are squats harder being tall

Options
2»

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Ha ha ha. I never thought about this. :) With longer levers, it may be harder. The best approach would be to strengthen your quads, hamstrings and glutes so you don't put so much stress on your knees.
  • freeza12
    freeza12 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Yeah, length is proportional to force if you're looking at moments from a physics point of view, so of course the taller you are the more force you have to push. Don't listen to the 'angle' brigade hahahaa what the hell does that mean?

You put the same weight on a see-saw in the middle of one side or at the end, which is harder to push down? It's all relative.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    90 degree angle is a 90 degree angle

If they have longer limbs they have longer muscles

Squats are just generally hard..they're supposed to be ...look at all the muscles they're using...and if they get easy, add more weight and adapt them
    Its not just about the angle. It's also about leverage and proportions and how far the weight has to be moved.

What about relative size of muscles though ...surely that's compensatory?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

Squats are just generally hard..they're supposed to be ...look at all the muscles they're using...and if they get easy, add more weight and adapt them
    Its not just about the angle. It's also about leverage and proportions and how far the weight has to be moved.

In an absolute sense, but not in a relative sense. People don't scale up precisely. An adult isn't just a larger sized child. A 6'9" guy isn't just a scaled up 5'9" guy. It's sort of the square-cube law and why ants are so relatively strong compared to humans but are much weaker in an absolute sense. Just having more or bigger muscles isn't enough to keep relative strength the same because they don't scale quickly enough relative to body size/volume.
  • freeza12
    freeza12 Posts: 33 Member
    Options

Yes, but you're still lifting through a larger range of motion, with longer lever arms, so the force would be larger.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

In an absolute sense, but not in a relative sense. People don't scale up precisely. An adult isn't just a larger sized child. A 6'9" guy isn't just a scaled up 5'9" guy. It's sort of the square-cube law and why ants are so relatively strong compared to humans but are much weaker in an absolute sense. Just having more or bigger muscles isn't enough to keep relative strength the same because they don't scale quickly enough relative to body size/volume.

I've seen your burns ...I'd swap you for my squatting ability :bigsmile:
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

I've seen your burns ...I'd swap you for my squatting ability :bigsmile:
    Oh, no. There are some disadvantages to being tall, but I'm not trying to impress anyone with my mad squatting skills anyway, so that wouldn't be a good trade.

• EmmaCaz4
    EmmaCaz4 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm quite short but can squat quite well. But I have issues with my knees. I've found definitely strapping them helps and getting tips from PT's on technique and positioning of feet. Also found I can squat better without shoes on. All down to personal opinion on height and whether other things work. Try changing technique slightly, including straps, moving the bar from top of your shoulders to a couple of inches further down your back (Apparently taller people find this easier as it keeps your body in more of a straight line)
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    mfm143 wrote: »
    I'm 5'8 with very long femurs compared to rest of my body

This is me too.

Tagging to watch the video when I get home.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    jepatton22 wrote: »
    I started doing squats and struggle a lot with them. I noticed shorter girls doing a lot more weight with ease. I'm 6'4" and have to bend my knees a lot more. Any other tall ladies struggle with this or do I just have weak legs lol

I don't know. I'm 5 ft 5, which is not tall or short, and I do them fine, but they're not easy.

You're a girl and 6 ft 4? That is so cool! :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

I agree with this.