I need advise!!!!

Options
Been dieting and working out with a trainer. The diet came from my trainer. Been at it for 2 months now and haven't dropped a single pound. I am feeling so frustrated. I have lost some inches but not enough. Am i not eating enough? My calorie intake is around 1300-1500. And I exercise 2x a day. I burn about 500 calories per workout. Am I missing something?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Hey Erin, answer these questions and we can see where you're going wrong maybe;
    • Are you using an electric food scale?
    • Are you weighing accurately? i.e. using grams instead of cups
    • How are you obtaining your calorie burns? MFP, HRM or machines?

And also, what sort of exercises are you doing? Cardio or resistance training? If it's resistance training, are you using a HRM for that?

Edit; checked your diary and I am seeing a lot of cups and tbsp... tighten up on your logging by using an electric scale for everything.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    ur not in deficit i.e eating moe than you think and burning less. See above.
  • ErinMartin31
    ErinMartin31 Posts: 13 Member
    Options

And also, what sort of exercises are you doing? Cardio or resistance training? If it's resistance training, are you using a HRM for that?

Edit; checked your diary and I am seeing a lot of cups and tbsp... tighten up on your logging by using an electric scale for everything.

I typically do weigh my food (meats). And measure the rest. I will get more strict with it.

I have a Fitbit charge hr that keeps track of my heart rate. Am I eating too many calories or not enough? I never eat back what I burn.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

I typically do weigh my food (meats). And measure the rest. I will get more strict with it.

I have a Fitbit charge hr that keeps track of my heart rate. Am I eating too many calories or not enough? I never eat back what I burn.

If you are not losing, you are eating at maintenance. So, since you do not use a food scale for everything it means probably underestimating what you eat. Either get more accurate in your logging or keep logging as you do and try eating 200-300 calories less for the next couple of weeks.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options

Well if you're wearing it for weight lifting... then chances are you're eating too much. HRM's are designed for steady rate cardio - not lifting.

Does the FitBit Charge HR use a strap? If you're wearing it for steady rate cardio, you should be eating back 50-75% of your exercise calories back.
    • Weigh more accurately - I'd like to see more grams instead of cups and tbsps etc
    • Wear the FitBit Charge HR for steady rate cardio only - remove it for lifting
    • Eat back 50-75% of your exercise calories for cardio (log it in MFP if it's HIIT etc and eat back 50%)
  • ErinMartin31
    ErinMartin31 Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Well if you're wearing it for weight lifting... then chances are you're eating too much. HRM's are designed for steady rate cardio - not lifting.

Does the FitBit Charge HR use a strap? If you're wearing it for steady rate cardio, you should be eating back 50-75% of your exercise calories back.
    • Weigh more accurately - I'd like to see more grams instead of cups and tbsps etc
    • Wear the FitBit Charge HR for steady rate cardio only - remove it for lifting
    • Eat back 50-75% of your exercise calories for cardio (log it in MFP if it's HIIT etc and eat back 50%)

Ok, I will work on that ...... Thanks!
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Along with being more accurate with your food log by weighing, make sure that you are also being accurate by using the right entries in the database. There are quite a few inaccurate ones on there. Some are off by a few calories, others are off by a few hundred. This thread will help you find the correct ones and tell you which ones to avoid:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary?
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Been dieting and working out with a trainer. The diet came from my trainer. Been at it for 2 months now and haven't dropped a single pound.

Am I missing something?

Exercise for fitness; log to lose weight.

b6zfrkyervv5.jpg
  • garrew0005
    garrew0005 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Been dieting and working out with a trainer. The diet came from my trainer. Been at it for 2 months now and haven't dropped a single pound. I am feeling so frustrated. I have lost some inches but not enough. Am i not eating enough? My calorie intake is around 1300-1500. And I exercise 2x a day. I burn about 500 calories per workout. Am I missing something?

Erin, Not sure what your calorie goal might be or how fast you are trying to lose, but another thought that I don't see mentioned here is the fact that muscle does weigh more than fat. If you are training hard and assuming you are allowing recovery time from your training, you may be replacing fat with muscle so not seeing the weight loss you might want (you lost inches but no pounds). Just a thought... I'm doing jujutsu, yoga, weight lifting, bike riding. Counting calories always works for me, my biggest calorie intake normally at breakfast than tapering off later in the day. If I have a calorie deficit at the end of the day I may have that 'snack or your choice'.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    garrew0005 wrote: »

Erin, Not sure what your calorie goal might be or how fast you are trying to lose, but another thought that I don't see mentioned here is the fact that muscle does weigh more than fat. If you are training hard and assuming you are allowing recovery time from your training, you may be replacing fat with muscle so not seeing the weight loss you might want (you lost inches but no pounds). Just a thought... I'm doing jujutsu, yoga, weight lifting, bike riding. Counting calories always works for me, my biggest calorie intake normally at breakfast than tapering off later in the day. If I have a calorie deficit at the end of the day I may have that 'snack or your choice'.

Nope. A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat and there is no way you're gaining significant amounts of muscle while eating at a deficit.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    garrew0005 wrote: »

No... 1lb of muscle = 1lb of fat. Muscle has more density than fat...

It's pretty hard for someone to unintentionally gain a lot of muscle and trade it off at the same time as fat loss...

The amount of time it takes to gain 1lb of muscle is a lot longer than it takes to lose 1lb of fat... think about it.