Eating Fat without eating too many calories

Options
Albertomarr
Albertomarr Posts: 21 Member
edited August 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi all! I am doing a metabolic diet (carbs discharge for 5 days, carbs recharge for 2).
Besides the protein daily intake, I should also eat Fats (of course better the unsaturated ones), but I noticed that I end up eating lots more proteins than fats, or I will exceed easily the daily calories.
Any tips on how to get fats without peaking the calories up?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Well there are 9 cals per gram so you need tight portion control on nuts, cheese, mayo etc.
  • Albertomarr
    Options
    Yes I think I struggle to keep the balance between feel filled up and nutrients. Still I exceed in proteins :s
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Protein and carbs are 4 calories to the gram, fat is 9 calories to the gram. You can see that it's easy to rack up more calories with fat.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Add extra dressings to your salad, use a dip for veggies, add cheese to a burger patty or eggs, use heavy whipping cream or coconut cream from a can in your coffee.

And never forget bacon!
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Why are you worried if your protein intake is higher? Unless you have kidney or liver failure don't worry about it.
  • neversummer589
    neversummer589 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    robertf57 wrote: »
    Why are you worried if your protein intake is higher? Unless you have kidney or liver failure don't worry about it.

Confused as well, dont worry about your protein levels.. If you lower carbs, ensure you get enough protein to retain muscle mass.. Am i missing something? Please let us know
  • Albertomarr
    Options
    I red that in the metabolic diet I should calculate the calories intake splitting the nutrients by: low carbs (intuitive), calculate the right daily protein intake (different ways to calculate, say 2 grams for each Kg weight, in my case 120 grams per day), the other should be fat. Which will make me daily fat intake quite high. Am I wrong?
  • catbhn21
    catbhn21 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Just eat avocados by the handful! Be generous with cooking oil when you saute vegetables. Opt for delicious full fat yogurt...I'm making myself hungry. I like your diet :)
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    There is no real reason to limit protein. If the fat calories are more than you would like, feel free to eat more protein.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I red that in the metabolic diet I should calculate the calories intake splitting the nutrients by: low carbs (intuitive), calculate the right daily protein intake (different ways to calculate, say 2 grams for each Kg weight, in my case 120 grams per day), the other should be fat. Which will make me daily fat intake quite high. Am I wrong?
    Maybe eat saturated fats -- meats with fats.
    (Otherwise, this is a little too complicated.) What are the two main goals here? :grey_question::grey_question:

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    What is your calorie goal per day? You can always do the math.

Say you need 2000 calories daily. If you have 80 carbs (you mentioned low carbs) and 150 protein then at 4 calories each that's 920. Leaving 1080 for fat, or 1080/9 = 120 grams fat.

I don't know if this would be a good plan for you or not, just showing you the math. Intuitively speaking, if you go low carb then your fat AND protein are both likely to be higher than someone who has a moderate amount of carbs daily.

But yes, as you've noticed if you limit your carbs AND protein, then your fat # will be quite high. But that's why others are saying: no need to limit your protein.
  • Albertomarr
    Options
    My goal is to get leaner and reduce the body fat. I want to train my body to get energy from body fat rather than from muscles) which happens if you stay for long periods with low carbs) . So I will alternate 5 days carbs discharge (30-40 grams) with 2 days carbs recharge (240 grams).

Yes I definitely need to do the math better and choose the right food. Because it's not easy to be high in fat not staying within the calory goal and not being hungry.

I am probably choosing the wrong food. That's why during the discharge days I end up having more protein than fat (50% P, 40% F) , rather than the opposite (30% P, 60%F)

I like the idea of eating more avocado, oils in a salad and more fat meat.

Thank you guys really helpful! :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Avocados and nuts.
  • earthnut
    earthnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    My goal is to get leaner and reduce the body fat.
    Lift weights to maintain muscle while losing weight.