Diabetic having trouble reaching 1000 calories a day

Options
Ever since I started trying to eat low carb, low fat foods (after finding out I am diabetic) I have been having trouble getting up to 1000 calories a day. Usually I'm around 600 - 800 calories at the end of the day. When you are limited on fruit, what is the best way to add some healthy calories to your diet?

I need some ideas!

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Low carb Low fat is nobody's friend, apart from Dr Dukan.

Eat some nuts, or an avocado.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Was this low carbohydrate and low fat plan recommended by your doctor and/or dietician?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Low carb Low fat is nobody's friend, apart from Dr Dukan.

Eat some nuts, or an avocado.

And here I thought I'd never agree with you :wink:

Low carb and low fat would be painful, and I doubt it would help your diabetes really. Many people with diabetes do fine on moderate carbs. Others do well at low carb. I haven't seen anyone recommend low fat for diabetes though.

And as above, make sure your logging is accurate; you might be eating more than you think.
  • sparkynazca
    sparkynazca Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I was told to eat low fat by my diabetic councilor because I am also quite a bit overweight. Perhaps I'm overdoing it on the low fat. (I haven't been tracking on my fitness pal every day, but on another site)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I was told to eat low fat by my diabetic councilor because I am also quite a bit overweight. Perhaps I'm overdoing it on the low fat. (I haven't been tracking on my fitness pal every day, but on another site)

You'll want to consult your treatment team before changing what they have recommended, but this recommendation confuses me. Fat doesn't make you fat -- cutting fat won't result in weight loss unless it happens to introduce a caloric deficit. The people who have the most success on low carbohydrate plans don't restrict their fat to low levels.
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I will agree with those who said add a little more fat. Lower fat dairy isn't always better than the full fat version. Low carb can be very boring without something to add flavor, so I'd suggest experimenting with seasonings, too.
  • sparkynazca
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I will bring it up with my councilor next time I see her. She never mentioned eating under 1000 calories, it just seems most days with the choices that I've been making, that I am not quite making to that total. I've been kind of concerned, but it feels like I'm eating plenty, so it is confusing to me. But I've lost 17 lbs in the past two and a half weeks, and I know that isn't normal, so something needs to change!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    What are you eating? Reducing some types of carbs and fat is usually recommended, but it is not the same as avoid all carbs and all fat. The goal is to change what you eat, not just take away the foods you used to it and replace them with nothing ;) Try lots of vegetables, unsaturated fat (e.g. olive oil, nuts, avocados etc), fruit (one serving at a time), dairy, lean meats, fish.
  • rhyolite_
    rhyolite_ Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I agree with those saying talk to her - but the advice to eat low fat because you're overweight is wrong. Dietary fat doesn't make you fat. If after talking to her she continues to insist on a low carb AND low fat diet, it's time to find another professional to advise you.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    17 lbs in 2 1/2 weeks without very close medical supervision is dangerous. You refer to a "counselor." What sort of professional is it?
  • sparkynazca
    Options
    She was assigned to me through my general practitioner, and is a nutritionist at our local hospital.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    She was assigned to me through my general practitioner, and is a nutritionist at our local hospital.

Seems like a shabby nutritionist. Low carb low fat is pretty much mainly protein... good luck with that.
  • sparkynazca
    Options
    Usually I'm around 600 - 800 calories at the end of the day.

No you're not.

You think you are ... but your not.

Next ...
    But I've lost 17 lbs in the past two and a half weeks

No you didn't.

Any more Whoppers you'd like to submit to the peanut gallery?

I assure you that I am telling the truth. But thanks for doubting me, I guess?

From the looks of your rock hard abs in your profile picture, I'm guessing you don't understand how fast weight can come off of a very overweight person.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    You don't need to be eating low fat as a diabetic.

There are many healthy fats that you can and should include in your diet. Olive oil, avocados and nuts are a great place to start.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    How does someone who is significantly overweight go from eating thousands of calories per day to having a having trouble eating over a thousand? Even if you just ate 8 ounces of protein at each meal and add in some vegetables you'd be over 1000.
  • sparkynazca
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Because one gets scared of the fact that they are diabetic. I started monitoring my bloodsugar four times a day, and figuring out what was making my bloodsugar spike, then I cut those things out of my diet. Since then, I have been trying to replace what I was normally eating (mostly a lot of pasta, I was a pastaholic) with low carb, low fat options and trying to stay in a good bloodsugar range.

For example, in the past I could eat a large pizza by myself in one sitting for supper and not think much about it. And today I'm having a single 4 oz pork chop and vegetables.
  • sparkynazca
    Options
    Anyway, thanks for the good advice those of you who gave it.

This post is now frustrating me, because I came for help, not to be called a liar or criticized. So have a good day everyone.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I'm a 54 year old 224 pound diabetic. My diabetic educator told me to keep under 45 carbs per meal and was happy that I was on a 1600 calories per day diet. She said those 1000-1200 diets were unhealhty. Low carb and low fat sets you up for failing which screws with your metabolism and sets you up for more weight gain in the long run. I gave up drinking 3 20 ounce pepsis daily and now drink only water. I eat oatmeal with unsweetened peanut butter for breakfast, a pound of assorted vegetables for lunch to ensure that I get all different kinds of vitamins and a 4 ounce beef, salmon or turkey burger with mayo and blue cheese and no bread but with vegetable soup for dinner. I did this cold turkey. After 17 days I sometimes couldn't finish it all. I believe that is because I am actually getting nourished by eating all of those vegetables or as Dr Fuhrman says, I lost my toxic hunger. Best to you.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Because one gets scared of the fact that they are diabetic. I started monitoring my bloodsugar four times a day, and figuring out what was making my bloodsugar spike, then I cut those things out of my diet. Since then, I have been trying to replace what I was normally eating (mostly a lot of pasta, I was a pastaholic) with low carb, low fat options and trying to stay in a good bloodsugar range.

For example, in the past I could eat a large pizza by myself in one sitting for supper and not think much about it. And today I'm having a single 4 oz pork chop and vegetables.

That's great a great change and seems like you have the right motivation! Don't let the people here frustrate you. We see a lot of folks come here that push bad nutritional advice and many react in the wrong way when someone like yourself is given what seems to be bad advice.

As many said, there should be no reason to go low fat. Talk with your nutritionist again and show you diary. Ask more about what she meant by low fat. If she doesn't give you the advice you need, find someone else that can help you.