Mashed Potatoes are bad news!

Options

Replies

• AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    karyabc wrote: »
    Some folks coat their chicken with instant/dehydrated mashed potato flakes before cooking them. I detest instant potatoes so I never tried it.

iukkkkkk I so much dislike instant potatoes! I dont know if it is me or the instant part

I used to eat them all the time..love em =)
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options

As for the OP, he eats below medically advised minimum so often posts lamenting how small his portions can be.

No..I don't..are you attempting to troll??

Before you closed your diary your calories were extremely low for weeks. Maybe you've upped them?

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    OP I can't figure out why you can't fit mashed potatoes in your calories for the day?? How many calories are you doing??

Me thinks you are doing low calories. ;)
  • AspenDan
    Options

As for the OP, he eats below medically advised minimum so often posts lamenting how small his portions can be.

Before you closed your diary your calories were extremely low for weeks. Maybe you've upped them?

Honestly I don't pay close attention to the total number anymore, however, medically advised is very subjective..the medical advise I got, as someone with 100+ lbs to lose, was to keep doing what was working, and if I had any issues with it (which I dont),then reassess with the doc at that point..
    But I was actually stating that I don't often lament about how small my portions are..90% of my posts are about the positives of my journey so far.
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I've only recently started on the "being creative with cauliflower" road, and am surprised by how well i'm liking it. For mashed potatoes, i'd be interested to add some cauliflower florets to the boiling potatoes, and then mash it all together. With a 1:1 mix in the mash, and then a little cream, butter, and seasoning i would be surprised if you notice the difference from pure potatoes.

100g of cauliflower is only about 25 calories. You can mix it with potatoes to get the taste you want AND the bulk you want, with minimal caloric increase.
  • AspenDan
    Options
    wonko221 wrote: »
    100g of cauliflower is only about 25 calories. You can mix it with potatoes to get the taste you want AND the bulk you want, with minimal caloric increase.

I really like cauliflower too..some good advice!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

Honestly I don't pay close attention to the total number anymore, however, medically advised is very subjective..the medical advise I got, as someone with 100+ lbs to lose, was to keep doing what was working, and if I had any issues with it (which I dont),then reassess with the doc at that point..
    But I was actually stating that I don't often lament about how small my portions are..90% of my posts are about the positives of my journey so far.

So you didn't make a post about not being able to have apple pie?

You say your doctor supports you but from the way you talk about it, you haven't actually disclosed how little you're eating to them. I eat more than you and I started with probably 80lbs to lose and I'm female.

And I'll clarify, universally, medically, scientifically accepted minimum calories to remain healthy and get all minimum required nutrients. You do what you do but I can't really take you seriously when you make posts like this and the apple pie one when you could easily have those things and still lose weight.

But ya know, I'm just trollin' trollin' trollin'...............
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I've only recently started on the "being creative with cauliflower" road, and am surprised by how well i'm liking it. For mashed potatoes, i'd be interested to add some cauliflower florets to the boiling potatoes, and then mash it all together. With a 1:1 mix in the mash, and then a little cream, butter, and seasoning i would be surprised if you notice the difference from pure potatoes.

What a great idea!!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Yeah, if OP ate more than 1200 calories per day, he'd have room for mashed potatoes. But under doctor's care, so personally I'd tell my doctor.
  • AspenDan
    Options

So you didn't make a post about not being able to have apple pie?

You do what you do but I can't really take you seriously when you make posts like this and the apple pie one when you could easily have those things and still lose weight.

But ya know, I'm just trollin' trollin' trollin'...............

In regards to the apple pie post ..I stated that I was unusually hungry that day, so I was going to eat more calories, which I did. I'm not sure what your issue with me is? If you don't like my posts maybe just don't read them?

Also thanks everyone else for being productive for the conversation.
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    What a great idea!!

Thanks!

My first attempt at a "cauliflower-based alfredo sauce" turned out to be more of a "very runny but delicious garlic mashed potatoes" flavor. Definitely think this could get OP within target.
  • AspenDan
    Options
    What a great idea!!

Thanks!

My first attempt at a "cauliflower-based alfredo sauce" turned out to be more of a "very runny but delicious garlic mashed potatoes" flavor. Definitely think this could get OP within target.

Yeah this is super helpful, deff gonna try it!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    lalainap19 wrote: »
    I have to eat some sort of potatoes because I'm low in potassium.

Right...like the people who "have to" eat bananas.

There are tons of other things that contain potassium.

webmd.com/food-recipes/high-potassium-foods-topic-overview
  • Great_Mazinga
    Great_Mazinga Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I mashed taters with tofu and mixed in indian spices, then stuffed back in the baked skins. WAS SO GOOD!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Have the mashed potatoes, just a smaller portion and fill the rest of your plate with veg/protein.
    Or reserve your cals so you can enjoy a bigger portion of them...the choice is yours :smile:
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    karyabc wrote: »
    Some folks coat their chicken with instant/dehydrated mashed potato flakes before cooking them. I detest instant potatoes so I never tried it.

iukkkkkk I so much dislike instant potatoes! I dont know if it is me or the instant part

You have to get the good ones. Idahoan are the best! They are.....

comfort-food-300x168.jpg

Try the applewood bacon. They are sooooo good!

Ohhh, I ate those all the time in college. Now I'm craving them.

Real mashed potatoes are a special occasion food for me, cause if I'm gonna eat them, I want them made with butter and whole milk and maybe some cheese.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert in many things. But I might be an expert in mashed potatoes. One of my favorite foods!

Add herbs, garlic, or a very flavorful cheese and reduce the amount of butter/cream. Asiago, blue, and extra sharp cheddar stand out more than milder cheeses so you can use less.

Smash red skin potatoes with the skins on for extra fiber/nutrients. Parsley, chives, and sour cream with a smashed potato is superb.

Mash a bunch of wilted greens with potato. If you don't love greens, you might like them in mashed potatoes. And having a bunch of lower cal greens like kale or spinach can bulk up the amount of food you get.

Try using reduced fat buttermilk instead of milk and butter. The tangy flavor is nice and works well in place of a buttery flavor. Or broth and a little olive oil instead of dairy.

Whip with low-fat ricotta or cream cheese. (I continue to use full fat and make it fit.)

Use mashed potatoes as an ingredient in something else so there isn't a giant pot of creamy goodness. Maybe a shepherd's pie or meatloaf muffins. Think of how mad your friends will be if you strip the taters off their portion.
  • Coley88
    Coley88 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Kinda...I just decided to take my potatoes and instead of quarter and bake them, like I typically do and totally enjoy...and turn them into mashed potatoes, which I also totally love. The problem is that a serving of 75g is like 150cals, and I dont know about you, but I need like 3 servings to feel like its an adequate amount of mashed potatoes...like 1 serving is barely enough to coat the bag of veggies and chicken I'm gonna have with it...

TLDR, just quarter/season/bake your potatoes...mashed are not worth the time, and deff not the calories :P

Mashed potatoes are in fact....worth the time and the calories. Thems be delicious. Mmmmm!!!!

Mashed potatoes are worth everything.