Sweet potato replacement

Options
Hey guys, I'm starting a cutting plan and I need to find a replacement for sweet potatoes. I just cannot stomach them! Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    What about sweet potatoes do you want to replace? Calories? micros? Why do you need to replace them at all?
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Most obvious replacement would be a white potatoe.

Why however are you needing to cut them from your diet if you can't stomach them? How did they get in your diet in the first place? Why eat something that you don't like?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    Most obvious replacement would be a white potatoe.

Why however are you needing to cut them from your diet if you can't stomach them? How did they get in your diet in the first place? Why eat something that you don't like?

This. Are you trying to follow a specific eating plan?
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Butternut squash maybe. You can steam it or bake it in wedges. Very tasty and nutritious and low in calories.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Is that the same meal plan every day? Gosh!

Nutritionally, ordinary white or russet potatoes are pretty similar to sweet pots.
  • damndanielle21
    damndanielle21 Posts: 17 Member
    Options

Nutritionally, ordinary white or russet potatoes are pretty similar to sweet pots.
    Yes! It's going to be tough but I am serious about cutting. Thanks for the advice!

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    No reason to follow that cutting plan specifically. Enter your stats into MFP, log your food accurately, stay within your calorie goal. It's not that complex. If I had to eat the same thing every day, it would be miserable. And as you've seen, there's a problem when you don't like a particular item. That's one of the joys of being flexible.

If you really do want to stick with that same meal plan, sub white potatoes. They have a very similar macro breakdown. But, you are likely going to be missing some micronutrients since you won't be eating a varied diet overall.
  • damndanielle21
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    No reason to follow that cutting plan specifically. Enter your stats into MFP, log your food accurately, stay within your calorie goal. It's not that complex. If I had to eat the same thing every day, it would be miserable. And as you've seen, there's a problem when you don't like a particular item. That's one of the joys of being flexible.

If you really do want to stick with that same meal plan, sub white potatoes. They have a very similar macro breakdown. But, you are likely going to be missing some micronutrients since you won't be eating a varied diet overall.
    I'll try this for 4 weeks and if I see the results I'm looking for then I'll be continuing on with it. I want to be down 30 pounds.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    You want to lose 30lbs in 4 weeks?
  • nicoleromine
    nicoleromine Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I would also caution following a set meal plan like that. It looks like that plan would end up with you eating 1100-1200 calories a day. I would feel like crap eating like that (due to food quantity and quality), especially following that exercise plan.
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    This has to be a quick fix regime because someone would need to be super-human to put up with it for months - the very thought of 'peanut butter' makes me heave lol
  • damndanielle21
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    You want to lose 30lbs in 4 weeks?
    No... In total.
  • damndanielle21
    Options
    I would also caution following a set meal plan like that. It looks like that plan would end up with you eating 1100-1200 calories a day. I would feel like crap eating like that (due to food quantity and quality), especially following that exercise plan.
    Not doing that workout plan. Just the meal plan.
  • damndanielle21
    Options
    suziecue20 wrote: »
    This has to be a quick fix regime because someone would need to be super-human to put up with it for months - the very thought of 'peanut butter' makes me heave lol

I've been searching for the perfect cutting meal plan that fits my needs for weeks. This is perfect for me, minus the sweet potato.
  • nicoleromine
    nicoleromine Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    For me, the perfect "cutting meal plan" was eating food I liked under my calorie goal (which after exercise was somewhere between 1800 and 2000 calories a day). I lost 65 pounds that way, and I've kept it off. Good luck, though.
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options

Yes! It's going to be tough but I am serious about cutting. Thanks for the advice!

If you're serious about cutting, you should find a better plan, one that you can stick to without going to the forums to start making exceptions before you even start.

Have you thought about simply using MFP's basic concept of eating whatever you want but within a calculated calorie budget?
  • damndanielle21
    Options
    wonko221 wrote: »

If you're serious about cutting, you should find a better plan, one that you can stick to without going to the forums to start making exceptions before you even start.

Have you thought about simply using MFP's basic concept of eating whatever you want but within a calculated calorie budget?
    You know what I don't recall asking for? Rude comments. If you don't have a suggestion for a replacement for sweet potatoes then go away! I didn't ask for advice on my meal plan, just a replacement option! This is what fits my budget so please go away.

• damndanielle21
    Options
    For me, the perfect "cutting meal plan" was eating food I liked under my calorie goal (which after exercise was somewhere between 1800 and 2000 calories a day). I lost 65 pounds that way, and I've kept it off. Good luck, though.
    I'm sorry that I'm not perfect and need a little help. Oops. Annoying! Please go away if you don't have a replacement suggestion for sweet potato.