Split workout plan

Options
Hello. The plans I've found online are weird or they want me to do 10 different exercises each day (I get worn out easily since I lift heavy). Any good split weight lifting workouts out there??

Replies

• AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Any reason why you want a split?

Why not try a full body program like:
    - Stronglifts 5x5
    - ICF 5x5
    - Strong curves
    - New rules for lifting women
  • harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I prefer splits as well, because I like to lift heavy also. I take my plans from bodybuilding.com and tweak them as necessary. Usually 8 exercises (excluding warm ups), and I like to superset them. The last program I did was this: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bikini-body-workout-4-weeks-to-your-best-body.html?searchterm=4 weeks to

and I did it for 8 weeks because I enjoyed it so much. Then I came back down to the 8-10 rep range using the same/similar routine
  • LolaKarwowski
    LolaKarwowski Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »
    Any reason why you want a split?

Why not try a full body program like:
    - Stronglifts 5x5
    - ICF 5x5
    - Strong curves
    - New rules for lifting women

I don't like full body workouts. But thank you.
  • LolaKarwowski
    Options
    I prefer splits as well, because I like to lift heavy also. I take my plans from bodybuilding.com and tweak them as necessary. Usually 8 exercises (excluding warm ups), and I like to superset them. The last program I did was this: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bikini-body-workout-4-weeks-to-your-best-body.html?searchterm=4 weeks to

and I did it for 8 weeks because I enjoyed it so much. Then I came back down to the 8-10 rep range using the same/similar routine

Definitely checking this one out. I've heard of bodybuilding.com but those usually want me to do many workouts for one part of the body and I get worn out easily.
  • harlequin0318
    Options

Definitely checking this one out. I've heard of bodybuilding.com but those usually want me to do many workouts for one part of the body and I get worn out easily.

Well if you're getting fatigued, then you're doing it right. Typically I don't spend more than 1 hour in the gym, and I try to keep my cardio separate (if I do it at all)

Or, you might be getting fatigued due to a health problem?
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Can you post up some examples of what you've been looking at.

And isn't getting fatigued kind of the aim? I don't mean crawling out on your hands and knees, but if you don't feel some fatigue then you aren't lifting hard enough.

Are you fueling up and hydrating properly prior to your work out?
  • LolaKarwowski
    Options
    I don't believe I have a health problem.

I usually start off strong but by the end of my workout I'm either too tired to finish the last 1-2 exercises or if I try them I can't go as heavy as I would had I not just done 8 other exercises. I hope that makes sense.

This is where I got my last workout plan: http://cdn.muscleforlife.com/wp-content/uploads/freebooks/FNS.pdf

He has me split my days like this:

Workout Plan
    Day 1: Chest & Calves
    Day 2: Back & Butt & Abs
    Day 3: Shoulders & Calves
    Day 4: Arms & Abs
    Day 5: Legs & Butt

I went through one week and I just felt awkward doing deadlifts + squats on the same day. I always considered deadlifts a back workout but for some reason he had me doing them on leg day. I mean I got what I wanted (less exercises) but it just didn't feel right.

So here I am :)

I'm about to read the plan you posted @harlequin0318 ! Title sounds good!
  • earthnut
    earthnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I just made my own. The basic split is
    Day 1: upper body
    Day 2: lower body

For a three day split it would be upper/core&back/lower.

I had a list of exercises i wanted to do and i split them up in a two day split. Since I'm a beginner, I kept it simple. 3 upper body exercises, 3 lower body exercises.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I just transitioned to Crossfit, but prior to that I was doing a 4-day split with a 5th day upper body only day (I didn't want to just hit each upper body part once a week) and a 6th day for cardio. For the 4-day split, I had an A and B version with slightly different exercises (too many good ones to pick from) and each week I alternated to keep things fresh. Below is a sample of the split and exercises. Generally where you 2 exercise with an "or" I'm showing you both major lifts, one of which would have been in my A split, and the other in my B split. For example, if I did Deadlift on Back Day, on the Upper Body only day I'd do the Barbell Row (and vice versa).

My goal was to have a routine I could get done in 60-75 minutes. Each day I tried to focus on just a few key exercises to hit each body part for the day. My sets and reps would vary with my goal being a total of 24-30 good working reps per exercise (i.e. 3x10, or 3x8, 5x5, etc.). I always added a Treadmill finisher at the end, but switched up between running hills (incline/decline) and HIIT.

Day 1 - Chest/Triceps 1
    Dumbbell Incline Bench Press or Dumbbell Bench Press
    Dumbbell One Arm Bench Press or Dumbell One Arm Incline Press
    DIPS
    Push-ups
    Treadmill Finisher (Hills or HIIT)

Day 2 - Back/Bicep
    Deadlift or Barbell Bent Over Row
    Wide-grip Pull-ups or Close Grip Chin-ups
    Dumbbell One Arm Row
    Dumbbell Incline or Standing Curl
    Dumbbell Incline or Standing Hammer Curls

Day 3 - Shoulders
    Standing Barbell or Seated Dumbbell B Press
    Dumbbell Lateral Raise or Cable Lateral Raise
    Dumbbell Bent-over Reverse Flyes
    Weight Plate High Front Raise
    Dumbbell Shoulder Shrug

Day 4 - Legs
    Barbell Front or Back Squat
    Barbell Stiff-Legged Deadlift
    Dumbbell Walking Lunges or Step-ups
    Leg Extensions
    Seated or Standing Calf Raise

Day 5 – All Upper Body
    Dumbbell Bench Press
    Barbell Decline Bench Press
    Barbell Row or Barbell Deadlift
    Straight Arm Lat Pulldown
    Standing Barbell or Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press
    Dumbbell Alternate Bicep Curl
    Dumbbell Hammer Curl

Day 6 – Steady State (HR Zone 2) Cardio
    60 minutes - Treadmill
  • earthnut
    earthnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options

I usually start off strong but by the end of my workout I'm either too tired to finish the last 1-2 exercises or if I try them I can't go as heavy as I would had I not just done 8 other exercises. I hope that makes sense.

This is where I got my last workout plan: http://cdn.muscleforlife.com/wp-content/uploads/freebooks/FNS.pdf

Workout Plan

I went through one week and I just felt awkward doing deadlifts + squats on the same day. I always considered deadlifts a back workout but for some reason he had me doing them on leg day. I mean I got what I wanted (less exercises) but it just didn't feel right.

If you like the plan otherwise, just move deadlifts to back day and move something else to leg day.
  • harlequin0318
    Options

Workout Plan

My current plan has deadlifts on back day, because my other two legs days have SLDLs and squats, splitting to avoid all that spinal pressure is a great idea. And yes, by the last two exercises you should be feeling drained, you can lift lighter on those for sure, just break through that mental barrier to finish the whole workout - it feels great.

Take a plan and tweak it so it suits your needs :)