Mashed Potatoes are bad news!

Options

Replies

• swift13b
    swift13b Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I was actually pleasantly surprised at how much mashed potato I could eat for the calories. Granted I made mine with almond milk and no butter/margarine. I also enjoy adding in some cauliflower, personally I don't really notice a difference in taste/texture.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I love mash.
    I just have to accept a) I can't eat as much as my heart wants to - which is all of the available servings or b) I need to balance out the calories elsewhere if I want a big heap, which in a weird way I actually find quite satisfying.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Because of this thread, I now have potatoes simmering.
  • 29_adjacent
    29_adjacent Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Mashed potatoes are always worth it.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    swift13b wrote: »
    I was actually pleasantly surprised at how much mashed potato I could eat for the calories. Granted I made mine with almond milk and no butter/margarine. I also enjoy adding in some cauliflower, personally I don't really notice a difference in taste/texture.

Me too, even when made with real butter (rare) or margarine (more common). Made me so happy because mashed potato is really really high on my list of awesome foods.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    We have mashed potatoes about 3 times a week because they are delicious. My daily cals are only 1350 and I eat a pretty large serving for between 300-320. We make with butter and Sour cream.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Mashed potatoes are good, but not worth the additional effort compared to a baked potato. Also with the baked potato you get the fiber of the potato skins. I like mine with butter and gravy. I already entered my Thannksgiving meal and with the sausage stuffing, and pecan pie I considered skipping them. I won't. I'll just go light with calories and carbs the rest of the day.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Mashed potatoes are good, but not worth the additional effort compared to a baked potato. Also with the baked potato you get the fiber of the potato skins. I like mine with butter and gravy. I already entered my Thannksgiving meal and with the sausage stuffing, and pecan pie I considered skipping them. I won't. I'll just go light with calories and carbs the rest of the day.

Why are you peeling your mashed potatoes? Bonus of fiber in the skin, and less effort.
  • caroldavison332
    Options
    Primmalim wrote: »
    I love mashed potatoes so so much. They're the only way I like to eat potatoes. I have to avoid making them though because I will literally eat nothing else for days. The crazy amount of butter and gravy I like with them does not help at all. I wonder if mashed-anything-else would fill that void without being so high in calories...

You can mashed many big "starchy" vegetables, butternut squash, cauliflower, parsnips, pumpkin, etc. IF you enjoy their taste, eat them instead. They have lots of vitamins.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Why are you peeling your mashed potatoes? Bonus of fiber in the skin, and less effort.

Ya, the only time I ever peel potatoes is if they've gotten old and the skins are unappealing.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    If I crave mashed potatoes, I make them fit. I go low on the butter and use 1% milk though.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »

Ya, the only time I ever peel potatoes is if they've gotten old and the skins are unappealing.

Unapeeling? :laugh:
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options

As for the OP, he eats below medically advised minimum so often posts lamenting how small his portions can be.

No..I don't..are you attempting to troll??
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options

As for the OP, he eats below medically advised minimum so often posts lamenting how small his portions can be.

No..I don't..are you attempting to troll??

No she is or he is static a fact lol

• lalainap19
    lalainap19 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I have to eat some sort of potatoes because I'm low in potassium.
  • caroldavison332
    Options
    Some folks coat their chicken with instant/dehydrated mashed potato flakes before cooking them. I detest instant potatoes so I never tried it.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Some folks coat their chicken with instant/dehydrated mashed potato flakes before cooking them. I detest instant potatoes so I never tried it.

iukkkkkk I so much dislike instant potatoes! I dont know if it is me or the instant part
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    karyabc wrote: »

iukkkkkk I so much dislike instant potatoes! I dont know if it is me or the instant part

You have to get the good ones. Idahoan are the best! They are.....

comfort-food-300x168.jpg

Try the applewood bacon. They are sooooo good!
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    karyabc wrote: »

You have to get the good ones. Idahoan are the best! They are.....

comfort-food-300x168.jpg

Try the applewood bacon. They are sooooo good!

Oh Thanks will have to try that! Cause all I ever haved is bad experience after bad experience with instant potatoes.