5k in 30mins PR

Options
2»

Replies

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I've been running races for decades, it has always worked out that between 8 minutes per mile and 9 minutes per mile is the average range for all ages.

My PR is 19 minutes and 38 seconds but I currently can barely go under 9 minutes per mile average. I set my PR about 30 years ago.

Since there are so many variables such as age, gender, and experience so that there is no normal. If you can run a 5K at 8 minutes per mile you will normally finish in the top 50% of the field.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I just started running a few months ago
    I'm thrilled with my 30 min 5k and 60min 10k

as you run, your time will likely improve. you are just building muscle and body awareness and gait now
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    And don't forget that temperature affects times pretty significantly. A 30min 5K in the heat of summer will be faster in cool weather.

Right now, my easy run pace is 11-12 min/mi because it's 90+ degrees. When the temps are 70-80, my easy pace is 9:30-10 min/mi. Huge difference.
  • dc1arkson
    dc1arkson Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    And don't forget that temperature affects times pretty significantly. A 30min 5K in the heat of summer will be faster in cool weather.

Right now, my easy run pace is 11-12 min/mi because it's 90+ degrees. When the temps are 70-80, my easy pace is 9:30-10 min/mi. Huge difference.

Ah this is very true!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

This is so true! I am short and 49 years old. I've never been fast. I live in Tucson and it's hot here right now; 82° and 65% humidity when I woke up at 5:30 for my run this morning with an expected high around 105°. During the winter I was easily pushing sub-10 minute miles. Right now I'm happy with 10:30 miles for a 5K and 11 minute miles for 10K. I know that once it cools down that I'll get faster again, though, probably even faster than I was this winter.
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    dc1arkson wrote: »
    DavPul wrote: »
    "normal"? "good"?

Yes normal as in I don't know what is a normal good time for a regular runner so I have something to aim for, sorry didn't think I explained it bad lol

I'll bite. If you are male, under 50, <220 lbs, and not injured, shoot for 22 min 5k, 47 min 10k.

I think anyone that can do a 5K is awesome, but if forced to nail down a time I'd say 30 mins is reasonable target for most people if they work at it.
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Don't focus on your time. Focus on finishing. Once you can finish, focus on being just a little faster the next time. And the time after that.

Dewd2 is right. Don't worry about your time right now. There is no "normal" time for a 5k run. Every runner is different depending on how long you've been a runner. I've been running seriously now for about 6 years and when I first started running, I couldn't even run a 5k without stopping a few times and it probably took me 40-45 minutes to run it. Now after running seriously for 6 years about 5-6 days a week, I now average a 10k anywhere between 41-44 minutes and my best half marathon is 1:33:20. My first half took me over 2 hours. You will get faster over time but until your cardio is up, don't even worry about it.
  • dc1arkson
    Options
    v999khfkvn9n.jpg
    Well I managed to shave a bit off tonight
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Are you running on a treadmill all the time (or am I not seeing your picture correctly)?
  • Pittleydink
    Pittleydink Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I know teenagers who run the 5Ks in my area can be as low as 15 or 16 minutes. They usually win all the 5k runs where I live. Most adults tend to be heavier and run somewhere between 20 to 30 minutes. 20 minutes is pretty fast for an adult, 30 minutes is probably about average.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I agree with Slainte831, everyone is different. Plus, "good" is subjective. Last year, I decided I wanted to try to improve my 5K time. Previously, I'd run in 33-34 minutes. So, I trained hard and then on race day, ran 100% of my ability. I was able to run in about 26:30. That became my benchmark. I decided to pick a personal goal of beating 25 minutes. It took me three tries, but last July, I ran a 23:31 5K. I actually just ran another today in 24:15 and placed 1st for my age group. It is entirely possible to improve your 5K time!

Some tips...

1. Run. Consistently. I run about 4-5 days per week, plus cross-train. I do a long run of anywhere from 6-10 miles once every week or every other week.
    2. Reserve your speed. You do not need/want to go out on all your training runs blazing fast. I promise, just put in the work of running at an easy/conversational pace. You can build in some speedwork or even better, hills, after you've been consistently running for awhile.
    3. Race more than once. I've found what has helped me become a better runner/racer is by simply racing more frequently. You learn how to pace yourself, push when needed, and compete. It's also nice knowing you've got lots of chances to reach your goal vs all your eggs in one race basket, so to speak.

Finally, BELIEVE you can run faster. I really had to change my mindset on this one last year! I made some mantras for myself like "I'm training to win" and "I'm strong." While this might sound corny, I really feel it made a difference. Goodness knows I've wasted so many years telling myself things like "I'm just here to finish" and "I'm slow."

Wow, I know that's a novel. I hope that helps. Bottom line, set a benchmark by running a race as hard as you can. Then, start making a reasonable next goal. Once you've met that one, make another. Good luck.

This is allllll great advice.
    One more thing that helped me was doing sprints once a week.
  • dc1arkson
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Are you running on a treadmill all the time (or am I not seeing your picture correctly)?

That picture is from the treadmill the other night but I run a lot outside too not track but mostly cross country/ path running. I seem to be faster not on the treadmill which is weird
  • dc1arkson
    Options
    I agree with Slainte831, everyone is different. Plus, "good" is subjective. Last year, I decided I wanted to try to improve my 5K time. Previously, I'd run in 33-34 minutes. So, I trained hard and then on race day, ran 100% of my ability. I was able to run in about 26:30. That became my benchmark. I decided to pick a personal goal of beating 25 minutes. It took me three tries, but last July, I ran a 23:31 5K. I actually just ran another today in 24:15 and placed 1st for my age group. It is entirely possible to improve your 5K time!

Some tips...

1. Run. Consistently. I run about 4-5 days per week, plus cross-train. I do a long run of anywhere from 6-10 miles once every week or every other week.
    2. Reserve your speed. You do not need/want to go out on all your training runs blazing fast. I promise, just put in the work of running at an easy/conversational pace. You can build in some speedwork or even better, hills, after you've been consistently running for awhile.
    3. Race more than once. I've found what has helped me become a better runner/racer is by simply racing more frequently. You learn how to pace yourself, push when needed, and compete. It's also nice knowing you've got lots of chances to reach your goal vs all your eggs in one race basket, so to speak.

Finally, BELIEVE you can run faster. I really had to change my mindset on this one last year! I made some mantras for myself like "I'm training to win" and "I'm strong." While this might sound corny, I really feel it made a difference. Goodness knows I've wasted so many years telling myself things like "I'm just here to finish" and "I'm slow."

Wow, I know that's a novel. I hope that helps. Bottom line, set a benchmark by running a race as hard as you can. Then, start making a reasonable next goal. Once you've met that one, make another. Good luck.

This is allllll great advice.
    One more thing that helped me was doing sprints once a week.

I have been trying HIIT sprints and hill running too which is a killer For me lol