Don't waste your time with your exercising

Options
Make sure you make the most of the time you have for training.

I see individuals aiming for fat loss and also trainers spending far too much time with their clients doing exercises that aren't going to benefit you as much as others will.

A lot of people think doing bicep curls, crunches and tricep extensions is going to get them looking incredible.

This is only going to work the muscles you engage, which will burn calories to aid with fat loss, but you could burn a lot more by doing bigger movements.

Try these four exercises in your routine and you'll get a lot more bang for your buck.

Chest press / press ups
Squats
Dead lifts
Over head press

Take my word for it, if you have no injuries, the above routine will be a lot more effective than bicep curls and crunches.

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Sangsterr wrote: »
    Make sure you make the most of the time you have for training.

I see individuals aiming for fat loss and also trainers spending far too much time with their clients doing exercises that aren't going to benefit you as much as others will.

A lot of people think doing bicep curls, crunches and tricep extensions is going to get them looking incredible.

This is only going to work the muscles you engage, which will burn calories to aid with fat loss, but you could burn a lot more by doing bigger movements.

Try these four exercises in your routine and you'll get a lot more bang for your buck.

Chest press / press ups
    Squats
    Dead lifts
    Over head press

Take my word for it, if you have no injuries, the above routine will be a lot more effective than bicep curls and crunches.

Yep, dd some rows in there and you have Stronglifts.
  • Sangsterr
    Sangsterr Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm aiming this at people that have the perception that isolation exercises on small muscles is the best route for fat loss
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    This is the first time I have ever seen compound lifts advertised for their calorie burning properties...
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    This is the first time I have ever seen compound lifts advertised for their calorie burning properties...

Really? That's really surprising because if you do a quick search online, every article says the same thing.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I'll add that progression is key as well. I see so many people at the gym plugging away at the gym doing the same weight and reps week in and week out. I'd actually recommend a structured program such as strong lifts, starting strength, ice cream fitness, or new rules of lifting.

If people don't have access to a gym or weights, you are your own gym and convict conditioning both are full body progressive resistance programs using body weight.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    DR2501 wrote: »

Really? That's really surprising because if you do a quick search online, every article says the same thing.

No, I don't believe that is the case, at least not if you're reading any reliable source. Strength/weight training itself is not known for burning alot of calories. Which, I suppose, would not stop some writers from saying it did. More calories burned than sitting on your butt, but less than any cardio exercise.
  • DR2501
    Options
    Sorry, I just meant that it's surprising that the person hadn't read it anywhere else, I wasn't commenting on the accuracy of the statement :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

You must be reading some really poor articles!
    Do compound lifts for all sorts of good reasons but calorie burning isn't one of them.

Agree with the OP that I see far too many people wasting their gym time doing excessive amounts of isolation exercises (compared with a well thought out routine majoring in compound lifts) but not sure why fat loss is being made the major driver - that comes primarily from your calorie deficit.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Holy strawman! I've never heard anyone recommend bicep curls to burn fat.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Great advice. Here is what I do...
    f8op0z3w0zbw.png
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »

Agree. But I have also never heard anyone seriously recommend deadlifts or bench presses to burn calories!
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »

He's talking about overall effectiveness and long-term fat burn.
    Compound movements in strength training are better than isolation exercises.

Most new to strength training may not know this.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I too like following a program like strong lifts , its just my preference anyway .
  • Sangsterr
    Options
    I'm not saying it's the primary source of fat loss, calorie deficits are. Having those exercises along with a calorie deficit is a highly effective way.

It's not the holy grail of fat loss, but it's solid advice for people that don't know where to start.
  • DR2501
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

You must be reading some really poor articles!
    Do compound lifts for all sorts of good reasons but calorie burning isn't one of them.

Agree with the OP that I see far too many people wasting their gym time doing excessive amounts of isolation exercises (compared with a well thought out routine majoring in compond lifts) but not sure why fat loss is being made the major driver - that comes primarily from your calorie deficit.

I just read lots of fitness articles on different topics (mainly fat loss), and its a common theme in all of them. Although again I will point out my surprise was that that particular poster had never read this before, rather than being a comment on the SUBSTANCE of the post:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/strength_train_fat_loss.htm
    "Strength training, however, can burn just as much, if not more, fat than cardio."

http://www.bodyworkslifestyle.com/compound-training-the-key-to-fat-loss/
    Compound Training – The Key to Fat Loss

http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/fat-burning-1

etc etc. - those were just the first 3 hits on google when you type in 'compound exercises fat loss'

Again, I'm not commenting on the validity of that statement, I'm just surprised that people have never heard of it being touted around as its everywhere. And in fairness, people here seem to assume that the statement means during the workout, when it probably also refers to the effect on your metabolism afterwards.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Options
    I'm not saying it's the primary source of fat loss, calorie deficits are. Having those exercises along with a calorie deficit is a highly effective way.

It's not the holy grail of fat loss, but it's solid advice for people that don't know where to start.
    It's the whole package.
    To become the best version of myself, I need to eat and train smart.
    If anybody invests time in the gym, why not engage the very training that will produce the best results?

• sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I just meant that it's surprising that the person hadn't read it anywhere else, I wasn't commenting on the accuracy of the statement :)

Ah. Well, yeah, that's probably true :) There are some magazines (for women) that come to mind that probably say it all the time.
  • Sangsterr
    Options

It's the whole package.
    To become the best version of myself, I need to eat and train smart.
    If anybody invests time in the gym, why not engage the very training that will produce the best results?

Exactly, the majority of people I train are really restrained for time.

I think it goes for most people, why wouldn't you want to make the most of your time in the gym/working out at home?
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options

Deadlifts done in quick sets are like sprints

If you have a heart rate monitor check it out

You can get in anaerobic zone quickly

Mix that in with jumping jacks and you have a killer bit of circuit training