Tips on making time to exercise with full time job and kids?

Options

Replies

• CoachKane
    CoachKane Posts: 8 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
  • LULU4178
    LULU4178 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Well, what worked for me to take time for myself was reading this quote "Find time to be healthy or find time to be sick." Your kids will be fine without out you sometimes. Did your parents spend every waking moment with you? Mine didn't and they were great parents. Now, as an adult, I am a productive member of society. You need to put on your own oxygen mask first. I made the switch (of putting myself at the top of the list) three years ago and my family survived. My daughter is 18 now, son 15, hubby 50. They learned how to cook their own dinners and do their own laundry. Win win! When I get home from work, I exercise for an hour. End of story. They ate and did whatever. When I finish, I check in with them and then eat. We had dinner together on the weekends or whenever I got home earlier. Chores get done by all of us on the weekends. May sound selfish--but for me it just wasn't going to "happen." You can do it!
  • kbenzacar
    kbenzacar Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I love the quote by lulu4178. But I relate to the posting. I work from home and am overloaded with work. Today I got up and right away went to my desk where I sat most of the day (except for very short breaks for the bathroom and food). I know it's not healthy to work like that but it's hopefully for only another 2-3 weeks. The problem is when I'm done, after driving kids to activities, they go to bed, and I go to bed right after. I don't know how to find the time.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Also when my kids were younger (now 21, 20 and 19), they were in soccer. When I was not coaching or helping the coach, I walked laps around the field or parking lot. Keep an extra pair of sneakers in the car so If you are picking up or dropping off for activities and have a few minutes you can get some steps in.
  • krs83301
    krs83301 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of fitnessblender.com - free site, great workout videos and you can search by type/length/equipment. I started with 5-10 minutes cause that's how long my baby was napping for. And some days I can throw in a. 50 minute... You can do it!
  • chrystenfo
    chrystenfo Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I find that I just commit to three times a week. That's only twice during the work week that I have to find the motivation. Then at least once on the weekend. I do the same with feeling guilty, or not wanting to get up. So just twice a week I throw out all of my excuses. This is sustainable for me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    You make time. Hard as it may seem, you can still work in 30 minutes a day for yourself if you're organized. Whether it's just walking or even just doing body weight exercises, if it's a priority for you, you'll fit it in.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    I just stay up late and rock out once the kids are in bed. I've been know to go jogging at 11pm because that's what time I finished bedtimestomorrowluncheskitchencleaninglaundryfoldedhousestraightened...
  • KristieJC
    KristieJC Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I am exactly where you are! It's so hard to make time between work, kids, trying to keep the house in a semi-livable condition, and never getting enough sleep. I've been bad at working exercise into my schedule also, but am able to manage it some days doing what others suggested - involving my kids. My daughter will do exercise videos with me, and it's easy to get the kids going if we're riding bikes, walking the dogs, or even dancing around the house to fun music and just being silly. This gives you exercise and time with your kids, and helps teach them some healthy habits. And something I've tried to do more recently: get the kids to help me with my chores! My kids are 6 and 10, and I've been bad about making them help, but when they do simple things like help me unload the dishwasher and fold/put up laundry, it frees up a little more time for me to spend time with them or exercise.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5 am to work out, before the kids and the hubs get up. That way it doesn't take time away from them after work. As far as chores, we're a pretty neat family, we all have our chores to keep our home clean. At the end of my usual work days it's usually only the kitchen that needs to be cleaned.
  • kirving3341
    kirving3341 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You should never feel
    Guilty for taking some time out for yourself and your health. A happy mom equals happy kids.
    Try a little Hiit in the mornings...burn more calories in a short amount of time. Evening walks/jog while kids ride bikes or walk with you?
    If you want to make working out a
    Priority all that other stuff will fall in place. Make the most of your weekends and food choices to help yourself along :) you got it!!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Teach the kids to do more chores. Additionally, pay someone to come in once a week to do cleaning and laundry.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    It's really all about commitment, dedication, priorities and creating a routine. There's nothing wrong with starting slowly, though. Four years ago when I realized I needed to make a change I started out by walking during my two 15 minute breaks at work. I then added walking during my half hour for lunch (and eating at my desk) and a few months later started running.

These days, I have set aside about an hour of my day on work days for exercise. Every other day I run 3 to 7 miles either before or after work, depending on the time of year and if I have races looming. One weekend day is a longer run (6 to 12 miles). I spend an hour at the gym, after work, strength training on the work days I don't run. One weekend day is a rest day. I work 9 hour days, have a one hour commute and go to school online. My house is being neglected a bit but my body isn't and that fits in with my priorities.
  • boricua3177
    boricua3177 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I had the same exact problem, I work full time and am a mom to a 4 year old little girl. I had a membership to Planet Fitness but I never went. By the time my husband got home from work it was pretty late & I was just too exhausted to go. So I had to make an honest assessment of myself & figure out how I can fit in exercise. My solution was joining a gym that offers group classes (which I love) AND kiddie care. That way I could go right after work with my daughter and do a 1 hour class. I dedicate 1 hour to exercise 6 times a week. I also utilize my crock pot almost daily for my meals, that way I am not clamoring around the kitchen after the gym trying to whip up a meal.
  • sarahharas5
    sarahharas5 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    You're kids are old enough to understand that you need time to keep yourself healthy.

Do a workout DVD or go for walk--if you are moving even for a little bit it will help. The more you do, the more your kids might want to join in anyway.

My boys are 4 and 2 and already know how important exercise is to me. When they wake up they ask if I've exercised yet or if I still need to. They might join in, they might watch me, or they get a half hour of play time or cartoons. I make time to exercise. It is not something I try to squeeze in I schedule it in my day just like work or other appointments.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Just start setting your alarm and do it. Write yourself out a detailed schedule if you have to, account for all your time. My biggest struggle was time management and getting distracted too easily. Now it's clockwork, and habit. FWIW, I have four kids (12, 9, 2, 1) so two that aren't in school. I work 35 hours a week, and have a full school load working on my second BA. My husband works about 80-100 hours a week. I do a lot of meal prep so that dinner is a snap and breakfast/lunch are quick. I get plenty of sleep, yup even with a one year old. I got serious about sleep training her early. I'm up at 430 every day and have about two hours to workout, then I have my coffee and email time, then the kids wake up.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I have 3 kids ages 5, 4 and 3, work a full-time job and am divorced and workout at least 5 days a week. I either get up around 5:30am to get a jog on the treadmill before they wake up, or do it at 9pm after they are in bed. If it is important to you, you will make the time and forget about the excuses. :)
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    busyPK wrote: »
    I have 3 kids ages 5, 4 and 3, work a full-time job and am divorced and workout at least 5 days a week. I either get up around 5:30am to get a jog on the treadmill before they wake up, or do it at 9pm after they are in bed. If it is important to you, you will make the time and forget about the excuses. :)

orson_wells_Slow-Clap.gif
  • LULU4178
    LULU4178 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've already chimed in but I thought of something else. Can you walk at lunch time? Can you take breaks at work? There are plenty of "office mini workouts" on YouTube. Exercise can be in short burts. How about changing into workout clothes before you drive home so that you remind yourself that you will be exercising later? That always helps me. Just start with one day. Yeah you may be tired or your feet hurt, but you will more than likely feel better after you exercised.

What really got me serious was thatI was in a bad car accident three and a half years ago. I went to many doctors, each at least half an hour away from my home, at least 3-4 times per week after work. That had to happen so I would recover--so it happened. Once I was well enough to start walking, I did so that I could continue getting better. Not going to stop now!

You can do it!
  • pandapotlovebug
    pandapotlovebug Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    LULU4178 wrote: »
    I've already chimed in but I thought of something else. Can you walk at lunch time? Can you take breaks at work? There are plenty of "office mini workouts" on YouTube. Exercise can be in short burts. How about changing into workout clothes before you drive home so that you remind yourself that you will be exercising later? That always helps me. Just start with one day. Yeah you may be tired or your feet hurt, but you will more than likely feel better after you exercised.

What really got me serious was thatI was in a bad car accident three and a half years ago. I went to many doctors, each at least half an hour away from my home, at least 3-4 times per week after work. That had to happen so I would recover--so it happened. Once I was well enough to start walking, I did so that I could continue getting better. Not going to stop now!

You can do it!

I've been in a similar situation. When you lose your ability to exercise because of injury, you basically didn't know what you had until it was gone. I was thinking to myself if I was more fit this would be easier. I was thinking, I wish I could work out right now but I can't, so as soon as I'm better, I shouldn't have any excuses. I went through this twice. But both times I lose that motivation after recovering.

I guess I'm just trying to find a way to eliminate all excuses and make at least a good 30 minutes happen every other day.

Getting up early is hard! I have to make more time for shower and hair drying.
    I find I have more time in the evening, but less energy.
    Is a 7 minute HIIT really enough to make changes?