Options

Replies

• wubbykid
    wubbykid Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    slinke2014 wrote: »
    wubbykid wrote: »
    slinke2014 wrote: »
    yep, burgers became a rare treat for me. Maybe 3 or 4 times a year. I do enjoy eating out quite a bit in general but I make room for it during the day by really scaling back so I have extra calories for dinner.

I thought that a meal at McDonald's, including the 20 piece, was only 900 calories, turns out it was 2,399 calories.

I recently moved to WA where most restaurants are required to have the calories listed on the menu, including fast food and Starbucks. it really helps you decide what to put in your body.

Yes, helps a lot.
  • sinbos
    sinbos Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Brin1956 wrote: »
    I was into Costco salads till I found out they had 950 calories. Hey it is a salad.

Salads are fine ... and then comes a devil and adds some dressing :(
  • wubbykid
    Options
    Sorry folks, a quick off topic question.

Staci, how is the hot air deep fryer?

I keep playing with the thought of getting one, actual deep fried food tastes just too greasy now, but have never met anyone who uses one to get a good review.

Cheers, h.

LOL!
  • wubbykid
    Options
    I feel like living in the US is an automatic disadvantage when it comes to weight loss. Being overweight and sickly has become the norm here. I see more judgement on healthy people than I do on overweight or obese people. If you control your portions and try to eat correctly you get accused of being anorexic or sometimes even snobby. If you're overweight, you're just one of the gang and being yourself......or should I say you're being like everyone else and that makes them feel better about their health issues.

I was in that trap too. From high school all the way up until now. 20 years. I accepted it as normal that I was eating huge subs and huge plates of spaghetti every day. Come on, my belly isn't that big, right? This XL shirt must have shrunk! It used to fit me great!

This country has a severe problem. Most people aren't willing to get out of their comfort zone to change it. If you want to get healthy and eat right, you have to do it yourself and not expect anyone to help you. In fact, you can even sometimes expect the people you THOUGHT would support you to give you a lot of crap and try to push food on you no matter how many times you say no.

I'm from America, and yes, I agree with you we're at a disadvantage when it comes to weight loss. Our serving sizes are huge!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I feel like living in the US is an automatic disadvantage when it comes to weight loss. Being overweight and sickly has become the norm here. I see more judgement on healthy people than I do on overweight or obese people. If you control your portions and try to eat correctly you get accused of being anorexic or sometimes even snobby. If you're overweight, you're just one of the gang and being yourself......or should I say you're being like everyone else and that makes them feel better about their health issues.

I was in that trap too. From high school all the way up until now. 20 years. I accepted it as normal that I was eating huge subs and huge plates of spaghetti every day. Come on, my belly isn't that big, right? This XL shirt must have shrunk! It used to fit me great!

This country has a severe problem. Most people aren't willing to get out of their comfort zone to change it. If you want to get healthy and eat right, you have to do it yourself and not expect anyone to help you. In fact, you can even sometimes expect the people you THOUGHT would support you to give you a lot of crap and try to push food on you no matter how many times you say no.

YES THIS EXACTLY
  • wubbykid
    Options
    Brin1956 wrote: »
    I was into Costco salads till I found out they had 950 calories. Hey it is a salad.

JEsus!
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Yep, we all felt this way.
    Logging my foods showed me how notoriously dishonest I was with my eating.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    rsclause wrote: »
    For me it was something at McDonald's that was about 430 calories alone but as a meal 1300. I gave up sweet tea and fries on the spot and came to MFP to start counting. Another moment was when I ran far enough to burn 1000 calories (7.5 miles) if that doesn't motivate you to control what you consume nothing will. In reality I was over eating and making bad food choices. That was 45 pounds ago and it just don't stop. That's why I tell people "It's not a diet, its a lifestyle change" If you re-train yourself on what and how much to eat, its not all that difficult. It also helps to run 25 miles a week too.

I just restarted jogging today. Fingers crossed.

Start slow and gradually work up and get some good shoes.

Well, I have old shoes. That explains why my feet hurt!

Not only "good" shoes, but the "right" shoes. if you decide to keep running (and I hope you do!) go to a store that specializes in running. They will watch you run (usually on a treadmill) and see how you place your feet when you run. There are specific running shoes for different types of runners and they'll only show you the ones that you should be wearing. Once you know what kind of runner you are (neutral, pronator, over-pronator) you can always buy that type of shoe from anywhere. Also, running shoes should be at least a half size larger than you would normally wear that type of shoe or you'll end up with black toenails that might fall off. NOT pretty!

• ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    The calories in restaurant food is exactly why I started pre-logging food. If I know I'm going out, I check the menu online and decide at 7a what I'm eating for dinner. That way, I can make the rest of the day as skinny as necessary. And sometimes, whew! It's really necessary.
  • kelieghjane
    kelieghjane Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It is an eye opener. If you're serious about losing weight, invest in a food scale. You'd be shocked at how much 2 oz of pasta isn't

Pastas really shocked me I was having huge portions before
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    This is exactly why restaurants should have to show calories at the point of purchase
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I'm a new time calorie counter so when I started searching the internet and books for calorie counts for food, I was shocked by how some foods seem so little or at least 'normal' yet have so many calories!

Like one of the burgers at Chili's has 1,490 calories in it alone. Or that some Asian noodles have as much as 492 calories per cup! My mouth gaped open when I read about these numbers.

It's no wonder I'm 329 pounds or whatever! It's like the shock of the new.

It's okay. Your ignorance has been erased by the truth about foods! :D

Seriously, you're on your way to better health. You can do this!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    On the other hand, 2-3 ounces (dry) pasta can make a very filling meal when paired with 1-2 veggies and lean protein. :)
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,146 Member
    Options
    On the other hand, 2-3 ounces (dry) pasta can make a very filling meal when paired with 1-2 veggies and lean protein. :)

When I make pasta, I only use 2 oz for two portions and I add lots of saute veggies, plus the protein of the day. We still eat some past (I use Barilla Plus with more protein and fiber), but we don't overindulge or add more calories. Leaves room for desert...
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    If the lean protein is about a pound of chicken breast, maybe.

• AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options

I was 337 four months ago, now I'm 291! You can do it too, just try to keep a calorie deficit, if you have any questions just hit me up!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    It is an eye opener. If you're serious about losing weight, invest in a food scale. You'd be shocked at how much 2 oz of pasta isn't

Pastas really shocked me I was having huge portions before

I find 2 oz. of pasta to be fine. That 2 oz. is dry pasta - so once cooked, it's much bigger - about double in volume (not sure on the weight).

I mean, I could eat a lot more of that if it were mac n cheese, but for something like spaghetti & meat sauce, that single serving is plenty.

Peanut butter still makes me teary eyed though :'(

• Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I like almonds but just one ounce of almonds is 160 calories. So each day I have one ounce of almonds....has anyone seen how small one ounce is? :open_mouth:
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    I like almonds but just one ounce of almonds is 160 calories. So each day I have one ounce of almonds....has anyone seen how small one ounce is? :open_mouth:
    It is, but........

I've gotten used to smaller portions, and I can get full on an ounce of nuts.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

I was 337 four months ago, now I'm 291! You can do it too, just try to keep a calorie deficit, if you have any questions just hit me up!

Way to go!