Couch to 5k

Options
Hey all,

I recently started the Couch to 5k program since I am trying to get healthy, and I have always wanted to do the Color Run. I am overweight and out of shape, and this program is kicking my butt! I am really dedicated to following through with this, so I'm not about to give up, but I am feeling discouraged. Judging by how I feel after the workouts now, I don't ever see how I'll be able to run a 5k.

Has anyone else tried this program? Did you have success? What helped you along the way? Any other beginner runners out there with inspiration to share?

Thanks for the support. :)

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I am doing C210K. I hate running. Just started week 10 this morning. I'm already doing stuff that seemed borderline impossible 10 weeks and a day ago.

Just give it time. Don't worry about runs you haven't worked up to yet. Don't be afraid to repeat a workout or a week if you think you need to.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I did it and succeeded. Running slow enough in the "run" intervals was key for me. It's more important to complete them than be fast, speed comes later.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    W6D1 for me was today.

Which one are you following?
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    When i first started Running, i couldn't even run for 90 seconds straight!
    Then i realised i was running too fast.
    I slowed down my pace a lot, watched a few youtube video's on how to breathe properly and now i'm running for 9-10 mins without stopping.
    I've still got a way to go before reaching 5K, but i was just like you in the beginning.
    Maybe all you need to do is slow down your pace.
  • LoBaas
    LoBaas Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement. :)

I'm using the C25K app by ZenLabs on my iPhone. It has a "coach" that interrupts my music and tells me when to run/walk, which is great.

I'm on W2D1, but I just realized I'm not spacing out the workouts properly. Last week I did week 1 days 1,2,3 consecutively, and then took Sunday off before starting week 2 today. But I noticed each week only has three workouts, and I was planning on running 6 days a week. I guess from now on I'll just do each day twice and then take one day off before starting the next week.
  • MoonCatKDT
    MoonCatKDT Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the C25K and I just did my first 5K (which was actually a color run!) yesterday. The biggest thing I found is that running on the treadmill is VERY different than running outside. I wish I had started the c25k outside rather than on the treadmill. Breathing is also a big thing. I'm also overweight (obese if you want to follow BMI) and I did it no issue.

The nice thing about the color runs is that many of them aren't timed 5Ks and a good amount of people run them in intervals or walk them.
  • WBB55
    Options
    LoBaas wrote: »

I'm using the C25K app by ZenLabs on my iPhone. It has a "coach" that interrupts my music and tells me when to run/walk, which is great.

I'm on W2D1, but I just realized I'm not spacing out the workouts properly. Last week I did week 1 days 1,2,3 consecutively, and then took Sunday off before starting week 2 today. But I noticed each week only has three workouts, and I was planning on running 6 days a week. I guess from now on I'll just do each day twice and then take one day off before starting the next week.

I'd recommend not running two days in a row right now. If you're new to running, your muscles, joints, tendons, etc. need time to rest and repair themselves.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

Many, many, many recommendations say to stick with the 3 day a week structure to give yourself time to recover.

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I guess from now on I'll just do each day twice and then take one day off before starting the next week.

Follow the programme. Every other day runs.
  • LoBaas
    Options
    I suppose I should add that I have been running outside (I use the term "running" loosely, lol). One lap around my community is a half mile, and I have been doing four laps for a total of two miles.

When I began this journey, I invested in my first-ever pair of real running shoes: Nike Air Pegasus. But my feet have been in an abnormal amount of pain. After lots of research and self evaluation as well as a few minutes on the Dr. Scholl's machine, I have discovered that I have low arches and high foot pressure. I overpronate terribly, and the expensive shoes I invested in are the wrong ones for me.

I'm going to give barefoot running a try (which seems ambitious, or even crazy, probably), and I am waiting for my Amuri Cloud sandals to come in the mail.
  • JeanMBK
    JeanMBK Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    I guess from now on I'll just do each day twice and then take one day off before starting the next week.

Follow the programme. Every other day runs.

agree
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    space out your workouts and maybe just do a brisk walk if you want.
    I did the 5k with zenlabs and started the 10k version last week.
    I was not a runner and I like the challenge of doing something I didn't think I could do before

edit:
    shoes, get properly fitted, imo. it is often free for a visual assessment. the right shoes prevents injury
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I suppose I should add that I have been running outside (I use the term "running" loosely, lol). One lap around my community is a half mile, and I have been doing four laps for a total of two miles.

When I began this journey, I invested in my first-ever pair of real running shoes: Nike Air Pegasus. But my feet have been in an abnormal amount of pain. After lots of research and self evaluation as well as a few minutes on the Dr. Scholl's machine, I have discovered that I have low arches and high foot pressure. I overpronate terribly, and the expensive shoes I invested in are the wrong ones for me.

I'm going to give barefoot running a try (which seems ambitious, or even crazy, probably), and I am waiting for my Amuri Cloud sandals to come in the mail.

Barefoot running won't be any better. If you have high arches, you're just going to make your feet hurt worse. You might try getting some insoles for your current shoes to hold you over until your new ones come in.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I did my first official 5k Saturda, but regularly run more than 5k. Every time I run, I'm astonished that I'm able to. frankly, I'm prouder of that than losing 75 pounds. Stick with it.
  • LoBaas
    Options
    So if the workouts are only intended to be three days per week, what is the recommended schedule? Run, off, run, off, run, 2 off? Are you supposed to do nothing the other four days per week, or should I walk or swim in between?
  • WBB55
    Options
    You don't HAVE to do anything on the rest days. You can just rest (I myself walk, ride my bike, and roller skate)
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    I walk.

I'd just been replacing part of my morning walk with the running. I'm to the point where my run needs a longer route, so it's completely replacing the walk three times a week, but I still do the walking route the other four days.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    do whatever you'd like
    I've done 1mile run-as opposed to my now 6 mi, otherwise: walk, yoga, zumba, swimming, hiking, nothing at all
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Are you supposed to do nothing the other four days per week, or should I walk or swim in between?

The other 3 days i weight train w/some Cardio and the 4th day i have a rest.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    So if the workouts are only intended to be three days per week, what is the recommended schedule? Run, off, run, off, run, 2 off? Are you supposed to do nothing the other four days per week, or should I walk or swim in between?

You can certainly work out on the off days if you want, but choose something lower-impact to give your muscles time to recover. Strength training focusing on your upper body, swimming, a long walk if you want, but they suggest those recovery days for a reason. If you push yourself too hard too fast it's a recipe for pain and possibly longer-term injury. You want to be able to keep running, and the best way is to build up slowly and not throw yourself in the deep end.

Also, if you're finding a certain week or day of the C25K program too challenging, you can always repeat that day as necessary until you feel ready to go on. Some people need more time to build up to it and that's normal and fine and better than quitting all together or hurting yourself or just hating it.