Stick with my trainer's routine or...?

Options
Hi all! :) I recently joined a gym (about 2 months ago) to start lifting, and I absolutely love it. My gym offers free personal training, so I've been working with a PT since day 1 - my only issue is that the weights aren't really going up much in the sessions. My deadlift is up to 50kg (5 x 5 reps) , bench 40kg (for 2 reps only though), and I have yet to have a squat session when the weight really goes above 25-30kg (front squats normally).

I FEEL like I've got a lot more to give, and I'm tempted to try and make my trainer up the weights, but at the same time I don't know a lot about lifting, and do trust his advice.

Suggestions anyone? Thanks :)

Note - My stats are female, height - 5 foot 4, weight - 69kg, age 18. Thanks!

Replies

• piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    How much are the weights increasing and how often?
    Are they making sure you're getting the sets and reps in with good form before adding weights? Some other system?
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I think if you like your trainer and the weight is the only issue then I'd just have the conversation with him. Perhaps mention that you have looked at strong lifts or something similar and you've seen how they recommend upping the weight at every session, see what he says.

I have the opposite problem. I like to follow the programmes to the letter and if it says lift 35kg I will lift 35kg, even if I know I can lift more. One of the PT's always laughs at me and believes in lifting heavy all the time. As far as I am concerned it's 'time under pressure' so it makes as much sense to lift a lighter weight for more reps. I have done various programmes that will mix up lighter and heavier weights. I've just started Wendler 531 today
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I would talk to your trainer and ask what his thoughts are on it.
  • sophzhr
    sophzhr Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    How much are the weights increasing and how often?
    Are they making sure you're getting the sets and reps in with good form before adding weights? Some other system?

I'm pretty sure my form is good - he's put a lot of emphasis on it, and we've worked at low weights repeatedly so it didn't take long for me to get it down.

In terms of sets/reps, it's a little hard for me to track, since he doesn't seem to be following a strict program or anything - sometimes it's 5x5 (usually with deadlifts), and then other times with bench press or military press he'll make me do as few as 3 sets of 2 reps.

Honestly though it's only the squats which I'm not happy with - one workout I did 10 sets of 10 reps with 25kg, which was really challenging for sure, but I'm still not seeing the weight go up :(
  • sophzhr
    Options
    kindrabbit wrote: »
    I think if you like your trainer and the weight is the only issue then I'd just have the conversation with him. Perhaps mention that you have looked at strong lifts or something similar and you've seen how they recommend upping the weight at every session, see what he says.

I have the opposite problem. I like to follow the programmes to the letter and if it says lift 35kg I will lift 35kg, even if I know I can lift more. One of the PT's always laughs at me and believes in lifting heavy all the time. As far as I am concerned it's 'time under pressure' so it makes as much sense to lift a lighter weight for more reps. I have done various programmes that will mix up lighter and heavier weights. I've just started Wendler 531 today

Thanks, I've been thinking of mentioning Strong Lifts/Starting Strength to him; or at least bring it up, but I was unsure whether how he's training me is actually as good/normal as the programs above...

I guess we're all a bit different with it - my PT seems to be similar to you in that he rarely works me to failure or anything (which when I'm alone is very much my style haha :wink: ) but I've seen progress with the lighter weights too, so I'm torn. I don't want to change my trainer's plan if it's more than adequate :neutral:
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Post up your trainers plan so we can take a look.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    sophzhr wrote: »
    kindrabbit wrote: »

Thanks, I've been thinking of mentioning Strong Lifts/Starting Strength to him; or at least bring it up, but I was unsure whether how he's training me is actually as good/normal as the programs above...

I guess we're all a bit different with it - my PT seems to be similar to you in that he rarely works me to failure or anything (which when I'm alone is very much my style haha :wink: ) but I've seen progress with the lighter weights too, so I'm torn. I don't want to change my trainer's plan if it's more than adequate :neutral:

Then I think you simply need to ask him what his plan is. it's motivational to know what is expected of you.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    You are a beginner from what I am reading. If so you should take advantage of the newbie gains and start doing a linear progression and add weight every session. There is a reason that 3x5 and 5x5 linear programs exist for beginners; they work well and will make you stronger.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I'm failing to see the question here. You would like more weight on the bar, so put more weight on the bar.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Are you just doing front squats (sounds like it from your description)? First, 25-30 kg on fronts is pretty decent, but is there any way to incorporate low-bar or high-bar back squats? You generally can lift more weight and it activates more of the hams/glutes than fronts do.

In my limited experience, my trainer would only have me to front squats after I got my high-bar back sets done, and it was my high-bar ones where I progressed linearly on weights. I didn't progress nearly as much or as quickly on my front squats. Maybe see if you can incorporate back squats?
  • marcelo_templario
    marcelo_templario Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    If you feel you're not training enough why don't you try running? when out of the gym.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    If you feel you're not training enough why don't you try running? when out of the gym.

Wrong thread
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm a little confused.

You're wanting to up the weights of the lifts you are doing right now? (i.e. you bench 50, you want to bench 55)

Or do you mean you want to do more lifts? (i.e. you bench, deadlift and squat but you'd like to do other things as well)

If it's the first, your trainer should be increasing your weights as you progress. If you feel like things are too easy, tell him.

If it's the second and you want a new routine, there's a thread that suggests programs.
  • sophzhr
    Options
    shor0814 wrote: »
    You are a beginner from what I am reading. If so you should take advantage of the newbie gains and start doing a linear progression and add weight every session. There is a reason that 3x5 and 5x5 linear programs exist for beginners; they work well and will make you stronger.

This was my intention when I joined a gym, and is why I'm questioning my PT - I'd like to put more weight on the bar every session when I can, but as I am new to lifting, I didn't feel confident in overriding my PT. I have decided to bring it up with him though.
  • sophzhr
    Options
    Are you just doing front squats (sounds like it from your description)? First, 25-30 kg on fronts is pretty decent, but is there any way to incorporate low-bar or high-bar back squats? You generally can lift more weight and it activates more of the hams/glutes than fronts do.

In my limited experience, my trainer would only have me to front squats after I got my high-bar back sets done, and it was my high-bar ones where I progressed linearly on weights. I didn't progress nearly as much or as quickly on my front squats. Maybe see if you can incorporate back squats?

Predominantly front squats, yes. I have done back squats a few times (and I find them a lot easier for obvious reasons), but usually my PT has me do front squats. That may be why he hasn't upped the weight much for me then?
  • sophzhr
    Options
    terar21 wrote: »
    Well, I'm a little confused.

You're wanting to up the weights of the lifts you are doing right now? (i.e. you bench 50, you want to bench 55)

Or do you mean you want to do more lifts? (i.e. you bench, deadlift and squat but you'd like to do other things as well)

If it's the first, your trainer should be increasing your weights as you progress. If you feel like things are too easy, tell him.

If it's the second and you want a new routine, there's a thread that suggests programs.

Yep, the former :) I will let him know, I just wanted to ask in the forums for opinions on whether it was common for progressions to be this slow/whether it would be advisable to just follow my PT's plan for the time being instead of asking him to change it up a bit. I'm lucky that he gives me quite a bit of variety.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Has this always been your goal, to train for strength? Does your trainer know that? If it's a new goal, why don't you tell her/him about the change in your goal? Your trainer should be programming you for YOUR goals not theirs.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    sophzhr wrote: »
    Hi all! :) I recently joined a gym (about 2 months ago) to start lifting, and I absolutely love it. My gym offers free personal training, so I've been working with a PT since day 1 - my only issue is that the weights aren't really going up much in the sessions. My deadlift is up to 50kg (5 x 5 reps) , bench 40kg (for 2 reps only though), and I have yet to have a squat session when the weight really goes above 25-30kg (front squats normally).

I FEEL like I've got a lot more to give, and I'm tempted to try and make my trainer up the weights, but at the same time I don't know a lot about lifting, and do trust his advice.

Suggestions anyone? Thanks :)

Note - My stats are female, height - 5 foot 4, weight - 69kg, age 18. Thanks!

talk directly to your trainer about any concerns,just like you would to anyone in life that you are paying for professional advice.

• christch
    christch Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Talk to your trainer get him to explain his program re the weight increments. I've worked with a trainer for months and wasn't sure about my program and why some weeks there were gains and not others. It turned out to be about building the strength within sets/reps, and 90%of 1Rep Max. Sometimes you need to do more reps at low weights and when growing muscle or going through period of strength building lower reps at high weight. Read through Starting Strength or 5x5 program, even some of threads on Bodybuilding.com have valuable info regarding frequency, reps,sets etc.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I would just ask him.

I have been working with a trainer for 18 months now. He's a competitive bodybuilder. I don't add weight every session, but no session is the same. We might do high reps, low weight...or high weight, low reps. He might have me use low weight, but hold the contraction for 8-10 seconds, or low weight under band tension. No doubt about it, I'm getting stronger and leaner.