Counting calories around family

Options
124»

Replies

• amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Be sure to eat when you are around the family, just make sure your portions are smaller and you really watch what you are eating. Be sure to contribute a healthy option so you can eat more of that if there isn't much else to choose from. My family comments often on my food choices at gatherings... I just keep on moving on and know that I'm making the right decisions. it is hard too b/c nearly everyone in my family is overweight.
  • jenmckane86
    jenmckane86 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My family is exactly like this. Twice a week we have dinner with the in-laws. One night with my family, the other night with my husband's family. My family is pretty good about helping me out along the way, but my mother-in-law is truly a challenge. She makes enough food for 50 people, and it's always really rich, yummy food. She also gets really offended if you don't eat that much. On top of that, she sends my husband home with enough food to last the week. Annoying to say the least. I tried bringing food with me one time, and that didn't go over very well. Now, I just eat the smallest portions I can when I am over there. It offends her, but honestly I don't care anymore. I don't have time for someone trying to knock me down all the time. I work too hard throughout the week to have that get me.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    0067808 wrote: »
    tincanonastring gets my vote - absolutely priceless. Ever thought about writing a book? I'd buy it.......

I've considered it, but ultimately decided that wallowing in the drudgery of white-collar middle management would be far more rewarding than life as a famous author.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    rhyolite_ wrote: »
    I am someone that has always liked a large plate of veggies or a salad. I don't really like filling up my plate with the potatoes/pastas that tend to come with family functions. I used to scoop some on my plate and eat it, even though I didn't want to, just because of the social aspect of the situation. Once I decided to start losing weight, I realized I wasn't going to waste my calories on any food I didn't want. So when I was first questioned, "Why are you only eating vegetables?" / "Why didn't you get any potato salad?" / "Why are you trying to lose weight? No one likes a stick", etc., I just told people that I was eating what I wanted to eat. Period. If you're not eating what you want to eat, it may be worth banking up some calories before a special event so that you can eat what you want to eat.

I have had perfectly well-meaning family members make me feel really uncomfortable by discussing my weight (i.e., "You don't need to get any smaller") or my food choices. I do like to respond sometimes, "What makes you think I'm on a diet or trying to lose weight?" When they tell me that I'm eating "diet food" or not eating enough, I tell them I'm eating what I want and I don't know where they got the idea that I'm trying to lose weight. It's none of their business.

Also, OP - this is completely unrelated. But your profile pic of Kristen Wiig is the same picture my brother-in-law has framed over his toilet. To amuse house guests.

Yep. I mean it's hard enough to get to the point where hunger isn't burning a hole in your stomach and you can actually do this deficit thing, but now you have to worry about other people's feelings regarding your food choices, too? I mean, it's one meal - what could possibly go wrong if you're not stuffing your face this one time??

I actually posted earlier that I found it strange that people were asking/telling the OP to just eat the food when she's looking for tips to not have to deal with the same. I'm the only one who finds that odd?