diagnosed. It takes time and patience. If weight loss is more like a marathon than a sprint, for us it's more like an Iron Man.
  • tabl_23
    tabl_23 Posts: 46 Member
    Hi my name is Mayra and I have thyroid problem and I had try different type of exercise diet and nothing had work for me ¿ What can I do in my case ? I really wanna loose weight. Please advice

Hello Myra,
    I was also diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I was put on medication (which didn't seem to help at all). I know some people get really irate when I tell them how I "fixed" the problem. But I am going to share it with you anyway. Honestly, I was 45 lbs overweight and take my thyroid meds every single day. I changed my diet. I ate clean food....and ONLY clean food. 3 months later I had my blood checked again and my thyroid levels were normal. Been off my medication ever since and feel great. This has just been my experience. Good luck to ya!