Can I Run When I Have Severe Fibromyalgia?

Options
I have fibromyalgia (a chronic pain disease you can read about here: http://www.fmaware.org/fm-fact-sheet.html ), but I would LOVE to start running again.

I was a runner for years in my younger days (teens through mid-20s), but since developing Fibro, every day is a waking pain nightmare that is so severe I have had to stop working because I am physically unable to perform on my feet or seated for hours at a time.

I'd love to hear if any of you who also have fibromyalgia have continued running or started running, and perhaps hear any advice on the subject.

Replies

• nikkohli
    nikkohli Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia and I run :) Feel free to messge me!
  • lookin4gains
    lookin4gains Posts: 1,762 Member
    Options
    Running actually helps my flare - ups when those great storms roll in. Not nearly in as much pain. Although I don't have a severe case.
  • VictoriaMarie2468
    VictoriaMarie2468 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have fibro and arthritis, and enjoyed running for months, problem-free, but I'm experiencing a flare up that is draining me of all energy. I really don't know how to push through, or if it's even a good idea with the extent of my inflammation. Any advice?
  • Tyke2410
    Tyke2410 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Can recommend using a cross trainer if you're not quite confident enough to run just yet - my fibromyalgia symptoms have improved dramatically and am just about summoning the courage to re-introduce the impact
  • freak4iron
    freak4iron Posts: 995 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but fibromyalgia is a nerve condition, so I see no reason why running wouldn't be a GOOD thing for your condition.

I had stroke that left me with some unbareable nerve pain in my arm, and I decided to start running again. I don't think its a coincidence that the pain and movement has improved 10 fold! I say go for it worse that can happen is you'll hurt more if it doesn't help then don't do it, by I see no reason why you wouldn't benefit from it.

Just take it slow and push yourself a little more each day.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    It depends. I don't run anymore; it proved to be too much to run AND lift, and so I chose lifting. But even with lifting there are times when I can't. Figuring out when to push through and when to lay off is the hardest part. At least for me, no activity is bad and too much activity is bad. There's a sweet spot in the middle. To make things more complicated, it's not always the same. Last year lifting for an hour 4 days per week and walking for an hour most days was the sweet spot. Right now lifting 2-3 days per week for an hour and walking 2-3 hours per week is the sweet spot.

Best advice I can give you is to build up slowly. Start with just a little bit of activity and then gradually increase as long as you're still feeling well. Be flexible, and don't compare yourself to people who aren't chronically ill.
  • TShultz69
    TShultz69 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It depends. I don't run anymore; it proved to be too much to run AND lift, and so I chose lifting. But even with lifting there are times when I can't. Figuring out when to push through and when to lay off is the hardest part. At least for me, no activity is bad and too much activity is bad. There's a sweet spot in the middle. To make things more complicated, it's not always the same. Last year lifting for an hour 4 days per week and walking for an hour most days was the sweet spot. Right now lifting 2-3 days per week for an hour and walking 2-3 hours per week is the sweet spot.

Best advice I can give you is to build up slowly. Start with just a little bit of activity and then gradually increase as long as you're still feeling well. Be flexible, and don't compare yourself to people who aren't chronically ill.

I agree! Great advice.
    I have moderate fibro and have just recently started working out again (I am 45 and have been running for most of my adult life up until 2 years ago). I find that I am in no more pain when I work out or run, in fact I feel better! I am starting slowly and I am enjoying the "pain" of a good workout which is very different than the pain from fibro. I totally agree that the key is to start very slowly. I would also strongly suggest incorporating yoga into your exercise program. It has helped me immensely to manage my pain and increase my strength and flexibility. Your mind and body will love it. :)
  • busymomma7
    busymomma7 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'd give it a try and see what you can do. Fibro sucks and ispainful but it doesn't lead to any damage or other health complications so in my opinion there is no harm in trying. Might even help? Also, stay well hydrated.
  • busymomma7
    busymomma7 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you have arthritis then check with the rheumatologist first.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    freak4iron wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but fibromyalgia is a nerve condition, so I see no reason why running wouldn't be a GOOD thing for your condition.
    No it is not a nerve condition, it is a muscular condition.

• SimplyMicheleR
    SimplyMicheleR Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Just plan crash days after you start. Post exertional malaise may kick your *kitten* when you start back up. Do not push yourself too much when you start.

Fibro is classified as a nerve condition, but the pain felt is muscular and often joint pain. Different people feel it in different ways. we have differences (that can be seen in MRIs) in the way that our brain processes pain, and most of us also require longer to recover from exertion of any kind.

But exercise DOES help, so it is worth doing, big time. If running is what brings you joy, go for it!
  • dancindoc508
    dancindoc508 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    The best treatment for fibromyalgia is more activity!!