Any patience for a beginner?

Options
I'm 22 year old female, size 16/18 with a huge chest.
SW - 212 pounds
GW - 150ish
Goal - Curvy 10/12

This is second week and I REALLY need this to stick this time, i'm determined to make it happen. I need all the opinions, advice and tips I can get. ANYTHING AT ALL :)

Plan - Gym for an hour twice weekly. 1x 30 min exercise class a week. Eat 1600 calories. Cut out as much junk without feeling deprived. Keep it simple, as I get easily frustrated and give up easily. Avoid fizzy pop.

Gym - I've only ever been twice as an adult, both times this week. For example, first 10 mins is running, running at 12 speed for 45 secs, walking at 6 for 45 seconds alternately. Then I'll add some rowing/cross trainer. 10 minutes of floorwork (circuit of 10 reps - lunges, sit-ups, Kettlewell lunge, step ups). 5 minutes rowing, 5 minutes on weight machines before cooling down on a bike. I don't really know what I'm doing so i'm just doing stuff that makes me sweat, until I'm tired.

Diet - Not too much obvious junk food. Not huge portions. Take a lunch to work so I'm not tempted by Greggs. Not counting macronutrients, just trying to stay around 1600.

Am I doing anything massively wrong, or missing something obvious? I know it's basic but I'm hoping that'll make it stick this time. I'd rather be consistently okay than have a great week before giving up.

Looking for reassurance that all this effort will be worth it. If you don't think what I'm doing will help me lose weight then please pipe up now!

Novices are annoying, so know that I really appreciate it!

Replies

• MCinBC
    MCinBC Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It is good that you already started. Plain simple, see this as math. Nothing else, nothing more. You need a deficit of calories in order to be able to lose weight. Aiming for a deficit of 500 calories should get you one pound a week gives or take.
    - You cannot "try to stay around 1600". You have to be accurate with your intake. Start to weight your food and record your eating seriously. You might get very surprised the difference between "guessing" and "accurate weight".
    - You have to create a calories deficit. Only 2 ways, eat less or burn more. I do the "burn more" by doing lot of cardio. I still eat as much as I want even chocolate cake and ice cream. But I burn between 1000 to 2000 calories daily with lot of cardio/exercises. You decide the road you want to use to lose weight.
    - One more thing about burning. One hour gym might get you 250-400 calories burned. One hour cardio can go from 600-1000. Good if your priorities are to shape your body. But if you plan to drop weight, focus on cardio.
    - Even one walk after dinner can get you 200-300 calories burned without too much suffering ;-)

All this effort will be worth. Just remember there is always a price to pay. But before long, your might not even see this as effort but part of your everyday life. Good luck!
  • PattiWalling
    PattiWalling Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If you are interested at all in lifting weights I have had very good success with that while on my journey from fat to fit. I've always heard that muscle burns more calories than fat because fat doesn't do anything but take up space.

Your statement "I need it to stick this time" resonated with me because of the hundred times I lost weight quickly only to quickly gain IT PLUS 20 or 50 or 75 or 100 lb more back. I'm 30 years your senior and I am just saying I hope you are able to find some type of activity you enjoy, cardio and/or weight lifting or whatever and fall in love with it. I was 47 before I ever seriously went to the gym to change my life. Realize you aren't in this for a quick fix you are in this for a LIFETIME fix. It's just time and time is going to pass anyway. Being consistent with whatever you decide to do is key. Work out consistently. Weigh and measure your foods so as to stay consistent with your calorie goal and to hit it each day. (I personally lost 120 lb before I counted the first calorie but I also started at 363 lb and now that I'm at 200 weighing and measuring is vital to losing the last 25 lb or so that I need to lose. BTW I am 200 lb and wear a size 12/14. I attribute that to lifting weights for the last 4 3/4 years as I have been 200 before and wearing a size 18.

If you like to dance find a Zumba class. Body Step is a new favorite for me. I went to Zumba for 2 years and enjoyed it immensely. If your gym has a rowing machine try it out. My favorite at the moment is the stair mill where I can get a great calorie burn.

If you don't already have one consider getting a Polar or My Zone or some other type heart rate monitor. My Polar keeps me informed of my heart rate at any given time and also my calorie burn.

Best of Luck,
    Patti
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Do you have a food scale? This is the only way you will know how much you are eating.
  • TristaOnTrack
    TristaOnTrack Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It's great that you have a plan! I'm pretty new here, too, so feel free to friend me!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Read this OP

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

And this OP

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1

Get a food scale
    Weigh and log everything accurately, double checking everything ...do not ever use a homemade or generic entry from MFP database
    Move more...walk, get up to change channel, get up at lunchtime ...be active ...if you want get something like a basic fitbit one or zip and wear it constantly, link it to MFP ...let it give you more calories to eat
    Log exercise with care...half machine and MFP estimated calorie burns
    Lift heavy weight ...see books like Strong Curves or New Rules of Lifting for wOmen

Commit...every single day until it becomes habit not commitment

If you're hungry and you've just eaten...wait 20 mins...go for a walk ...if you're still hungry eat something (but 9 times out of 10 you won't be)

It gets easier

It becomes habitual and then it becomes your lifestyle

• InfinitePossibilities
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for replying, feeling really positive! Just about to click those links now, thanks!
  • 6502programmer
    6502programmer Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Read. Read everything you can on here. Even nonsense prattle about cleanses, unhealthy calorie levels, and ridiculous supplements. You will learn what works for most people, and then can figure out what works for you.
  • supersocks117
    supersocks117 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Your calorie goal sounds reasonable. I would weigh and track everything - and be fine with being a little under one day and a little over another - but know that you are truly right around your goal.
    I also don;t worry too much about my macros, but I would keep an eye on them - getting more protein for example is more filling (typically) than carbs. Do I think you shouldn't have a piece of cake that fits your calories if your carbs are over? Nope. But maybe just look at the bigger picture of your macros.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Your plan seems solid and it's good that you have been honest with yourself and identified certain habits/pitfuls that you need to avoid. If you stick with it you will make great progress towards your goals.
  • lindamarg2807
    lindamarg2807 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Can I suggest getting a good pair of trainers and start walking everywhere? I have been walking around 2 hours a day for 3 weeks now to and from work and as well as making me feel good, I've lost 5lbs. I also snack on things like Ryvita with cherry tomatoes if I feel hungry. I had really sore shins the first 2 weeks but thats eased off now. I don't even think about it now, I just get up half an hour earlier and start walking - no stress or sitting on stinky buses. I usually get a lot of colds in the Winter, I'm sure from people around me sneezing - especially on public transport so hopefully I will notice a difference this year. I'm not good at keeping up gym memberships or classes as I can't be bothered going in the Winter, but I have to go to work every day so I thought I might as well use that to get fit. Keep up the good work!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Read the links above, you simply need to be asking yourself the question of how you are going to create an accurate daily deficit of 500 cals per day for 1lb weight loss a week. The big thing as you point out is you sticking to it, give it 3-4 weeks at which you will take it one day at a time and stick with it.

You will see results if you do it properly and that will enocurage you.
  • janiep81
    janiep81 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I've yo-yo'd a lot in my life, but there are a few different things this time that are helping:

1) a step counter. I know its a gimmick, but it works for me and my husband. We're motivated to see how many steps we're burning and motivated to add more.

2) Heavy weight-lifting. I saw results much faster this time because I started weight lifting early. This has motivated me to stick with it. I also love to run, but not everyone does. I personally use the program in the book, The New Rules of Lifting for Women, but there are other ones out there.

3) Protein. I know you don't want to count macros. I don't count mine as closely as I should, but I definitely intentionally choose lean protein and that makes a difference. I eat lean meat, whole grains, and greek yogurt every day and it helps me stay full.
  • 50andfabu
    50andfabu Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    This is a great discussion. Useful tips for everyone. Re: fizzy drinks, I fill a glass with ice, add some lemon and lime wedges and add soda water...tasty substitute for soda and I really like it.

The hardest part for me is learning patience! Accept that it takes time. The other great think I learned here is that I can eat whatever I want as long as it fits in my calorie goal. That was a huge insight for me because I was always looking at low-carb or eliminate something and has made a huge difference in my ability to commit this time.

Oh, and all activity counts, not just formal exercise, so anytime you can move a bit more, do it. (5 minute walk or a few minutes of vacuuming...)

Good luck to you.
  • kirving3341
    kirving3341 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your doing a good job. Don't forget WATER WATER WATER throughout the day. When I go to the gym I always start with cardio...treadmill or stair master, then move to weights. Some days I go a steady pace and get in 30-40 mins of cardio and others days I do high intensity style for short period of time. High Intensity and weights will continue to burn calories post workout!!
    Just keep eating good foods to fuel your body and be patient!!
  • sharonmcweenie
    sharonmcweenie Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on "it has to stick this time"... I can't tell you how many times I've said that to myself!!

My latest mantra... I can do ANYTHING for 15 minutes. When the treadmill gets hard, tell yourself you can do anything for 15 minutes. If you think you're hungry, drink a bunch of water and tell yourself that you can wait 15 minutes to eat. If you decide to sit down and binge watch a TV show instead of going to the gym, allow yourself 15 minutes of TV watching, and then get back up again... grab a vacuum or dust cloth and clean while you're watching! I've been really surprised at how that 15 minute mentality has gotten me through some tough times!

Also... I totally agree with whoever suggested that you get a FitBit. I got myself the FitBit One and it's just what I need... I wear it every day, even on my slug days!! They have a great app, too. Plus... it's an awareness thing... you know you're counting steps and calories burned, so you're more motivated to push yourself out of slug mode on your slow days.

It really is a mental game, isn't it? Frustrating... but totally doable!! You can do anything for 15 minutes!! :smiley:

Friend me... let's do it together!! I have about 120lbs to lose... I'll be here a while!
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'd rather be consistently okay than have a great week before giving up.

This, in a nutshell, makes me believe you will succeed.

A sub optimal plan executed consistently over time will generate far superior results to the best plan in the world which is followed irregularly.

Your current plan sound good. Keep at it, make small improvements continuously as you learn, be patient, always keep the long term in view. Do that and your results will be amazing.

You know most people's problem? They talk just too damn much. If they spent as much time doing as they did yakking they would achieve their goals sooner.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Make small goals, weigh and log everything, and if you're exercising, either get a HR monitor, or only eat back about half of what MFP or the gym machines tell you. MFP and gym machines calculate your calories burned using average stats to give you an estimate, and unless you're completely average in every measurement they use, it will be off. If you get some kind of heart rate monitor, you can be a lot more accurate.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you have to find your own reason for losing weight, not what people have told your or what you think you should do. Take a good, honest look at WHY you're losing weight. Doing so gives you a much stronger reason for it, and that makes a difference when you feel like giving up. For example, I knew I needed to lose weight, my doctor told me to lose weight, and I tried a few times and gave up. It wasn't until I got my wedding pictures back and realized I was fat in them before I was able to stick with it. When I felt like giving up, I just had to look at our wedding picture. That gave me the motivation to keep going, even when I messed up. So find your own reason and that will help you over the hard parts.

And there will be hard parts. Days you go over by accident, days you just don't care. They don't make you a failure as long as you pick yourself back up and keep going. Log it and start fresh next day. As long as you keep going, even if you stumble, you'll get there.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have the right idea and are going about this the right way. I'm sure I'm covering what others have already said, but sometimes hearing the same thing in a different way helps them to stick. :smile:

Forget what you think you know about weight loss. You don't need to eat "healthy" or "clean" to lose weight. There's no magical combination of foods to eat (or avoid) unless you have a medical issue. Eating after a certain time of day won't store fat. No foods "burn fat" and you can't reduce fat in one specific area by doing something special. Drinking lots of water doesn't have an affect on weight loss. I think that covers most of it. Losing weight is all about eating less calories than your body burns each day. Exercise is for fitness and to give yourself more calories to eat, if you want.

You've gotten a lot of advice but I think the most important bit is to take it slow. Baby steps! Try to change too much all at once and you'll likely end up overwhelmed. Instead, make little changes and keep doing those things until they become habit then add another change. Right now, that change should be getting into the habit of weighing and measuring your food and logging every single thing you eat and drink; everything down to chewing gum and vitamins. Log it all and be brutally honest with yourself. You may not like what you're seeing but you'll learn a lot more if you can correlate what you're eating with how many calories it contains.

If you don't own a kitchen scale, buy one and use it. Most food should be weighed, not measured; even salad dressing and peanut butter packaging gives servings in grams. If you're inaccurate with your logging your results will not be what you think they should be. Strive to stay at or just under or over the calorie goal MFP sets for you every single day. Don't worry about sugar, carbs, fat and protein for now. Once you get logging and meeting your calorie goal you can focus on those things as well as figuring out your TDEE, BMR, etc.

Exercise isn't needed for weight loss but it's important for fitness and overall health. There are many things you can do outside of the gym. Park at the back of the parking lot, take the stairs instead of the elevator, walk on your breaks at work. Later, find an exercise activity that you like whether that's walking, running, swimming, biking, Zumba, or whatever. If you like it you'll be more likely to stick with it. Working out shouldn't be something you dread each day.

Consider strength training right from the start, it has huge benefits. You'll not only lose more fat but your metabolism will be higher. Maintaining muscle is much easier than building new muscle and your body has built up extra to carry your excess weight. If you can keep most of the muscle you already have while losing fat, you're going to look amazing when you get to your goal weight!

Take "before" pictures so you can better judge your progress visually. Results on the measuring tape are more important than those on the bathroom scale. Measure your chest, waist, hips, thighs and any other body part you want to track and start recording them in MFP now. When the scale isn't moving your body might still be shrinking especially if you're lifting weights.

The most important thing right now is that what you're doing is sustainable. You shouldn't be trying to reach an end goal weight but changing your eating habits for life so you don't gain the weight back. That means that whichever way you're eating while you lose weight should be the way you plan to eat once you reach your goal, just a little more of it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice above! Only two things to add:

1. Keep your eyes open, and devote a little mindshare to finding some exercise that you find funFunFUN - something you want to do because you love it, not just because it's good for you. This doesn't have to be instant, but sample some things and see if you can find something over time.

2. Did anyone mention sleep? Get some. In fact, get plenty - at least 7-8 hours per night if at all possible.
  • InfinitePossibilities
    Options
    Wow. So much information.
    It's a lot to take in but the basics seem clear. Thank you all so much for taking this time to feedback. I've bought a food scale and started logging EVERYTHING so let's see how it goes :)