StrongLift Program for weight lose ?

Options
Hi,

I am like 255lbs diabetic and with little elevated cholesterol.

Have been doing Cardio+Strength(little) and Swimming both 5 times a week. I was like 280lbs and has dropped like 20+lbs in 7 months. My main problem is that after every 1 or 2 kg drops, the next kg takes a whole month OR even more to drop. It stuck so much.

Last night I was searching for some thing helpful for this - that not only give me a boost in weight lose but also put me in some shape , I found StrongLift 5x5 program.

I have some questions that i would like you people to help me with:
  1. Shall I do StrongLift 5x5 to reduce my weight, waist and get in shape ?
  2. At the moment I lift 4kgs (2x2) and 6kgs (3x2) dumbbell each hand. What weight shall I start with in StrongLift program ? Please specify for all the exercises.
  3. Any other idea/help that you can share that helps me to get through the weight lose plateau ?

Thanks a lot !

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    To follow up on rabbitjb-
    start with a weight you are comfortable with and concentrate on your form in the beginning.
    Watch videos on the lifts, or get a trainer at your gym to show you the correct form.
    Once you have form, progress your weights.

NB: I am not a heavy lifter, but do use correct posture, form and muscle activation, to the best of my ability using body weight and hand weights.

Cheers, h.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    If im not mistakes strong lifts start at 20kg+ for like the squats. But i'm sure you can lower it as far as you want.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I've been doing strong lifts for about 6 or 7 weeks and can definitely see differences in terms of toning and tightening up. I've lost a few inches/ounces as a result but I am pretty much in maintenance mode at this point. It's a great program! I began with just lifting the bars and then started adding weight. I have also decided to stay with the weights that I am at for the time being, not going any heavier. I want to maintain/increase strength but not continue to build. Once I got the form down and started increasing the weight I modified the program slightly to suit my needs. It's great and you should definitely give it a try :smiley:
  • zeeshanhashmi
    zeeshanhashmi Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Great - thank you all for the answers.

And what would you people suggest me to keep my weight going down and down and don't come up. It fluctuates too much. Sometimes I cant even see a drop of 0.5kg in 2 weeks. Does it mean that some how I am taking more calories ? I am using MyFitnessPal logs.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options

And what would you people suggest me to keep my weight going down and down and don't come up. It fluctuates too much. Sometimes I cant even see a drop of 0.5kg in 2 weeks. Does it mean that some how I am taking more calories ? I am using MyFitnessPal logs.

Do you weigh your food?
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options

Weight fluctuates. Not much you can do. Weigh your foods, be as accurate as possible.

I've had my weight change by 1-2kg over night.
  • zeeshanhashmi
    Options
    Humm, no I do not weigh my food - here in Pakistan foods are very complicated.

I usually count Cup / bowl thing. Like 1 cup cooked lentils, OR beans etc. 1 cup/bowl of salad. Things like that. I also eat 2 piece chicken breast that is 1 half of the breast sliced.

I daily do following -
    1. General Aerobic (Push ups, Burpees, Jumping Jack, Mountain Climbing, Squats etc)
    2. Weight Training of Shoulders, next day arms, next day legs, next day abs
    3. Also 5-6 days a week I do swimming (Freestyle) so 15-25 laps of 20meters - with 10 seconds to 1 minute rest after each lap.
    4. As per MyFitnessPal suggestion - I daily take 500-900 less calories.

And still, my weight is 116-117 range for the past 40 days.
  • misskarne
    Options
    That is very inaccurate. You can weigh the individual components - nothing you've listed sounds too complicated to weigh.
  • zeeshanhashmi
    Options
    Okay - I will weigh then. But can I get a good resource that takes my data and give me a very good meal plan based on weight ?
  • misskarne
    Options
    Okay - I will weigh then. But can I get a good resource that takes my data and give me a very good meal plan based on weight ?

I don't understand. Eat what you like, just less of it. If you weigh and log all of the components you can still hit goal. This can be a bit hit-and-miss at first, but gradually you get better at it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    You should look to your logging to lose weight. You should do SL 5x5, to help maintain muscle mass, while losing.