metformin

Options
WeddedBliss1992
WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
edited August 2015 in Food and Nutrition
i am starting metformin tomorrow for weight gain, high cholesterol and PCOS. i took it in the past, but it's been about 15 years. anyway, just curious if anyone else takes it and how your body is responding. my dr put me on a strict diet - no bread, no rice, no potatoes, no red meat and adding 4 grams of omega-3 per day. trying to lower my cholesterol w/o using cholesterol lowering drugs. PM me if you want to add me as a friend. <3

Replies

• jah1360
    jah1360 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I thought metformin as a diabetic drug, because that was what that my doctor has me on for my type two diabetes. Anyway I had Stomach problems at the beginning that Lessing as my body got use to the metformin. My type two diabetes is now well controlled. I hope the metformin helps you as much as it has me. Good luck I wish I could offer more informtion but we have two different reason for being on metformin
    Again good luck
  • anapplefortheteacher
    Options
    Hi there! I was diagnosed with insulin resistance and pcos in June. I'm up to taking my met 2x a day and eating a paleoish diet, but am working on making improvements there.

Honestly metformin has been the best thing that has happened to me in a while. It allows me to lose weight (I do crossfit 3x a week) and helps keep me honest because unfortunately it makes me sick if I eat something I shouldn't (too much sugar, fried, etc). So it really helps me to stay away from things like that.

Feel free to add me, or message me if you want. I'll be happy to help any way I can.
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Metformin can be used for insulin resistance, a part of PCOS that can lead to type 2 diabetes. I was put on it for that reason. It helps a lot, though I've been very bad at taking it recently. Last time I took it, I lost 30 pounds in 2 months just eating what I had always been eating, lower carb and high protein. Not sure what specifically the OP wanted to know other than problems with or praise for metformin.
  • CatchCrissie
    CatchCrissie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I took Met4 in the past. It was like a rock to my belly and I had to stop taking it or live in the bathroom.

I've since been unmedicated. I took it for type 2 diabetes. Until last week my sugar was 270-300 in the mornings before food. Now only a week after being on Purium, my sugar reads at 150 or just under. I'm loving what it has done for me in all things. I can't praise it enough. I've also lost a total of 10lbs as of today (8 days on the cleanse)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I took it for 3 weeks and my EGFR dropped 20 points so my doctor took me off it. My kidney function came back up to normal within 6 months with an EGFR well over 60. I never had kidney problems before so it was definitely the metformin. She put me on glipizide instead but I have been off that since December.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    Options
    jah1360 wrote: »
    I thought metformin as a diabetic drug, because that was what that my doctor has me on for my type two diabetes. Anyway I had Stomach problems at the beginning that Lessing as my body got use to the metformin. My type two diabetes is now well controlled. I hope the metformin helps you as much as it has me. Good luck I wish I could offer more informtion but we have two different reason for being on metformin
    Again good luck

well my PCOS makes me insulin resistant and along with my extreme weight gain from meds i am taking, we are concerned about my getting metabolic syndrome as i already have 2 of the 3 signs. thanks for the info. i appreciate the info about the stomach issues, i do remember that!

• WeddedBliss1992
    Options
    Hi there! I was diagnosed with insulin resistance and pcos in June. I'm up to taking my met 2x a day and eating a paleoish diet, but am working on making improvements there.

Honestly metformin has been the best thing that has happened to me in a while. It allows me to lose weight (I do crossfit 3x a week) and helps keep me honest because unfortunately it makes me sick if I eat something I shouldn't (too much sugar, fried, etc). So it really helps me to stay away from things like that.

Feel free to add me, or message me if you want. I'll be happy to help any way I can.

thanks, i sent you a F.R. - appreciate your input. :)
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Why was the OP flagged?

Seems strange to flag this thread.

• WeddedBliss1992
    Options
    Why was the OP flagged?

I was? hmmmmmmmmmm???? :o

• mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Why was the OP flagged?

I was? hmmmmmmmmmm???? :o

Meh, no worries, just add it to your collection.
  • Lizzles4Shizzles
    Lizzles4Shizzles Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Why was the OP flagged?

I was wondering the same thing, unless it's someone who has a completely wrong idea about what Metformin is.

OP, I've been on Metformin for the past 10 years, since my first diagnosis of PCOS. I don't have any side effects with the exception of some stomach discomfort back when I first started taking it, but that went away within probably 3 weeks.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    Options
    Why was the OP flagged?

I was wondering the same thing, unless it's someone who has a completely wrong idea about what Metformin is.

OP, I've been on Metformin for the past 10 years, since my first diagnosis of PCOS. I don't have any side effects with the exception of some stomach discomfort back when I first started taking it, but that went away within probably 3 weeks.

i looked in my file and it was marked as spam, so i guess maybe someone thought metformin was some type of weight loss supplement or marketing ploy on my part. sorry if anyone was confused but met is a drug used for lowering blood sugar and other reasons as deemed appropriate by a dr. i was also flagged on another post earlier when i mentioned that i gained weight due to my meds. i guess people don't like hearing that.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Metformin was great for keeping my blood sugars in check. It is a very helpful drug. The trick is to work up your dosage slowly so that your body (lower digestive tract, 'nuff said) has time to adjust. It will adjust.

I would even take half the dose your doctor prescribed for the first few weeks to avoid the side effects.

Always take with food; never on an empty stomach.
  • Lizzles4Shizzles
    Lizzles4Shizzles Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Why was the OP flagged?

i looked in my file and it was marked as spam, so i guess maybe someone thought metformin was some type of weight loss supplement or marketing ploy on my part. sorry if anyone was confused but met is a drug used for lowering blood sugar and other reasons as deemed appropriate by a dr. i was also flagged on another post earlier when i mentioned that i gained weight due to my meds. i guess people don't like hearing that.

People can be ignorant. Metformin is talked about a lot here, so don't worry about it.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Metformin was great for keeping my blood sugars in check. It is a very helpful drug. The trick is to work up your dosage slowly so that your body (lower digestive tract, 'nuff said) has time to adjust. It will adjust.

I would even take half the dose your doctor prescribed for the first few weeks to avoid the side effects.

Always take with food; never on an empty stomach.

thanks :smile: i am taking with breakfast and that seems to work really well.

• crsheilah
    crsheilah Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I was taking metaformin for a while but quit as I was losing a lot of hair. I did some research online and found this to be a common side effect.
  • Marcus_2015
    Marcus_2015 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have taken it for years for type II diabetes and never had a side effect - or any effect for that matter.

My bloods are good, but I could not tell you that I had metformin in my system or not.

R