Insulin resistant type 2 diabetic. Advice please??

Options
124»

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    gainesma wrote: »
    Vixxie75 wrote: »
    I've been T2 for 12 years, 18 months ago my levels when mad after 10.5 years stable. My Diabetic nurse put me on a slow release insulin and for a few months I was fine but then things went mad again. So she put me on a fast release insulin but I was upping and upping it and although every so often it lowered my levels, most of the time they didn't change.
    Then my Diabetic Nurse was rushed into ICU and was signed off for at least a year so the GP's nurse took over. At my first appointment she said 'Of course it's not working, you've had Pancreatis so you're insulin resistant' She then signed me up to see a consultant and off I was sent.

Tomorrow is my appointment with the consultant and to be honest I'm scared of what he'd going to say. I've tried to find stuff online but the only mention of IR is connected to Pre T2 Diabetes. I'm not Pre I'm already T2! So what is he going to say? If I'm resistant to insulin loading me up with more isn't going to work. So will they treat me as a Type 1 or leave me to struggle as I am?
    I've tried everything but nothing works! Diet doesn't seem to change anything. Put it this way I eat very similar things each day. You can see yesterday's food diary, this morning my levels have dropped and I got a 5.4. I had the same thing to eat one day last week and my level the next day was 9.8! There's no logic to it! Even exercise doesn't do anything. It doesn't matter if I walk miles or sit down all day. It doesn't lower or increase my levels.

Ok I'm rambling. The bottom line is I'm desperately scared I'm going to be told there's nothing that can be done and I'll just go on with bad levels and loose my eyesight and legs. Yeah I know that's dramatic but I've seen my friends aunt loose her eyesight because her diabetes was badly managed. She's in her 50's and has 5% vision left.

If anyone has any advice please let me know. Even if it's just questions to ask tomorrow.

Thanks
    Vicki x

■■■REQUEST AN INSULIN SENSITIVITY TEST, YOU NEED TO KNOW IF YOU'RE SECRETING ENOUGH INSULIN.

Most type 2 diabetics over secrete insulin. The cells just don't respond to insulin as well anymore. But if you're not secreting enough insulin you need to know that because this would mean you're moving toward type 1 diabetes.

Bottom Line low carbohydrate (30 grams or less) per day with high fat and moderate protein is highly effective and couple that with leisurely walks bike riding etc further helps.

I'm 12 weeks into ketogenic diet and was taking 2000 mg metformin & Novolog fast insulin x5 times a day and a lantus slow acting insulin on nightimes. I was a diabetic T2 nightmare.

By day 3 severely restricting carbohydrates & s with 60 day ugars as per above eating 70 to 75% fat 20% protein & 5% or less carbs my blood sugars began to normalize. I stopped all diabetes drugs and my blood sugars are so greatly improved they are most normal without drugs.

Prior to my ketogenic diet, I had sugar swings from 55 to over 300 with 60 day averages of 155 to 170. Morning fasting sugars always 150 or> even while dosing with slow lantus insulin at night.

With my diet change my swings c are from 90 to 135 with about a 119 60 day average. This is without all that crap insulin doctors were forcing down my throat...FATS LOWER BLOOD SUGAR ESPECIALLY WELL WHEN YOU'RE RESTRICTING SUGARS IN YOUR DIET. You need to remember sugar is carbohydrate. They are 100%;identical twins.

So I EAT Eggs COOKED IN BUTTER, BACON, CHEESE, HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM, HALF N HALF, SAUSAGE THE FATTER THE BETTER, CHICKEN SKIN ON BUT DARK MEAT ONLY UNLESS I HAVE BUTTER TO DIP THE BREAST MEAT INTO X I EAT AVOCADO A DAY. FISH, PORK, STEAK.AS F AS T AS I CAN GET THEM, SHELL FISH etc. Low carbohydrate chili, etc. I eat coconut oil, avocado oil, olive oil..I make homemade dark chocolate bark and eat it when I want it just use your favorite sweetner, I only eat dark green vegetables and v always with bacon fat or butter ( fats extract maximum nutrients from your greens ) I make chocolate fat coffee frequently. S o eat a salad just smother it with fatty dugar free blue cheese dressing.

I never eat starchy potato, never eat sugar, never eat flour, never eat grains of any kind as they are all full of carbohydrates

I don't go crazy on protein portions because we can only use so much protein in a day. But I eat enough to insure muscles receive the benefits. Also Protein HAS Trace CARBOHYDRATES While FAT HAS none. So eat to much protein and you can spike insulin and blood sugars.

You can't cheat on this diet and expect great results. The goal is to convert your body from using sugar for energy to burning your own body fat for energy. You only get here by becoming a carbohydrate expert and avoiding them like the olague. When you toss carbohydrates you replace them most with high fat options.

Just try it,nit won't kill you to ride a few days of high sugars to see if you can get results like mine or not. Keep in mind a fatty liver could hold up to 2000 calories in sugars in reserve. An added day of fasting or two will equally help to burn up liver stored sugars. Keep in mind the liver will always try to convert some fats into sugar and store it, so intermittent fasting can greatly help you to keep your liver burning that up while it mostly works yo convert fat into ketones to fuel your brain and body.

Get GI Joe angry here and don't be afraid of fats they aren't the problem. I best coconut oil right off the spoon like it's peanut butter. It's works.

You cannot "move toward bring Type 1. Type 2 NEVER turns into Type 1. Type 1 is an autoimmune disease. It's entirely different.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    A diet high in animal fat can lead to cardio-vascular disease. Diabetes + cardio-vascular is a recipe for disaster. The arteries get a one two punch, weakened by one and made brittle by the other. Stoke or heart attach in the waiting.
    ETA: Any 80+ year olds out there who have ate diets high in animal fat for 30+ years to control diabetes? I don't know any.

My guess is that there aren't any because those eating lots of animal fats did not get diabetes. Just my guess.

The link between saturated fats and heart disease is not strong and getting weaker with each new research study. From what I have read in the last few years, it's now thought that diets high in sugars and less healthy carbs (grains and starches) are more to blame than fats; along with the inflammation they can cause.

Plus high fats, and the lowered carbs that often accompany it, reduce triglycerides, lower LDL, and raise HDL.

I'd be interested in seeing those studies.

Here is one that states the opposite http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/25/3/620.full
    They find that consumption of a high-fat diet and high intakes of saturated fat are associated with an increased risk of type 2 diabetes.
  • gdmanley
    gdmanley Posts: 17 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I have chronic pancreatitis and have had a distal pancreatectomy with splenectomy. The chronic Panc. diagnosis is about 9 yrs. old and you should not only be on a low carb diet, but also low fat. Anything that is difficult for your body to digest i.e., fats, can set off a pancreatic episode. You also will have to learn the other dietary items that your body has difficulty digesting - it may be pork, beef, tomatoes, cucumbers, or any number of things. You should also be taking digestive enzymes to allow your pancreas to rest and not have to do all the work when you eat. Lastly, you should be on one of the newer meds that decrease your insulin resistance ( I take Invokamet) so that the insulin you are taking is doing the best job.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    http://www.livescience.com/48969-heart-disease-diabetes-risks-carbohydrate-saturated-fat.html
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/71/6/1455.full
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/carbs-against-cardio/

I did just a quick search and these articles came up in the first five. I don't keep articles on hand- I read them and move on. If you want to look at some books, read Bernstein, or the Cholesterol Myth, or anything by Taubes.
  • christineja
    christineja Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    @christineja I do 45 per meal, why are you aiming for 20 ?

I was asking if anyone else had done under 20 long term because for me that's hard to do day in and day out. At this point I'm able to control my levels entirely with diet, and the lower I keep my carb counts the better I do. Meals that clock 20-25 do barely nudge me, but like I wrote, I find that hard to sustain long term. I average closer to your 45 than 20 because I do like fruit, dairy, grains, etc. and I like a varied diet.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I've been T2 for 12 years, 18 months ago my levels when mad after 10.5 years stable. My Diabetic nurse put me on a slow release insulin and for a few months I was fine but then things went mad again. So she put me on a fast release insulin but I was upping and upping it and although every so often it lowered my levels, most of the time they didn't change.
    Then my Diabetic Nurse was rushed into ICU and was signed off for at least a year so the GP's nurse took over. At my first appointment she said 'Of course it's not working, you've had Pancreatis so you're insulin resistant' She then signed me up to see a consultant and off I was sent.

Tomorrow is my appointment with the consultant and to be honest I'm scared of what he'd going to say. I've tried to find stuff online but the only mention of IR is connected to Pre T2 Diabetes. I'm not Pre I'm already T2! So what is he going to say? If I'm resistant to insulin loading me up with more isn't going to work. So will they treat me as a Type 1 or leave me to struggle as I am?
    I've tried everything but nothing works! Diet doesn't seem to change anything. Put it this way I eat very similar things each day. You can see yesterday's food diary, this morning my levels have dropped and I got a 5.4. I had the same thing to eat one day last week and my level the next day was 9.8! There's no logic to it! Even exercise doesn't do anything. It doesn't matter if I walk miles or sit down all day. It doesn't lower or increase my levels.

Ok I'm rambling. The bottom line is I'm desperately scared I'm going to be told there's nothing that can be done and I'll just go on with bad levels and loose my eyesight and legs. Yeah I know that's dramatic but I've seen my friends aunt loose her eyesight because her diabetes was badly managed. She's in her 50's and has 5% vision left.

If anyone has any advice please let me know. Even if it's just questions to ask tomorrow.

Thanks
    Vicki x

■■■REQUEST AN INSULIN SENSITIVITY TEST, YOU NEED TO KNOW IF YOU'RE SECRETING ENOUGH INSULIN.

Most type 2 diabetics over secrete insulin. The cells just don't respond to insulin as well anymore. But if you're not secreting enough insulin you need to know that because this would mean you're moving toward type 1 diabetes.

Bottom Line low carbohydrate (30 grams or less) per day with high fat and moderate protein is highly effective and couple that with leisurely walks bike riding etc further helps.

I'm 12 weeks into ketogenic diet and was taking 2000 mg metformin & Novolog fast insulin x5 times a day and a lantus slow acting insulin on nightimes. I was a diabetic T2 nightmare.

By day 3 severely restricting carbohydrates & s with 60 day ugars as per above eating 70 to 75% fat 20% protein & 5% or less carbs my blood sugars began to normalize. I stopped all diabetes drugs and my blood sugars are so greatly improved they are most normal without drugs.

Prior to my ketogenic diet, I had sugar swings from 55 to over 300 with 60 day averages of 155 to 170. Morning fasting sugars always 150 or> even while dosing with slow lantus insulin at night.

With my diet change my swings c are from 90 to 135 with about a 119 60 day average. This is without all that crap insulin doctors were forcing down my throat...FATS LOWER BLOOD SUGAR ESPECIALLY WELL WHEN YOU'RE RESTRICTING SUGARS IN YOUR DIET. You need to remember sugar is carbohydrate. They are 100%;identical twins.

So I EAT Eggs COOKED IN BUTTER, BACON, CHEESE, HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM, HALF N HALF, SAUSAGE THE FATTER THE BETTER, CHICKEN SKIN ON BUT DARK MEAT ONLY UNLESS I HAVE BUTTER TO DIP THE BREAST MEAT INTO X I EAT AVOCADO A DAY. FISH, PORK, STEAK.AS F AS T AS I CAN GET THEM, SHELL FISH etc. Low carbohydrate chili, etc. I eat coconut oil, avocado oil, olive oil..I make homemade dark chocolate bark and eat it when I want it just use your favorite sweetner, I only eat dark green vegetables and v always with bacon fat or butter ( fats extract maximum nutrients from your greens ) I make chocolate fat coffee frequently. S o eat a salad just smother it with fatty dugar free blue cheese dressing.

I never eat starchy potato, never eat sugar, never eat flour, never eat grains of any kind as they are all full of carbohydrates

I don't go crazy on protein portions because we can only use so much protein in a day. But I eat enough to insure muscles receive the benefits. Also Protein HAS Trace CARBOHYDRATES While FAT HAS none. So eat to much protein and you can spike insulin and blood sugars.

You can't cheat on this diet and expect great results. The goal is to convert your body from using sugar for energy to burning your own body fat for energy. You only get here by becoming a carbohydrate expert and avoiding them like the olague. When you toss carbohydrates you replace them most with high fat options.

Just try it,nit won't kill you to ride a few days of high sugars to see if you can get results like mine or not. Keep in mind a fatty liver could hold up to 2000 calories in sugars in reserve. An added day of fasting or two will equally help to burn up liver stored sugars. Keep in mind the liver will always try to convert some fats into sugar and store it, so intermittent fasting can greatly help you to keep your liver burning that up while it mostly works yo convert fat into ketones to fuel your brain and body.

Get GI Joe angry here and don't be afraid of fats they aren't the problem. I best coconut oil right off the spoon like it's peanut butter. It's works.

You cannot "move toward bring Type 1. Type 2 NEVER turns into Type 1. Type 1 is an autoimmune disease. It's entirely different.

Which is proof enough that this poster really does not understand his own illness. Too busy trying to fight a magic cure and prove to his drs they know nothing?
  • daniwilford
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Having more than one illness I am trying to fight, namely pre-diabetes, temporary ischemic attacks, and diverticulitis, I find that I need a more balanced approach to incorporate lower fat, lower carbs, higher protein and high fiber in my diet. When balance is lost, the cure for one can be a complicating factor of another disease. These highly restrictive diets just instinctively seem wrong to me.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

Thanks
    Vicki x

Which is proof enough that this poster really does not understand his own illness. Too busy trying to fight a magic cure and prove to his drs they know nothing?

My guess is that this poster meant pancreatic burn out. Some T2s end up needing insulin the same way, or almost the same way, that T1s do.
  • K8w83
    K8w83 Posts: 12 Member
    Options

Thanks
    Vicki x

My guess is that this poster meant pancreatic burn out. Some T2s end up needing insulin the same way, or almost the same way, that T1s do.

But being an insulin dependent type 2 doesn't make you type 1 as the poster would know if they'd done research into the diseases. I'd be loath to accept advice about diabetes from someone who doesn't understand the difference.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Pebblish wrote: »

Thanks
    Vicki x

But being an insulin dependent type 2 doesn't make you type 1 as the poster would know if they'd done research into the diseases. I'd be loath to accept advice about diabetes from someone who doesn't understand the difference.

Exactly. T1D can have other autoimmune diseases come about as well since that's what it is. If someone thinks their T2 turned into T1 and starts reading about that, they will likely start to worry unnecessarily they are at risk for all sorts of other autoimmune diseases too.
    Just because your treatment changes doesn't mean your disease does.
    My dad has lung cancer. It's gone at the moment but the likelihood of it showing up in his brain at some point is a possibility. It's still technically lung cancer, because it's the same type of cancer cells. It just tends to reoccur in the brain...
  • Vixxie75
    Vixxie75 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks every one. Sorry I've not got back to say it sooner! Things have been busy so I've not been on my laptop.

Things are going much better. I'm back on slow release insulin but a different type. Apparently most GP's won't prescribe this one because of the expense but the consultant felt it was best for me so they've had no choice! Well after 3 days I've been getting low 5's every morning! Bit better than 9+ that I was getting! Also he's given me control over the dose. Every 3 days I have to decide if I increase or decrease the dose by 2mg. So no more weekly visits to the doctors for the nurse to decide whether to change it.

I'm on a low GI diet now, well starting to be! I'm trying to stick to low GI foods but I'm still finding my daily carbs are more than 50% but it's only been a few days so I can't expect miracles! I've got to retrain myself after 12 years of high carbs.

Plus to add to the good news, I've lost nearly 3kg in 4 days! I weighed myself again this morning because I couldn't believe it yesterday and yep, I'm still nearly 3kg down! I'm also getting more mobile. I walked 4k yesterday. I'm still not fast but when you walk with a frame you can't expect miracles!

Thanks for the support and if any one wants to add me feel free x
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Thanks every one. Sorry I've not got back to say it sooner! Things have been busy so I've not been on my laptop.

Things are going much better. I'm back on slow release insulin but a different type.
    Apparently most GP's won't prescribe this one because of the expense but the consultant felt it was best for me so they've had no choice! Well after 3 days I've been getting low 5's every morning! Bit better than 9+ that I was getting! Also he's given me control over the dose. Every 3 days I have to decide if I increase or decrease the dose by 2mg. So no more weekly visits to the doctors for the nurse to decide whether to change it.

I'm on a low GI diet now, well starting to be! I'm trying to stick to low GI foods but I'm still finding my daily carbs are more than 50% but it's only been a few days so I can't expect miracles! I've got to retrain myself after 12 years of high carbs.

Plus to add to the good news, I've lost nearly 3kg in 4 days! I weighed myself again this morning because I couldn't believe it yesterday and yep, I'm still nearly 3kg down! I'm also getting more mobile. I walked 4k yesterday. I'm still not fast but when you walk with a frame you can't expect miracles!

Good news. Thanks for the update. :)

• daniwilford
    Options

Things are going much better. I'm back on slow release insulin but a different type. Apparently most GP's won't prescribe this one because of the expense but the consultant felt it was best for me so they've had no choice! Well after 3 days I've been getting low 5's every morning! Bit better than 9+ that I was getting! Also he's given me control over the dose. Every 3 days I have to decide if I increase or decrease the dose by 2mg. So no more weekly visits to the doctors for the nurse to decide whether to change it.

Great work, I am so glad this new insulin is working better for you. It will only help you feel like moving more if things are under control. It will be a positive cycle now, the better you feel, the more you move and eat right, the better you feel, the more weight you will lose, repeat.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    http://www.livescience.com/48969-heart-disease-diabetes-risks-carbohydrate-saturated-fat.html
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/71/6/1455.full
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/carbs-against-cardio/

I did just a quick search and these articles came up in the first five. I don't keep articles on hand- I read them and move on. If you want to look at some books, read Bernstein, or the Cholesterol Myth, or anything by Taubes.
    Taubes? I'm afraid I won't be able to hear his name for the next month without thinking this:
    11924898_10154121238389992_1140912673997205572_n.jpg?oh=b798156cbd560f54b2782eae81dfd655&oe=5641D5C1