Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• Sandyslosenit
    Sandyslosenit Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Nope, just a weirdo who reads too much. I typed a nice long post on my phone this morning along with that line, but mfp in all of it's infinite wisdom decided to not include :( sad panda.
    Awwww, too bad ! It would have been a fun read , I'm sure.

My bento for tomorrow. Total 865 cals. Breakfast : Bunny Egg and blueberry biscuits
    1st. Snack : hummus and Sweet pepper Flowers
    Lunch : seasoned salmon with rice
    2nd Snack : Cookies n Cream Yudding!!

uszlmb84mtq5.jpg
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I've just noticed that this thread is at 2.2k replies. When I wrote the OP, I was expecting a couple of replies and for the thread to die off like most of them do (or for snarky and the thread to get blocked). So many bento minions comrades to walk the path of pretty, healthy and compact lunches with! <3

Turkey Soboro bento with rice, veg (fridge is getting empty, so only golden squash and Brussels sprouts) and tamagoyaki. 620 Cals.
    ut73k2ldobq5.jpg
    @PixelPuff Damn you for linking that original 'cooking with dog' recipe. I've now learnt how to make melon-pan and pretty much am tempted to stay up for 3 hours to make it. I'm sad there's no melon in melon-pan though :(
  • piheart
    piheart Posts: 122 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    My bento have been looking really sad and empty lately, so I haven't been posting pics. Here's today's though... I used some animal picks to make it look better?

Breakfast - last of the blueberries, cinnamon swirl chocolate Greek yogurt, baked egg w/chicken, spinach, tomatoes (238 cal)
    Lunch - mini quiche (onion, spinach, feta this week), broccoli & hummus, contemplate inner peas, wheat thins & laughing cow (474 cal)

okevcqllrb35.jpg

• sagj
    sagj Posts: 256 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    mt7gewmk4q06.jpg

Today's bento:

Layer one: mushroom slices and pineapple mixed with white grapes

Layer two: dilled egg salad with spring mix salad and a tomato
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I have bento! It's boring, but I have one :blush: Lunch is pork & mushroom dumplings, rice mix, edamame & carrots 426 cals. Snack box, has smoked almonds, a plain ol' egg, Trader Joe's edamame thins & a laughing cow cheese, both snacks total 393 cals.
    z2upbnfd4uy3.jpg
    z0w7hjyix8lo.jpg

• madiao
    madiao Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    @piheart I feel you! My bentos having been looking pretty sad and empty too! :(
    Back today though! I love your little animal picks too, they're adorable!

@sagj your bento looks really colourful and tasty!

@mangrothian how do you get your tamago to be so perfect looking?? :open_mouth:

Today's bento is rice, stir fried capsicum and onion, lamb and a boiled egg. There is also choc banana pocky for a snack :smiley:

wvf09cfrz8zn.jpg
  • mangrothian
    Options
    madiao wrote: »

Practice pretty much. I've stuffed up so many, and still do.

The main thing I can suggest is to have a decent non stick pan. My daiso ones wore out too quickly, and our regular pans are getting a bit old so the non-stick wasnt great. I managed to get a decent small square one that was the same size as my spatula on sale last week and it works wonders.

For shape, once its cooked and still hot, wrap it up in a sushi rolling mat and put something heavy on top. That way it'll cool to the right shape.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Everyone's are looking so nummy. I had to look up tamagoyaki and will have to try to make it some time. None for me until Thursday as I work short shifts and won't be taking breaks. Maybe my other bento package will be here by then. Though, I did buy a box of yellow panda cookies to give to a coworker cause she thought the ones I had were cute.
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

The main thing I can suggest is to have a decent non stick pan. My daiso ones wore out too quickly, and our regular pans are getting a bit old so the non-stick wasnt great. I managed to get a decent small square one that was the same size as my spatula on sale last week and it works wonders.

For shape, once its cooked and still hot, wrap it up in a sushi rolling mat and put something heavy on top. That way it'll cool to the right shape.

And then there's also the wonderful bento cheat tip of putting the prettiest sides of the prettiest items on top :)
  • mangrothian
    Options

And then there's also the wonderful bento cheat tip of putting the prettiest sides of the prettiest items on top :)

and you get the joy of eating the wonky end bits you cut off. Those Calories don't count right?
  • pjnva
    pjnva Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Easiest way i've been able to make tamagoyaki (i dont have a square pan)-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lclhzwuvxNw

I haven't seen anyone with one of these in there yet. I am loving all these bentos. Check out the other recipes from Eugenie kitchen too! She has some amazing sweets recipes.
    I'm going to try this. Looks delish!!!
  • Sandyslosenit
    Sandyslosenit Posts: 322 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    2x81a12f1jlq.jpg
    625 cals :
    Bunny Soy Egg with grapes
    String Cheese
    Chicken Pot Stickers
    BBQ Meatballs, corn, and carrots
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options

I've also had many a disaster. If I ever get my rolling skills down, you may actually see one. For now, the doggies get a lot of weirdo looking egg sheets.
  • mangrothian
    edited August 2015
    Options
    pjnva wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Easiest way i've been able to make tamagoyaki (i dont have a square pan)-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lclhzwuvxNw

I haven't seen anyone with one of these in there yet. I am loving all these bentos. Check out the other recipes from Eugenie kitchen too! She has some amazing sweets recipes.
    I'm going to try this. Looks delish!!!

To get used to the cooking method of rolling a tamagoyaki, I would always suggest cooking one without the vegetables first time. The way it cooks, rolls and sticks changes as soon as you add anything to the mixture

I've also had many a disaster. If I ever get my rolling skills down, you may actually see one. For now, the doggies get a lot of weirdo looking egg sheets.

I still eat mine, they just usually end up as shredded egg in the box though.
  • sagj
    sagj Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    d1axqbx2tt96.jpg
    Tomorrow's bento!

Layer one: Swiss cheese, mushrooms, and pineapple with grapes

Later two: dilled egg salad and spring greens salad with tomato and garlic chicken
  • LadyAhiru
    LadyAhiru Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    xduhpfba3fx1.jpg

Super quick "Oh dear i forgot to make lunch yesterday" Bento ;)
    Under the salad is some miso waiting for water^^
  • piheart
    piheart Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    @piheart I feel you! My bentos having been looking pretty sad and empty too! :(
    Back today though! I love your little animal picks too, they're adorable!

@sagj your bento looks really colourful and tasty!

Today's bento is rice, stir fried capsicum and onion, lamb and a boiled egg. There is also choc banana pocky for a snack :smiley:

wvf09cfrz8zn.jpg

Looks delicious! and banana pocky sounds amazing...!
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    LadyAhiru wrote: »
    xduhpfba3fx1.jpg

Super quick "Oh dear i forgot to make lunch yesterday" Bento ;)
    Under the salad is some miso waiting for water^^

The onigiri on the right looks a bit scared :smile: It's so cute!
  • mangrothian
    Options
    Today I have beef meatballs cooked with shiitake mushrooms and snow peas in sesame oil and ponzu sauce with my normal rice and veg, and an instant miso soup. Nomnomnom wb6vmlp9z9ea.jpg
  • carpicke
    carpicke Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the inspiration, I kind of forgot about them. Guess what I am having for lunch tomorrow if I can wait that long...LOL