8 days, not one darn pound

Options
Feeling very discouraged right now. Measured, worked out moderately and ate pretty healthy with the exception of one day. Expected at least a 2 lb loss, but nothing..... I know it's what's in the long run that counts but I still feel very discouraged.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    It's been 8 days...you have to give it more time. While you're being patient this week to see a loss, work on making sure your diary is as accurate as possible.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    It's only been 8 days. As you only have 20lbs to lose a healthy rate of loss would be 0.5lb per week. Give it a few more weeks.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Impatience and unrealistic goals are not a good combination.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Feeling very discouraged right now. Measured, worked out moderately and ate pretty healthy with the exception of one day.
    What does eating "pretty healthy" mean in terms of calories?

• kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Patience. It takes time to see results.
  • 50andfabu
    50andfabu Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    When you say you measured and at "pretty healthily" does that mean you tracked your calories? Were you accurate and did you stay under your calorie goal?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    You feel discourages because you have let yourself feel that way rather thna having a proper understanding of weight loss.You need to be looking at trends over time and not week to week or day to day losses. Make sure your calorie counting and thus deficit is accurate then you will lose over time. Before you start thinking you are at a plateau six weeks is what most experienced dieters might look for.

As pointed out with 20lb to lose then 2lb a week is too aggressive and you are unlikely to hit it long after the furst week. .5-1 is more likely. You will fluctuate naturally 1-4lbs a day so dont get thrown by that. Its important to get your approach right at the beginning to save yourself a lot of grief.

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Did you use a food scale ? It doesn't matter what you ate, what matters is how much you ate.

Patience is very important. It's only been 8 days. That's not enough time
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    That "except one day" bothers me. You're just starting out. One day out of 8 can ruin your entire progress.

I agree with everyone else that you need to make sure you are logging accurately and need to have some patience, but "cheat days" or whatever can really throw you off.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Your expectation was not realistic.

When somebody says that she eats "pretty healthy" I get the impression that she is not closely tracking her calories in. Then when I read "with the exception of one day" I get the impression that any calorie deficit incurred on the other days was likely erased on the exception day.

With 20 pounds to lose, .5-1 pound per week is more realistic, but even that is dependent on your starting size and activity level. And that .5-1 pound is dependent on adhering to an appropriate calorie goal, which means accurate weighing and logging.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Are you eating in a deficit?
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    If you open up your diary, we could provide you with a little feedback on why you're not seeing any results. It could be time (it's only 8 days!) or it could be that you're not being as accurate as you need to be.
  • lauralash1024
    lauralash1024 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I ate in a deficit all but one day and I did measure, used a food scale and worked out. By "pretty healthy" meant I was on target with the exception that I'd did have wine Friday & Saturday, 2 glasses each night, but it was added. (I usually try not to drink when I'm dieting because sometimes it does hinder my progress) Yesterday I had a not so great night, was a little loose on the calorie tracking and didn't eat well. Not over calories per day but ate the wrong food yesterday. I have done the same over the years and have seen weight loss within the first week by doing the same things I did this week. I guess that is why I feel discouraged.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I ate in a deficit all but one day and I did measure, used a food scale and worked out. By "pretty healthy" meant I was on target with the exception that I'd did have wine Friday & Saturday, 2 glasses each night, but it was added. (I usually try not to drink when I'm dieting because sometimes it does hinder my progress) Yesterday I had a not so great night, was a little loose on the calorie tracking and didn't eat well. Not over calories per day but ate the wrong food yesterday. I have done the same over the years and have seen weight loss within the first week by doing the same things I did this week. I guess that is why I feel discouraged.

If you're only weighing once a week, and yesterday you ate a bit more than usual or ate salty foods (such as restaurant food), then you could have fluctuated today and not realised it. And of course, what may have worked before may not always work now!

Also, what do you mean when you say you 'ate the wrong food'?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    What you eat may cause you to retain water (e.g., more carbs than usual, higher sodium than usual, etc.) but it is not going to stop you from burning fat. Wine will only hinder your progress if drinking it takes you out of a calorie deficit or if it causes you to want to eat more and then you do just that.

What is are your height, weight, and activity level? If you exercise, what do you do and how often and for how long?
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options

As I age the body becomes less forgiving. In the past I could lose with having an off day or two in a week, but not now. If I want to see maximum loss, I have to give maximum effort. Having more reasonable expectations will help you be less discouraged. Don't give up, it is possible, there are tons of us here that are living proof.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    profile still not public. If you want advise or any help on what may be going wrong then you need to open it.