Self control

anyone know any tips for boosting self control. It's my BIGGEST problem.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Changing behavior usually involves several things
    Here is a book: The Ultimate Weight Solution: The 7 Keys to Weight Loss Freedom
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/dr-phils-ultimate-weight-solution
    Right Thinking: Get rid of negative thoughts, and replace them with positive ones.
    Healing Feelings: Stop looking to food to ease emotional pain.
    A No-Fail Environment: Change what's around you to get rid of binge foods and chances to eat.
    Mastery Over Food and Impulse Eating: Stop a pattern of mindless eating.
    High-Response Cost, High-Yield Nutrition: Choose foods that help with lasting weight loss.
    Intentional Exercise: Regular exercise gives you energy and gets your body in shape for long-term weight loss.
    Your Circle of Support: Build relationships that help as you change your life.

Also this:
    http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART00524/compulsive-overeating.html
    To this end, nutritional rehabilitation, psychosocial intervention and medication management strategies are often employed.

Establishment of a pattern of regular, non-binge meals, improvement of attitudes related to the eating disorder, encouragement of healthy but not excessive exercise, and resolution of co-occurring conditions such as mood or anxiety disorders are among the specific aims of these strategies. Individual psychotherapy (especially cognitive-behavioral or interpersonal psychotherapy), group psychotherapy that uses a cognitive-behavioral approach, and family or marital therapy have been reported to be effective.

Psychotropic medications, primarily antidepressants such as the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), have been found helpful for people with bulimia, particularly those with significant symptoms of depression or anxiety, or those who have not responded adequately to psychosocial treatment alone. These medications also may help prevent relapse.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    I keep a 'diet- book'. I'm old fashioned so it's a paper scrap book. It has weight and measurement charts, menstrual chart (VERY IMPORTANT for me) motivational quotes, inspirational pictures, diet facts - all sorts of things. It really helped to read through it each day at the begining. I also had a little list of non-food rewards for each milestone.

I also keep a journal- not just for weight loss but as a release for mental/ emotional thoughts and feelings and all sorts of stuff. Its useful to look back and see correltaions between having a difficult time and not being bothered to look after myself etc.

Good luck.
  • kthompson601
    kthompson601 Posts: 174 Member
    RodaRose, that first book from WebMD you suggested sounds helpful, I will check it out!

I find two of the keys particularly interesting: "A No-Fail Environment: Change what's around you to get rid of binge foods and chances to eat" and "Your Circle of Support: Build relationships that help as you change your life". I have seen in other threads, where OPs will say they are having trouble getting a spouse to help them or having their parents be supportive, A lot of posters will respond, "Suck it up, it's your problem not theirs, learn some self control." I remember one thread in particular where the OP knew she binged on peanut butter, yet she couldn't get her parents to stop buying it and keeping it front and center in the pantry. A lot of the posters were, IMO, rude and unhelpful, telling her to just stay away from it, which isn't a supportive tip. Apparently having a no-fail environment and supportive loved ones are crucial to succeeding! Maybe some people on these boards should read that book...
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Pray.
  • mikestobbs1
    mikestobbs1 Posts: 294 Member
    Ask yourself what you want from life. The only thing that dictates self control is mental strength. It's not difficult when you step back and think what you are doing.
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 491 Member
    For me I had to completely change my outlook. I know that if I overeat, I will end up being unhappy and mad at myself. I know that if I can control what I eat I will be doing a good job for my progress and will see more progress because of that. Don't get me wrong, every once in awhile I do eat more of something than I should (say a piece of cheese or something) but nothing at all like I used to. It grosses me out what and how much and the way that I used to eat.
  • ankdworak
    ankdworak Posts: 336 Member
    Have a "WHY" that's big enough to keep you determined and surround yourself with like minded people. Feel free to add me for support. ankdworak
  • imaphotographer
    imaphotographer Posts: 6 Member
    I have had tendencies to comfort eat. I have been practicing meditation regularly for about a year now and it really helps. Also, I am in my later 30s and being health centered has become much more important to me than it was in earlier years. Sugar intake is off the charts for me and regularly using the app has been helpful. I think sugar has contributed to mood swings and that is a huge concern for me to reign in.
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Ask yourself what you want from life. The only thing that dictates self control is mental strength. It's not difficult when you step back and think what you are doing.

I'm gonna go with something else....repetition of a behavior creates a habit. That's exactly how someone got overweight and exactly how they will reclaim their health.
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    heada810 wrote: »
    anyone know any tips for boosting self control. It's my BIGGEST problem.

Get involved in another activity until you're too busy to think about your craving anymore. Also don't keep any of those foods in your house. At least then the temptation is only at outside places. Lastly don't try to torture yourself. Have a little bite.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited August 2015
    I had to change my habits one by one over a year. Everyday I woke up and said to myself "today I'm going to...(insert one very small goal)." EX: no pop, going to gym, not eating another snack at midnight. If I didn't complete my goal that day, I did it the next day...next day....next day until I finally got it through my own thick head. Kept adding goals and continuing with the old ones. Goals you complete every day eventually turn into habits. Over time those very small goals and new habits turned into one big snowball of self control.

You'll have good days, bad days, really bad days, bad week.. just keep going!!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Eating foods that make self-control a non-issue
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    All that's said is good stuff to think about.

Here is what worked for me.
    I associate pain with a lack of self control. I think of my bloated belly, fat as a hog face and Kardashian moobs.
    I never want to be that guy again.
    I keep my fat picture handy to keep green that terrible experience while placing my transformed fit picture close by.
    6cpuh1txfuzp.jpg
  • JustineScott26
    JustineScott26 Posts: 4 Member
    Pray.

<3
  • danikat19
    danikat19 Posts: 8 Member
    Hi I just am staring on my fitness pal but I find it's helpful to share exactly what you eat every day and not leave anything out! Pick a friend or someone on here to do it with! I'm always up for it as I also struggle with self control
  • missmince
    missmince Posts: 76 Member
    The diet scrapbook is a great idea! I'll give it a go. I don't actually have anyone who wants me to reach my goal weight and fitness level, so I have to rely on myself.

I reward myself with doing/buying something I've wanted for a while when I've followed my monthly workout rotation and eaten pretty well. I decide in advance, write it on my calender, and it helps motivate me a bit.