30 day, PCOS weight loss challenge.

Options

Replies

• anapplefortheteacher
    anapplefortheteacher Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    That's wonderful news, Janel.

I might have to set an alarm not something. I also thought about getting three stackable rings and switching them to the other hand after I take a pill.

Today I am down another half of a pound. :) Metformin is definitely helping!
  • Lizzles4Shizzles
    Lizzles4Shizzles Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Oh I want to join :) I'm 28 and was diagnosed with PCOS at age 18. I'm currently taking Metformin & Spironolactone to manage my symptoms, and of course, trying to lose weight. Here are my stats:

Height: 5'11"
    SW: 299.6
    CW: 289.2
    GW: 180
    TMGW: 283 (280 would be great, but I realize that is an aggressive goal for 1 month)

I've forgotten to check in until now! Since my first post, I'm down 3.4lbs - as of Wednesday morning, I weighed in at 285.8 - my official weigh-in tracking day is tomorrow though, so we'll see what the scale says in the morning! Things are looking good for hitting TMGW of 283 :) Hope everyone else is doing well so far!
  • brittanyarkward
    brittanyarkward Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi! Almost 29 with pcos. Trying to lose weight to manage it.
    Height: 5'6"
    SW: 286.8 (started before using MFP)
    CW: 272.2
    GW: 170
    TMGW: 267
    Total loss: 14.6
    Anyone feel free to add me!

I forgot to check in until now too! Changes:
    I'm actually 29 now
    CW: 268.0
    Total loss: 18.8
  • Lizzles4Shizzles
    Lizzles4Shizzles Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Oh I want to join :) I'm 28 and was diagnosed with PCOS at age 18. I'm currently taking Metformin & Spironolactone to manage my symptoms, and of course, trying to lose weight. Here are my stats:

CW: 289.2
    TMGW: 283 (280 would be great, but I realize that is an aggressive goal for 1 month)

I've forgotten to check in until now! Since my first post, I'm down 3.4lbs - as of Wednesday morning, I weighed in at 285.8 - my official weigh-in tracking day is tomorrow though, so we'll see what the scale says in the morning! Things are looking good for hitting TMGW of 283 :) Hope everyone else is doing well so far!

This morning's weight at my official tracking weigh-in was 284.8! So I'll re-do my stats:

TMSW: 289.2
    CW: 284.8
    TMGW: 280 (I'm gonna go ahead and shoot for this)
    Total loss so far for this challenge: 4.4lbs
    Total loss: 14.4lbs
  • anapplefortheteacher
    anapplefortheteacher Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    I'm 26 and was just diagnosed with pcos and insulin resistance. I get final blood tests tomorrow and can start metformin.
    SW: 191
    CW: 186
    GW: 145
    TMGW: 182

Here are my end of the month stats.

Sw: 191
    Cw: 184.4
    Gw: 145

Total loss: 6.6 lbs (2.4 this month)

I didn't reach my monthly goal, but I feel great. This week I lost another .6 and .9% body fat which translates to -1.88 lbs of fat lost and 1.28 lbs of muscle gained!

August tmgw: 180lbs

• brinutbutter88
    brinutbutter88 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Does anyone use the app 'mapmywalk' that syncs with mfp? Im competitive by nature and thought it might motivate some to walk or get moving more.

We can create group challenges to see who walks the greatest distace in a month, or who has the most improvements!

The best part about the app, is that it calculates your speed to get a more accurate calorie burned number! And its a free app. Anyone interested?
  • janel4846
    janel4846 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Update

SW 285
    CW 258
    TMGW 250
    GW 175
    TOTAL LOSS 27
    Lost 5 lbs in 2 weeks
  • ana_sb15
    ana_sb15 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies, I also want to start 30 days challenge. have been identified with pcos 14 years back...it keeps fluctuating on and off....but gaining weight continuously. currently on Metformin for last one year...please suggest diet and exercise plan
  • determinedandready22
    Options
    Hey everyone,

This is a bit random and I know you guys will have finished your monthly challenge, I'm just wondering if anyone could help me. I have not been diagnosed with PCOS but am pretty convinced I have it. I'm currently working out in Zimbabwe but will go to the doctor when I'm home. I have a quick question for everyone on here. I hit my heaviest weight early in 2014 weighing 240lbs, I have since lost 70lbs (CW 170lbs) but would like to lose another 40lbs. However, symptoms that I think may be down to PCOS have gotten worse since I started losing weight. My periods have become irregular with bleeding in between some periods, I have started getting small black hairs on my chest and blonde hairs on my neck and face and my hair is thinning. Has anyone experienced an increase in symptoms since losing weight as I was always told weightloss should have the opposite effect.

Thanks in advance! :)

Perri x
  • anapplefortheteacher
    Options
    janel4846 wrote: »
    Update

SW 285
    CW 258
    TMGW 250
    GW 175
    TOTAL LOSS 27
    Lost 5 lbs in 2 weeks
    ana_sb15 wrote: »
    Hello ladies, I also want to start 30 days challenge. have been identified with pcos 14 years back...it keeps fluctuating on and off....but gaining weight continuously. currently on Metformin for last one year...please suggest diet and exercise plan

Let me start by saying that I'm not a doctor, but I can tell you what has been working for me.

My understanding is that Metformin kind of gives your body the opportunity to not gain more weight, but that depends on what you're eating and how much you're exercising. It allows your body to be aware of the insulin levels and use the insulin it makes. As far as weight previous gained, I think we just need to burn it off.

I have seen success in crossfit and eating a paleo(ish) diet. Crossfit allows me to build more muscle and burn the stored fat and paleo makes me eat for nutrient rich foods and not make so much insulin. If it were me, I'd have a chat with my doctor and see what suggestions they make.
  • anapplefortheteacher
    Options
    Perri-
    Maybe you can email with your doctor and get some answers. Metformin is supposed to help your insulin and the effects will help your body not produce as much testosterone, but those symptoms sound like your testosterone levels might be pretty high. I'm not sure how to get it under control without Met, but I hope you find the answers.
  • anapplefortheteacher
    Options
    Update.

I haven't done as well with pcos eating and gained this week (now 185.6)

My plan is to grocery shop today and get back on the horse. I know what works, I just need to do it!
  • BriAnnaWest90
    BriAnnaWest90 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Brianna. I am 25 I guess I have had PCOS since puberty but just found out that I have it. I haven't started any treatments but I want to start Home remedies before any medications. I'm at my biggest and sick of being restricted by my own body.

Age 25
    CW 338
    TMGW 328 August 9th- September 9th
    GW 170
  • brinutbutter88
    brinutbutter88 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Whoops! Forgot to do my months check in! 4 days late is better than not doing it at all!

SW: 332lb
    SW for this challenge: 306.4lbs
    CW: 300.8 lbs

In 1 month, I only lost about 6 lbs total. Turns out I wasnt taking enough metformin. So theres that, and my nutritionist is making me focus more on my macros rather than calories this upcoming month.

My gw for the next month: 295.

Hows everyone else doing?
  • anapplefortheteacher
    Options
    We just started school again, so I will be packing lunches every day. I'm also waking up at 4:30am to have my work out in.

As of this week, I am down a total of 6 lbs since the end of June. I have 4 more until my August goal weight, and might not get there in time, but I'm happy with the success I am seeing.

How about everyone else? I'd love to hear about your successes no matter how big or small!
  • anapplefortheteacher
    Options
    Anyone have aby good recipes to share? I want to eat more vegetables and less carbs.
  • lejoie
    lejoie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi! my name is joy and I have PCOS. :) if you'd like to be friends, please add me! my journey started on July 6th and is still going strong!

SW: 200
    CW: 185.6
    GW: 150
    TMGW: 181
  • janel4846
    janel4846 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Life got crazy and I stopped tracking for a couple weeks. I gained 2 lbs.
    Hubby and I have gone to see a new doctor and we are cleared to start our testing for my infertility treatment.
    If i could do things over, i would have treated the pcos 18 years ago and maybe i wouldn't be in this situation.
    I'm still doing low carbs and the past day has been effortlessly simple.

I have to see the endocrinologist on Sept 22 because the pcos has shot my system.

Let's keep pressing forward ladies.
  • silverarcheress
    silverarcheress Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    One thing I have noticed over the past six months that as my weight has continued to drop my TOM becomes a lot more predictable and less likely to put me out of action for days at a time when it turns up at all lol.

I'm trying to avoid taking any medication as I want to see how the weight loss continues to improve my symptoms (hopefully). Then when I settle closer to a goal weight I'll just be treating that set of issues. I hope that makes sense.

Last month I was focusing on a faster rate of weight loss ahead of a wedding so lost 10lb and it was the easiest TOM I've ever been through. So fingers crossed that if I eat the same now it will have the same effect.
  • anapplefortheteacher
    Options
    SW: 191
    CW: 182.2
    GW: 145
    TMGW: was 180, but I'm pleased with my results so far. I feel like Metformin oin playing a bit role since I am successfully losing weight continuously (though at a slow and safe rate), and I'm seeing changes in my body that I hadn't seen when I was doing ww and lost weight in the past.

Good luck with your tests, Janel! Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Silverarcheress, I'm happy you're finding something that is working for you!