Healthy Dessert, anyone?

Options
gerriburn
gerriburn Posts: 3 Member
Im going to put myself out here. I love food, particularly desserts. I have been experimenting with different dessert recipes where I switched some ingredients with healthier alternative I.e. Protein powder, etc. However, I pretty much failed at almost everything with exception of my Madeleine cookies. I've been following all these fitness instagram and Pinterest pages to no avail (I think they're lying with their recipes). Does anybody have any dessert recipe that they can share? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• andyluvv
    andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Pinterest is a good way to start, but it might be best checking YouTube - one of my favourites is Mind Over Munch. Check it out - there are tons of channels like that on YouTube :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK38acpmf7Y
  • ScreeField
    ScreeField Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Two resources that come to mind for interesting examples of how to modify traditional dessert recipes are:

1. Forks Over Knives The Cookbook. There are around 30 dessert recipes in it. Their focus is plant-based, low sugar (although, they do use maple syrup).
    2. Thug Kitchen--while not focused on "nutrition" necessarily, they have some unique ideas for replacing all of the cream and butter in dessert recipes.

I found copies of both at my library.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    one of my favorites is quite simply
    fruit/whip cream
    better yet, grill the fruit and maybe add honey
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    21ere4o.jpg
  • stevieraynicks2015
    stevieraynicks2015 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My go to dessert is ...
    1/2 C Vanilla Frozen Yogurt
    1/4 C Sliced Strawberries
    1 Banana Sliced
    1 TBS Hershey's Chocolate syrup drizzled over top
    1 TBS Grape Nuts sprinkled on top
    -of course you can chose your favorite flavors/fruits. Simple and delish!

• bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Just make a fruit smoothie with frozen fruit. Tons of volume for low calories and you can add protein powders, nuts, oats, extracts, milk, etc.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I love these. They're healthy but not low in calories.

http://detoxinista.com/2014/07/the-healthiest-cookies-ever-paleo-vegan/
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    Go to you-tube- and type in weight watcher girl desserts. she has many low calorie excellent desserts-Also hungry girl has some good low cal desserts as well .
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Diet soda cake and Halo Top ice cream would be my current go to to fight my sweet tooth!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I like peanut butter mixed with a little maple syrup. Also, layer plain greek yogurt, berries and Bran Buds cereal in a parfait glass.
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    My latest go to for an after dinner treat:
    Strawberry 0% greek yogurt, 1/2 banana, drizzle choc syrup.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    its not exactly healthy but i like getting sorbet from menchies or yogurtys and topping it with all the fruit ,bobba & nuts

a healthy easy desserty snack is stuffing peanut butter in some dates A +

nice cream of course is a healthy dessert mmm

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Arctic Zero makes ice cream that's really tasty and super low calorie. It does have a very slight maple taste, so if that's not your thing, you probably won't like it. But if you like maple, it's good stuff. Skinny Cow stuff is actually pretty good too.

I dunno what else, I don't actually do much for desserts anymore. I kinda burned out on them working in a bakery for a while, so when I started losing weight, I just don't think to add them normally. Not that I won't enjoy one eating out, if I ever have room left for it! But I tend to buy ready-made things instead of making them. It's easier for me to control my portions.
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    It's not really a recipe, but can't go wrong with a good old fashioned plain vanilla ice cream.
  • catbhn21
    catbhn21 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I like peanut butter mixed with a little maple syrup.

Have you ever made peanut butter balls? It was one of my favorite snacks as a kid--pb with dry nonfat milk and honey or syrup. Dry milk makes it not sticky and ups the protein amount.
  • DvrDawg
    DvrDawg Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I like to make a frozen protein shake - it's like a milkshake but only about 300 calories, fruit and protein powder -and, you make various flavors. Just get some protein powder (I use Vanilla, chocolate or Fruit Punch), then get some Chobani flavored yogurt, add frozen fruit, scoop of protein powder and some ice - and, maybe some splenda or sweetnlow. So, if you want a Pineapple Protein Shake - Chobani Pineapple Greek Yogurt, 1 scoop of Vanilla protein powder, one packet of splenda, frozen pineapple and about 6 cubes of ice. You can make peach, chocolate, blueberry, strawberry, mixed berry - I have even done watermelon - lots of variety and I enjoy them after a hard workout.
  • zira91
    zira91 Posts: 670 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    ive tried most of her snacks and deserts recipes and everything turns out good and so delicious! not to mention quite easy..

https://youtu.be/arTWJRBPe7Y
  • chloeelizabethm
    chloeelizabethm Posts: 184 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I recently discovered a saffron and honey mousse.

For two portions use one egg white and put 15 strands of saffron in, after half an hour put the egg white through a sieve to get out the saffron strands and whisk until you get soft peaks. Mix together 140g of greek yoghurt with 20g of honey then fold in the egg whites, split between two vessels and top with crushed pistachios or nut of your choosing!

117 calories, 8g protein :)
  • PACIFICHIKER
    PACIFICHIKER Posts: 4 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Strawberries in a bowl, lightly drizzle on agave nectar (a little goes a long way)
  • Brin1956
    Brin1956 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I make fruit pancakes. Like tonight I made apple pancakes with chunks of apple and apple pie spices. I serve them with a big dollop of whipping cream, so good. I have to use my supper carbs but worth it. I also make blueberry and banana. You can do diet pudding, diet jello too. Pumpkin custard is good too with all the spices.